Go, Dog. Go! by P. D. Eastman

Go, Dog. Go! (1961)

by P. D. Eastman

The big message of this story is to teach repetition and rhyming to students. As a child this was one of my favorite books. I like how repetitive the book is. For example, when the dogs greet each other and say good bye to each other it happens a few times. Another reason I liked it was the pictures. They show everything that is happening in the story. ( )
  rjayne2 | Oct 23, 2014 |
Go, Dog. Go Is a book by P.D. Eastman in the Beginner Books collection which stems from the Dr. Seuss series. I enjoyed this book very much because of its use of words and its use of motion. The book uses various sight words and prepositions throughout the story. This book is wonderful for introducing prepositions since it uses very simple sentences. Also, almost every page in this book has some sort of motion in the text as well as the pictures. On every page there is a dog moving in a transportation vehicle or jumping, running, and climbing. This sense of motion makes the book very exciting to read and introduces modes of transportation like boats, helicopters, and cars. The main idea of this book is to increase reader fluency since there is no story to this book. ( )
  patrickduster | Oct 17, 2014 |
Go, Dog. Go! is a book that is for young children that uses many sight words that children learn early on. It has good vocabulary but there is very little story line. This book is written by P.D. Eastman and is similar to many Dr. Seuss books. Although loved by many I cannot say that I like this book. I just do not believe that it is interesting enough to keep the interest of young readers.
With that being said, I have to say that the language was simple and easy. Many of the words were repeated over and over making it easier for the young reader to read. Phrases like “big dog and little dog, red dog, blue dog, and yellow dog are throughout the book. The sentences are quite short and easy to read. I realize that this is good thing for new readers but it does not excite me and did not even as a child.
The illustrations are drawn in order to match the words in the story so that the child reading can use the pictures to help him read the sentences. This makes sense from a reading point of view. They are fun and colorful and appealed to the audience the book is intended for.
Finally there is not any plot to this story. Every page or every 2-3 pages have similar text relating to something in particular. For example, there are a couple dogs that meet a different times throughout the book and the dialogue is as follows: “Hello.” “Hello.” “Do you like my hat?” “I do not like it.” “Good-by” “Good-by.” By repeating the word and phrases over and over again it helps the reader be successful.
Although I understand the purpose of the a beginning reader book I can say that I do not like this particular one. I am hoping that there will be others that I like better. ( )
  AlexWyatt | Sep 14, 2014 |
One of the nightly requests for about a year. This book is jammed packed with examples of colors, adverbs, conflicting interests, and most of all dogs. Children really pay attention to this one when read with different voices. Fun for about the first week to parents.
Happy Reading Kids! ( )
  wickedshizuku | May 12, 2014 |
To this day, my mom and I still act out:
"Hello again"
"Goodbye"
1 vote k8seren | Feb 6, 2014 |
To Cluny
Dog.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0394800206, Hardcover)

Life lessons? Romance? Literary instruction? Go, Dog. Go! offers all this and more, wrapped up in one simply worded, warmly hued package. Using single-syllable words in rhythmic repetition, and introducing colors and prepositions, this Seuss-styled classic has been an early favorite of children since 1961. For those looking for deeper meaning in a beginning reader book, here you'll find nothing less than a microcosm of life. Green dogs, yellow dogs, big dogs, little dogs. Dogs who prefer cars, dogs who favor skis. All represent the diversity a child will find in the world. And the slow-to-bud romance between the cheerfully oblivious yellow dog and the mincing pink poodle explains more succinctly than most self-help books what goes on in many grown-up relationships. Nonetheless, Eastman takes the concept of "primary" to heart, with his simple silly phrases and solidly colored illustrations. Not only will this book inspire peals of laughter in kids, it will also help them make the magical connection between those mysterious black squiggles on the page, and the words they hear and speak. (Ages 4 to 8)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:09 -0400)

A vocabulary-building story about dogs engaged in every imaginable type of activity.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,404,975 books! | Top bar: Always visible