I Have a Dream (Book & CD) by Martin Luther…

I Have a Dream (Book & CD) (edition 2012)

by Martin Luther King Jr., Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:shelf-employed
Title:I Have a Dream (Book & CD)
Authors:Martin Luther King Jr.
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2012), Edition: Har/Com, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:E, J, Martin Luther King Jr, African Americans

I Have a Dream by Jr. Martin Luther King

This book delivers the famous "I have a dream" speech by Martin Luther King Jr.. The book is paired with illustrations that go along with the words of the speech. It covers exactly what was said in the speech so that children may listen and look at the illustrations.

I read the book and although I vaguely remember what all was said, I still felt the illustrations did an excellent job at depicting exactly what King was trying to say. It will be much easier for the children to look at the pictures and decipher what is being said rather than throwing them long words and sentences for them to make heads and tails of, so the pictures were definitely one of my favorite aspects of the book. All in all, I thought the pictures also assisted in increasing the power of the already powerful speech. The kids I read this to loved the images.

This book is a very good book to teach the students about the historical March on Washington. In school, we always have to teach the children about this particular moment, so I find that this book allows them to listen to the speech in its entirety while having it accompanied with images to help them decipher and grasp the concept of what is being said. Considering this book also comes with an audio CD, everyone can relax and listen as it is read to them.
  faylana.nap | Jul 19, 2016 |
I loved this book. It was a book of the speech that Martin Luther King Jr. made August 28th, 1963. The main message or idea of this book is to treat everyone equally. Nobody should ever be mistreated by the color of their skin, and it is important for readers to be aware of this. The way that the speech, or writing, was separated onto distinct pages worked great. A couple of my favorite pages were pages 7 and 8. The portion of the speech included and the illustration made a beautiful point. Sectioning off parts of the speech onto separate pages is beneficial to allow readers to have a bit of a break in between portions of the speech- and time for them to process the speech.
The illustrations were beautiful. On pages 19-22 when the pages are split up into four and the locations of the United States where people can be free, are described. Those four pages were so meaningful and I believe, will be very beneficial for readers to be able to understand different perspectives during this period of time. ( )
  hfetty1 | May 2, 2016 |
This book would be ideal for use in a history lesson. With students you can create a timeline of changes made for African-American citizens over the last century. Highlighting important dates will be essential in showing students the importance of acceptance and diversity. ( )
  Isaacwinton | Apr 29, 2016 |
This book is very good because it shows the struggles many African-Americans faced during the Civil Rights Movement and how one man decided to stand up and speak for those who were silent. I think all children should know who Martin Luther King Jr. is and his speech even though it may be difficult to understand, the pictures make it more of a doable read. ( )
  Mwick | Nov 10, 2015 |
This is a beautifully illustrated book of Martin Luther Kings August 28, 1963 speech at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington, DC.

The art work is beautiful! The message, of course, will live on for generations.
  Whisper1 | Jun 16, 2015 |

King, Martin Luther, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, Coretta ScottForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ces mots lancés 28 aout 1963 par Martin Luther King demeurent le cri de ralliement de ceux qui luttent contre tous les racismes .Je fais un rêve figure parmi les classiques de la littérature américaine moderne , et aussi son discours d'acceptation du Prix Nobel de la Paix en 1964.

"HIS LIFE INFORMED US, HIS DREAMS SUSTAIN US"

-from the Citation of the posthumous award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., July 4,1977

Martin Luther King's twenty most memorable writings and s

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

Gathers speeches, sermons, letters, and essays from each period in Dr. King's life, and includes brief notes on their historical background

Legacy Library: Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King, Jr. has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy profile.

See Martin Luther King, Jr.'s author page.

3 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,313,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible