The Three Cabritos by Eric A. Kimmel

The Three Cabritos

by Eric A. Kimmel

353321,274 (4)2
    Cactus Soup by Eric A. Kimmel (fugitive)
    fugitive: Folk tales available in Spanish language editions. "Sopa de Cactus" is a version of the classic "Stone Soup" tale, and "Los Tres Cabritos" is "The Three Billy Goats Gruff."

I think that this is a great book! The first thing that I liked about this book was it's appeal to Mexican culture. I think that it is awesome that the author retold the story, "The Three Billy Goats Gruff" in a Mexican culture. I also like the author's use of dialogue in this book. The three cabritos or goats talk amongst each other and their mother a lot in the book. For example, on one page, the goat says, "Let's go!" and then immediately on the next page, the mother says, "Don't go!" i think that all of the dialogue included in the book makes the book interesting and fun to read. I also like how the author used a real legendary creature in Mexico to be the "danger" in the book or the antagonist. The use of Chupacabra makes the book so much more relative to the Mexican culture and really puts it into perspective as to what a Mexican farm animal should shy away from or be afraid of. I think that the author's use of dialogue is also very effective in portraying the central message. The central message is to face one's fears or dangers and have enough courage to overcome it. Throughout the book, the mother and Cabritos were afraid of the Chupacabra. For instance, on one page, one of the Cabritos said, "I'm skinny and weak...Let me go. Please!" Towards the end of the book, however; one of the Cabritos mustered up enough strength to face the Chupacabra and said to it, "I have a magic accordion. When I play it, everyone has to keep dancing until I stop." This Cabrito ended up playing his accordion until the Chupacabra shriveled up. ( )
  abreck2 | Oct 29, 2013 |
I'm not terribly fond of this fairytale - bad memories from childhood! But this is a unique interpretation of it. The troll under the bridge is now a chupcabra, but not an x-files variant thereof. Instead he's the cutest chupcabra that ever was imagined into existence! His cuteness undercuts the story somewhat; those goats (or cabritos) must have thought, "aw, I'm not afraid of you! I want to hug you and kiss you and call you George!". Ha. ( )
  allawishus | Nov 17, 2008 |
HOW CUTE IS THE CUPACABRA??? I can't even be afraid of him, but the story works even so -- a funny Three Billy Goats Gruff variant. ( )
  adge73 | Jun 7, 2007 |

Retells, with a southwestern United States setting, the traditional tale about three billy goat brothers who trick a beast that lives under the bridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,996,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible