I Have a Dream (Book & CD) by Martin Luther…

I Have a Dream (Book & CD) (edition 2012)

by Martin Luther King Jr., Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:shelf-employed
Title:I Have a Dream (Book & CD)
Authors:Martin Luther King Jr.
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2012), Edition: Har/Com, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:E, J, Martin Luther King Jr, African Americans

I Have A Dream by Jr. Martin Luther King

Summary: This children's book is about Martin Luther King Jr. and his "I have a Dream" speech. It is part of his speech verbatim-split up page by page and matched with painted pictures that truly describe and emphasize what he is saying. The pictures are vivid and realistic. The book also has a CD to listen to that is his actual speech from Washington D.C.

Argument: I think this a great book for a variety of age groups. This speech is a piece of history and therefore can be used in any classroom at any time. There is no age limit to this book. The first, reason I like this book is its vivid pictures and images. These painted images truly explain the words of King's speech and make his speech come to life. For example, on page 3 the speech is talking about all men being equal and that we as a nation have to rise up and aspire to this. The picture on this page shows all the men and women who came to Washington D.C. and who are standing up together fighting for what they believe in. The second, thing I liked about this book was the read-along CD. The difference between this CD and any other read along was that this was the actual recording from a place in history. I listened to the CD as I read and really felt like I was standing in the National Mall. It is a great experience to read something but hearing this speech puts you back in time. It also helps with children who are auditory learners. The last thing I liked about this book was that in the back the whole speech was listed. I liked having the entire speech to reference and not just part of it. This gives older children more to read and the full effect.
I think the theme of this book was to spread equality and justice to every human being. It was also about fighting for equal rights of all Americans-especially African Americans. ( )
  stomas5 | Sep 28, 2014 |
This is one of my absolute favorite books. The focus of this book is to illustrate the famous "I Have A Dream Speech." What's special about the illustrations is there are 15 separate illustrators who each depicted a page of the speech. Each of the illustrators are recipients of the Coretta Scott King award. All the illustrations were beautiful, but my most favorite were the two illustrations that showed children of all colors and religions playing with one another. I also enjoyed this book because it gave a lot of background about what was going on at the time. The foreword is by Coretta Scott King herself and then the back has information about the artists. This added to the power of the book. The message of this book is to continue the dream that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. had on that day, August 28, 1963. ( )
  mingra2 | May 6, 2014 |
This is a book that is the full text of Martin Luther King's speech. It is illustrated by Kadir Nelson. The main theme of the book is the hope for a peaceful interaction between anyone and everyone. Paired with colorful illustrations, the book is an enjoyable read.

I really enjoy this book. I feel like it does the original speech justice, and makes it more approachable for all readers. I think the speech is a powerful read with strong language. For example, I think it is important that various parts of the country are included in the speech.

I really enjoyed the illustrations. For example, they are all brightly colored. I find the bright colors to maintain the uplifting nature of the speech. I also find them detailed. They include idiosyncrasies of people's faces. It is an important historical read. ( )
  larasimmons2 | Nov 12, 2013 |
Kadir Nelson is the only choice for illustrating this. ( )
  alyson | Aug 29, 2013 |
To me, this speech is timeless. There will never be a time when we Americans are living the full realization of our U.S. Constitution, so every generation should be aware of the advice that MLK gives in this speech. ( )
  jennabear913 | Apr 24, 2013 |

King, Martin Luther, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Coretta ScottForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ces mots lancés 28 aout 1963 par Martin Luther King demeurent le cri de ralliement de ceux qui luttent contre tous les racismes .Je fais un rêve figure parmi les classiques de la littérature américaine moderne , et aussi son discours d'acceptation du Prix Nobel de la Paix en 1964.

"HIS LIFE INFORMED US, HIS DREAMS SUSTAIN US"

-from the Citation of the posthumous award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., July 4,1977

Martin Luther King's twenty most memorable writings and s

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:54 -0400)

Gathers speeches, sermons, letters, and essays from each period in Dr. King's life, and includes brief notes on their historical background

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible