If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura…

If You Give a Moose a Muffin (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Laura Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Member:abarnes012892
Title:If You Give a Moose a Muffin
Authors:Laura Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, K-3

If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1991)

Knots by R. D. Laing (raizel)
    raizel: Similar logical difficulties and vicious circles at a different level of sophistication. If you give a moose a muffin, he needs lots of stuff including a muffin which requires the same lots of stuff ad nauseum. In Knots, your behavior is based on your world view and you world view is based on your behavior and changing either one is difficult.… (more)

I really enjoyed the book “If You Give a Moose a Muffin,” for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I liked how entertaining it was. The antics of the moose had me laughing out loud, and I am an adult. I am sure children would have the same reaction. I also liked how the pictures represented what the text was saying perfectly. For example, one of the pictures is the moose from behind making sock puppets. It is hilarious to see this giant animal leaning over with scraps of fabric all around him, but what makes it better is the moose showing off his puppets on the next page. His facial expression is ecstatic and the smile is infectious. I also really liked that the book ended the way it started. The author lets us know that “if you give a moose a muffin, he’ll want some jam to go with it,” as well as “if you give him the jam, he’ll want a muffin to go with it.” I thought this was really creative, and except for the series, I have not seen a lot of books come full circle in such a complete way. Finally, I really like that this book teaches children cause and effect without them even being aware they are learning such a complex concept for their developmental level. The book follows the pattern of “if, then, what.” If something happens, another thing will happen, and so on. This piece of literature would be a great tool to teach young children the concept of cause and effect in a fun and engaging way. The purpose of this book is to entertain children and teach them about cause and effect. ( )
  cduke3 | Oct 16, 2014 |
This book was adorable and I liked it for a couple of reasons. My favorite part of the book was the style it is written in. Each sentence is simple and builds off of the previous one to keep the flow of the story. For example, “When he’s finished eating the muffin, he’ll want another. And another. And another” This style continues throughout the whole book. Also I liked how the story was full circle. The book began and ended very similarly. “If you give a moose a muffin, he’ll want some jam to go with it.” And “And chances are if you give him the jam, he’ll want a muffin to go with it.” These are the beginning and ending sentences in the book. Finally I loved the pictures in the book. They are colorful and match the text well. I think the pictures aid the reader in seeing the craziness that is ensuing with the never-ending antics of the boy and the moose. My favorite picture was the last one. The boy has a box with a representation of many of the requests of the moose. The socks from sock puppet making, the sweatshirt for going to get more muffin mix and newspaper with spilled paint on it are a few of the items shown in the box. The big idea/message for this book is to see how one thing can lead to another and another and another. This cycle may never end but that doesn’t mean it won’t be fun. ( )
  EmilyBeer | Sep 30, 2014 |
I like how this book captured children's attention with the writing and illustrations on the same pages. I would totally use this book for a fall/winter lesson plan or use for a moose unit. ( )
  lannersvalerie | Sep 25, 2014 |
I liked the book, “If You Give a Moose a Muffin” mainly because it is a silly story you can read to young children to give them a good laugh. I read this book to a first grader I nanny and she could not stop laughing! The plot in this story is comical to children and all over the place—in a funny way. Specifically, the moose starts out wanting a muffin and some jam to go with it. Somehow, along the way, the moose ends up wanting to make sock puppets and continuing to want to be a ghost for Halloween. The plot is predictable in that the moose keeps asking for more, but keeps children on the edge about what he wants next. The writing of this story, too, is engaging, making it easy to follow along. The writing flows from one need to the next, creating a way for children to predict what the moose wants next. I don’t think there is a big message here, just a fun, silly book for children to enjoy reading. ( )
  Ebutzn1 | Sep 11, 2014 |
Summary: This is a comical book about a hungry moose, who visits a boy at his house that offers to give the moose a muffin. The boy’s mother makes homemade jam, so the hungry moose asks for some jam to go with the muffin. Although, the moose ends up eating all the muffins, so they boy and the moose go to the store to get more muffin mix. The boy is in a rut, because the moose constantly asks for things, such as a sweater because “when he opens the door” at the grocery store, he “feels how chilly it is.” The story ends with the line “seeing the blackberries will remind him of jam, he’ll probably ask for some, and chances are..if you give him some jam, he’ll want a muffin to go with it.”

This is one of the first funny picture books I have analyzed for the LibraryThing, and I really enjoyed reading the easy-to-follow large text. I like the part when the hungry moose and the young boy go to the grocery store for muffin mix, and the needy moose asks for a sweater because he is cold. I think this is funny, because why would he be so cold since he is covered in fur, and should be used to colder weather? The illustration that went along with this was very detailed, where the illustrator has the moose struggling trying to put a sweater over his head. I believe the funny aspects of this book would keep the kids engaged. The central message of this book is that animals, especially moose, are always hungry for more muffins. ( )
  mkaray1 | Sep 6, 2014 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chu, Brian Wei-Rensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice and Emily, the two best sisters anyone could ever possibly want! L.J.N.
For Antoine, Nahem, Jennifer, Santos, Brian and Crystal. F.B.
If you give a moose a muffin...
When he opens the door and feels how chilly it is, he'll ask to borrow a sweater.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060244054, Hardcover)

"If you give a moose a muffin, he'll want some jam to go with it." So begins the most logical silliness to be found anywhere--at least since Laura Joffe Numeroff and illustrator Felicia Bond's If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Readers will follow a young boy and his voracious visitor through a series of antlered antics: jam reveries and puppet shows and big messes. It all makes perfect sense, really, once you stop to think about it. What moose wouldn't want to borrow a sweater when it's cold outside? And why shouldn't the loose button on the sweater remind him of his grandmother? Bond's cleverly detailed, witty illustrations perfectly complement Numeroff's deadpan style. Through just a few deft words and brush strokes, the reader gets a real sense of the unique personalities of the two characters. Children will relate easily to the full-circle reasoning of the story, while picking up the concept of cause and effect. The moral of the story? Keep plenty of muffin mix and blackberry jam in your cupboard. You never know who may drop by. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:42 -0400)

Chaos can ensue if you give a moose a muffin and start him on a cycle of urgent requests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,333,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible