I Have a Dream (Book & CD) by Martin Luther…

I Have a Dream (Book & CD) (edition 2012)

by Martin Luther King Jr., Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)

Member:shelf-employed
Title:I Have a Dream (Book & CD)
Authors:Martin Luther King Jr.
Other authors:Kadir Nelson (Illustrator)
Info:Schwartz & Wade (2012), Edition: Har/Com, Hardcover, 40 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:E, J, Martin Luther King Jr, African Americans

I Have a Dream by Jr. Martin Luther King

Recently added byWhisper1, CVL, seite, DushanbeAC, private library, CheyenneQ, sabinaprijic, robynestes, EricaRuf

I enjoyed this book for a few reasons. The information provided is important for children to learn, but it is delivered in a child-friendly way. The illustrations help the story flow. The big idea is to help children learn about Martin Luther King, Jr.'s vision for America. ( )
  mzellh1 | Mar 24, 2015 |
I didn't really read this Kindle book but read the text online after watching the speech on YouTube.

Martin Luther King Jr. is one of my heroes, and it seemed appropriate to listen & read his words today in honor of his memory on MLK day. Sadly, so much is still apposite 50+ years later. This passage in particular struck me:

"We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality."

In the intervening years, this aspect of racism doesn't seem to have improved very much as the events of the past 6 months have shown. I just hope that people recall this earlier section from the speech:

"But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force." ( )
  leslie.98 | Jan 19, 2015 |
Review: I loved reading this story. It was full of information and inspirational words. There are paintings that are in the story which adds a nice touch to make it enjoyable to look at while you read.

Summary: This story is about the speech that Martin Luther King Jr. made on August 28, 1963. It is known as one of the most powerful and memorable speeches in history. This book was written by his daughter Bernice A. King.

Argument: I really liked reading this historical book about the speech that Martin Luther King Jr. made. I have heard the speech before but never knew the background knowledge or what happened on that day. I think that children of all ages would like to read this book because it is full of information.
This story teaches the reader about equality, freedom, and peace. ( )
  knold1 | Dec 9, 2014 |
Summary:
This children's book is about Martin Luther King's speech "I Had A Dream" at the Lincoln Memorial during the March on Washington. This was an extremely important event in history and one of the most memorable speeches.

Review:
Martin Luther King was such an important person in history. He not only changed the rights of blacks but he even risked his own life in the process. All children need to know about Martin Luther Kings speech. This book shows children to always go after their dreams no matter how farfetched they may seem. ( )
  mnorth2 | Dec 9, 2014 |
I liked this book. This book provided a lot of information on the civil rights movement in which Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. advocated strongly for. This book is written in the form of his "I Have A Dream" speech along with other factual information. The illustrations in this book are very powerful, you can see the passion in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s face. The illustrations also enhance the dream that MLK Jr. had for America. I think that the main idea of this book was to provide information on the civil rights movement and the "I Have A Dream" speech. ( )
  carolinetownsend | Nov 16, 2014 |

King, Martin Luther, Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, Coretta ScottForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Ces mots lancés 28 aout 1963 par Martin Luther King demeurent le cri de ralliement de ceux qui luttent contre tous les racismes .Je fais un rêve figure parmi les classiques de la littérature américaine moderne , et aussi son discours d'acceptation du Prix Nobel de la Paix en 1964.

"HIS LIFE INFORMED US, HIS DREAMS SUSTAIN US"

-from the Citation of the posthumous award of the Presidential Medal of Freedom to the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., July 4,1977

Martin Luther King's twenty most memorable writings and s

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:54 -0400)

Gathers speeches, sermons, letters, and essays from each period in Dr. King's life, and includes brief notes on their historical background

3 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,303,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible