If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura…

If You Give a Moose a Muffin (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Laura Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Member:abarnes012892
Title:If You Give a Moose a Muffin
Authors:Laura Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, K-3

If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1991)

Knots by R. D. Laing (raizel)
    raizel: Similar logical difficulties and vicious circles at a different level of sophistication. If you give a moose a muffin, he needs lots of stuff including a muffin which requires the same lots of stuff ad nauseum. In Knots, your behavior is based on your world view and you world view is based on your behavior and changing either one is difficult.… (more)

And, so, we bring a moose into the family! Another must-have book for your library, even if you do not have young children! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book for several reasons. I liked the nature of the writing, in that it was a “snake biting its tail” type of story- the story ended just how it began and involves repetition. The picture book begins with the riddle, “If you give a moose a muffin, he’ll want some jam to go with it.” By the last page of the story, it likewise says, “And chances are… if you give him the jam, he’ll want a muffin to go with it.” I also liked the overall plot, which ties into the main idea of the story- it teaches the reader the cause and effect of an action(s). For example, after giving a moose a muffin, “he’ll want another. And another. And another. When they’re all gone, he’ll ask you to make him some more.” Because the author personified the moose, it makes the plot of this story humorous, by the moose asking for more and more muffins, which doesn't exactly happen too often the last time I checked. ( )
  akoches | Feb 23, 2015 |
I am a huge fan of these books, but this one is probably one of my least favorites. I love the overall premise of the book, showing cause and effect of ones actions! The entire book is about what might happen if you were to give a moose a muffin and it comes back around to the beginning again at the end of the story. I think that is a very fun and creative way to keep the attention of readers while also allowing them to laugh throughout the book with silly things going on with the moose and the little boy. After all, who wouldn't love to see a moose painting or creating sock puppets to perform a show?
Although I enjoy the overall story, I felt that the pictures should have had less things going on at once. It was often distracting to look at the moose, the child, the actions of both, and the cause and effect of what was going on all at once. ( )
  lriver5 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I liked this book for a few reasons. First, I liked the use of repetition. I liked how the beginning event is the same as the end event. For example, the story starts off with “If you give a moose a muffin, he’ll want some jam to go with it.” and the end of the story says, “And chances are… if you give him the jam, he’ll want a muffin to go with it.” This reminds the reader what the main idea of the book is and what event led to the middle events of the story. Another reason I enjoyed this book was because the author has the moose and the boy doing human activities, even though the story is not realistic. For example, they make sock puppets, clean, eat, paint, and participate in other daily activities. These are activities that young children have heard of or have experienced before. Each event in the story is also written in simple steps. For example, “So he’ll ask for some socks. He’ll make sock puppets. When they’re done, he’ll want to put on a puppet show.” This teaches the reader that there are different actions that are needed to a reach a goal. Each step is important when you are doing a project or doing a daily activity. The big idea of the story is to being kind to strangers can lead to unexpected friendships. ( )
  ktran4 | Feb 9, 2015 |
I would use this story to teach my students cause in effect while reading. They would be engaged in the story because it is about giving a moose a muffin which is not something you see everyday. ( )
  hollyegirard | Nov 29, 2014 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chu, Brian Wei-Rensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice and Emily, the two best sisters anyone could ever possibly want! L.J.N.
For Antoine, Nahem, Jennifer, Santos, Brian and Crystal. F.B.
If you give a moose a muffin...
When he opens the door and feels how chilly it is, he'll ask to borrow a sweater.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060244054, Hardcover)

"If you give a moose a muffin, he'll want some jam to go with it." So begins the most logical silliness to be found anywhere--at least since Laura Joffe Numeroff and illustrator Felicia Bond's If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Readers will follow a young boy and his voracious visitor through a series of antlered antics: jam reveries and puppet shows and big messes. It all makes perfect sense, really, once you stop to think about it. What moose wouldn't want to borrow a sweater when it's cold outside? And why shouldn't the loose button on the sweater remind him of his grandmother? Bond's cleverly detailed, witty illustrations perfectly complement Numeroff's deadpan style. Through just a few deft words and brush strokes, the reader gets a real sense of the unique personalities of the two characters. Children will relate easily to the full-circle reasoning of the story, while picking up the concept of cause and effect. The moral of the story? Keep plenty of muffin mix and blackberry jam in your cupboard. You never know who may drop by. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:42 -0400)

Chaos can ensue if you give a moose a muffin and start him on a cycle of urgent requests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,755,030 books! | Top bar: Always visible