Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion…

Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Routledge… (original 1990; edition 2006)

by Judith Butler

Member:cesarschirmer
Title:Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity (Routledge Classics)
Authors:Judith Butler
Info:Routledge (2006), Edition: 1, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:ontology

Gender Trouble: Feminism and the Subversion of Identity by Judith Butler (1990)

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
An interesting take on what it means to be a feminist. ( )
  KendraFitz | Feb 27, 2017 |
The best argument for (relatively) contemporary Continental Philosophy and Feminism being senseless, masturbatory pap is this book.

The vast majority of it is dedicated to an exegesis of exegeses of Freudian and Lacanian theories of gender formation; perhaps, at most, a page or two's worth, total says something interesting about gender in an useful context.

An exemplar of academic insularity and the peacock's tail effect at their finest. ( )
  noonaut | Jan 19, 2017 |
My academic and professional background is in public policy/program evaluation, so I have some academic theory under my belt from social science courses, but it's in political science and sociology, not gender studies. As a result, there are some parts of Gender Trouble I struggled with as I have never read Foucault, Zizek, and other "pure" theorists. There are passages I had to reread to understand. I'm getting the big picture takeaways, though. I'll also note that in my version, which is a recent revised edition, Butler's own introduction notes critiques of the book that have helped me understand it -- mostly regarding the evolving views of gender that young third-wavers interested in intersectionality (which is where I count myself) might better connect with. ( )
  sparemethecensor | Mar 21, 2016 |
Still groundbreaking, nearly 25 years after its first publication. ( )
  brleach | Jan 26, 2015 |
This book, which I unfortunately had to read twice, says that gender doesn't really exist; it is merely a social construction. If you don't know that already, you might give this book a skim, though it is really poorly written and often self-contradictory. However, if you understand that, and want to to move on in some direction, there's nothing here to grab onto. Just as an example of the the kind of morass this book leads you into: If there is no gender, than there is no such thing as homosexuality or heterosexuality, since those labels are applied to people based on the gender of their love object. On one level, I can go along with that. But here's the problem: I am attracted to humans with facial hair and penises and so are my gay male friends. But I'm perceived by the world as a heterosexual woman and can pursue my interests without societal approbation or interference. My gay friends can not. In Butler's world this has no meaning (except for an appreciation of the different gender performances each of us puts on). The book makes no acknowledgment of this oppression, nor does it provide a theoretical base to work from if you're going to do anything about it. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 18, 2014 |
For the most part, feminist theory has assumed that there is some existing identity, understood through the category of women, who not only initiates feminist interests and goals within discourse, but constitutes the subject for whom political representation is pursued.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0415389550, Paperback)

In a new introduction to the 10th-anniversary edition of Gender Trouble--among the two or three most influential books (and by far the most popular) in the field of gender studies--Judith Butler explains the complicated critical response to her groundbreaking arguments and the ways her ideas have evolved as a result. Nevertheless, she has resisted the urge to revise what has become a feminist classic (as well as an elegant defense of drag, given Butler's emphasis on the performative nature of gender). The book was produced, according to Butler, "as part of the cultural life of a collective struggle that has had, and will continue to have, some success in increasing the possibilities for a livable life for those who live, or try to live, on the sexual margins." An attack on the essentialism of French feminist theory and its basis in structuralist anthropology, Gender Trouble expands to address the cultural prejudices at play in genetic studies of sex determination, as well as the uses of gender parody, and also provides a critical genealogy of the naturalization of sex. A primer in gender studies--and sexy reading for college cafés. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:55 -0400)

Arguing that traditional feminism is wrong to look to a natural notion of the female, or indeed of sex or gender, this book questions the category 'woman' and examines 'the masculine' and 'the feminine'. It considers gender as a reiterated social 'performance' rather than the expression of a prior reality.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,764,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible