I Have a Dream (Book & CD) by Martin Luther…

I Have a Dream (Book & CD) (edition 2012)

by Martin Luther King Jr., Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:shelf-employed
Title:I Have a Dream (Book & CD)
Authors:Martin Luther King Jr.
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2012), Edition: Har/Com, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:E, J, Martin Luther King Jr, African Americans

I Have a Dream by Jr. Martin Luther King

I chose this book because I did not really read anything this semester that addressed inequality between different racial groups. I enjoyed that this book consisted only of Martin Luther King’s speech. The text was King’s words and no one else’s. I liked that because I think it is important for students to learn about Martin Luther King and his “I Have a Dream” speech. However, his speech can be daunting to some students. By breaking down the speech into a picture book, it is easier for students to understand. I also appreciated that the entire speech was included at the back of the book because it gives students an opportunity to read the entire speech if they are so inclined. The pictures in this book were vibrant and beautiful, making the book even more appropriate for children. Including these pictures makes it easier for the student to understand the text. I enjoyed this book and would love to have it in my classroom library! ( )
  mkstorey | Apr 5, 2017 |
Review: This is a children's picture book that takes us through the famous speech Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave in 1963. This book gives children an idea of what was going on at that time in our nation.

Personal: This is a great book to show children what Martin Luther King Jr goes through and his speech that has impacted everyone since then.

Classroom: Have the children write their own speech.
  courtneynorton | Mar 24, 2017 |
Summary- This is a children's picture book that takes us through the famous speech Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. gave in 1963. This book gives children an idea of what was going on at that time in our nation.

Personal Reaction- I love that this book puts an important piece of history in picture book form for children to understand. This is a crucial lesson that is imperative for them to learn.

Classroom Extension Ideas- 1. Write our own speech 2. Pain a picture of Martin Luther King Jr.
  LaceyL | Mar 20, 2017 |
Summary: The book goes over Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I have a dream Speech.
Genre: Historical Fiction
Review: Easy context to follow and great pictures to go with it.
Class: Amazing speech to go over with kids showing what people fought for back in 1963
Age:Intermidiate
Medium: pencil and Digital.
  little_manb | Mar 14, 2017 |
Summary: This book is composed of the famous speech made by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil rights movement. The "I Have a Dream" speech is an iconic speech for Americans.
Genre: This book would be considered an informational text because it is a direct quote from Martin Luther King Jr. himself, but MLK did not write the speech for the purpose of the book. The illustrator of this book did not add anything to what is said, but added pictures capturing what Dr. King said in 1963 on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. The point of this book is to inform the readers about what it was that MLK said and paint a picture of what it was like back then and what his dream looked like. There is a note in the front that there are two minor changes made for clarity and an omission of one paragraph. While this happens, I believe the makers of the book do this with purpose and this is still a credible source about what happened on that day in 1963.
Medium: Oil paint
Age Appropriateness: Any age
Use in a classroom: This book could be used to talk about the Civil Rights movement and to retell what Martin Luther King Jr. said in his I Have a Dream speech. You could also use a recording of his voice to tell this story, and use the book more for the illustrations to create a picture of what it was like to be there.
  rbrock15 | Mar 13, 2017 |

King, Martin Luther, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dillon, DianeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dillon, LeoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, Coretta ScottForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ces mots lancés 28 aout 1963 par Martin Luther King demeurent le cri de ralliement de ceux qui luttent contre tous les racismes .Je fais un rêve figure parmi les classiques de la littérature américaine moderne , et aussi son discours d'acceptation du Prix Nobel de la Paix en 1964.

"HIS LIFE INFORMED US, HIS DREAMS SUSTAIN US"

-from the Citation of the posthumous award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., July 4,1977

Martin Luther King's twenty most memorable writings and s

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:49 -0400)

Gathers speeches, sermons, letters, and essays from each period in Dr. King's life, and includes brief notes on their historical background

Legacy Library: Martin Luther King, Jr.

Martin Luther King, Jr. has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy profile.

See Martin Luther King, Jr.'s author page.

3 free

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,828,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible