Go, Dog. Go! by P. D. Eastman

Go, Dog. Go! (1961)

by P. D. Eastman

I liked this "beginning readers" book for the purpose it seemed to be designed for, but it was not the most interesting read. However, I liked that it featured canine characters, as I love dogs, and I did even more so when I was a child. A lot of the sentences in this book are repetitive, with just slight variations, which make it much easier for a beginning reader to read as they aren't constantly being exposed to many unfamiliar words. The central message of this book was not abundantly obvious to me, as I believe it was written more with the purpose of helping a child learn to read than to tell a particularly moving story, but I believe the main idea is about acceptance of others. ( )
  AdamLarson | Dec 9, 2014 |
This book was pretty good because although it stayed on the surface, it had great illustrations and is a fun book to get kids interested in reading. The book has a quick pace, and shallow characters. The book doesn't make the reader think about anything, but the reader has fun while going on crazy adventures with the dogs. ( )
  tburfe1 | Dec 2, 2014 |
Great book for early readers. Children enjoy reading this one to adults to show how far they have come along in their reading, yet it brings them a good laugh. ( )
  magarcia | Nov 30, 2014 |
The big message of this story is to teach repetition and rhyming to students. As a child this was one of my favorite books. I like how repetitive the book is. For example, when the dogs greet each other and say good bye to each other it happens a few times. Another reason I liked it was the pictures. They show everything that is happening in the story. ( )
  rjayne2 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Go, Dog. Go Is a book by P.D. Eastman in the Beginner Books collection which stems from the Dr. Seuss series. I enjoyed this book very much because of its use of words and its use of motion. The book uses various sight words and prepositions throughout the story. This book is wonderful for introducing prepositions since it uses very simple sentences. Also, almost every page in this book has some sort of motion in the text as well as the pictures. On every page there is a dog moving in a transportation vehicle or jumping, running, and climbing. This sense of motion makes the book very exciting to read and introduces modes of transportation like boats, helicopters, and cars. The main idea of this book is to increase reader fluency since there is no story to this book. ( )
  patrickduster | Oct 17, 2014 |
To Cluny
Dog.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800206, Hardcover)

Life lessons? Romance? Literary instruction? Go, Dog. Go! offers all this and more, wrapped up in one simply worded, warmly hued package. Using single-syllable words in rhythmic repetition, and introducing colors and prepositions, this Seuss-styled classic has been an early favorite of children since 1961. For those looking for deeper meaning in a beginning reader book, here you'll find nothing less than a microcosm of life. Green dogs, yellow dogs, big dogs, little dogs. Dogs who prefer cars, dogs who favor skis. All represent the diversity a child will find in the world. And the slow-to-bud romance between the cheerfully oblivious yellow dog and the mincing pink poodle explains more succinctly than most self-help books what goes on in many grown-up relationships. Nonetheless, Eastman takes the concept of "primary" to heart, with his simple silly phrases and solidly colored illustrations. Not only will this book inspire peals of laughter in kids, it will also help them make the magical connection between those mysterious black squiggles on the page, and the words they hear and speak. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

A vocabulary-building story about dogs engaged in every imaginable type of activity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,329,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible