If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura…

If You Give a Moose a Muffin (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Laura Numeroff, Felicia Bond (Illustrator)

Member:abarnes012892
Title:If You Give a Moose a Muffin
Authors:Laura Numeroff
Other authors:Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1991), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, K-3

If You Give a Moose a Muffin by Laura Joffe Numeroff (1991)

Knots by R. D. Laing (raizel)
    raizel: Similar logical difficulties and vicious circles at a different level of sophistication. If you give a moose a muffin, he needs lots of stuff including a muffin which requires the same lots of stuff ad nauseum. In Knots, your behavior is based on your world view and you world view is based on your behavior and changing either one is difficult.… (more)

If you give a moose a muffin, he will surely want other things as well. This book is a sequel to "If you give a mouse a cookie" book. I loved this book. Its a cute book that will keep the young readers engaged and what to know what will happen next. Even though it is full of repetitious phrases, it still keeps you guessing what he make want next. Absolutely a must have in my future library. ( )
  amartino1208 | May 1, 2015 |
I liked this book because of what it teaches young readers. I feel like it really focuses on repetition and cause and effect. Throughout the story, the book repeats the phrase "if you give a moose a muffin" and then it say what will happen if you do give a moose a muffin. There were many comical things that the book mentions that I think young readers will enjoy. I think this book is good for beginning reading because the words are simple and repeat themselves a lot. The things I don't like about the book is that there is no informational aspect of it. The book doesn't teach you anything about mooses or such. There is also no moral of the story that children can learn from this. There is also no comprehension really involved. However, it is a fun book to read and young children will be able to learn basic words and phrases because of it. ( )
  evandy1 | Mar 12, 2015 |
I used to love this book as a child and still own my copy. I would read it over and over again as if something was going to change in the story. One thing I loved about the book was the language. It was repetitive in saying " if you give a moose (enter noun), he will want a (enter another noun) to go with it. It built on the previous statement the entire book and I loved it. The other thing I really liked was the story line. I have always liked moose. And when I was a kid, I liked that the moose went into the house, ate muffins, drank milk,and put clothes on. I wanted a moose of my own!
The third thing I really liked was the main point. As a child, I was always taught to make my guests feel comfortable. This book really drove that point home. No matter what the moose suggested he wanted, the little boy got it for him. ( )
  tbarne9 | Mar 5, 2015 |
And, so, we bring a moose into the family! Another must-have book for your library, even if you do not have young children! ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this book for several reasons. I liked the nature of the writing, in that it was a “snake biting its tail” type of story- the story ended just how it began and involves repetition. The picture book begins with the riddle, “If you give a moose a muffin, he’ll want some jam to go with it.” By the last page of the story, it likewise says, “And chances are… if you give him the jam, he’ll want a muffin to go with it.” I also liked the overall plot, which ties into the main idea of the story- it teaches the reader the cause and effect of an action(s). For example, after giving a moose a muffin, “he’ll want another. And another. And another. When they’re all gone, he’ll ask you to make him some more.” Because the author personified the moose, it makes the plot of this story humorous, by the moose asking for more and more muffins, which doesn't exactly happen too often the last time I checked. ( )
  akoches | Feb 23, 2015 |

Laura Joffe Numeroffprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bond, FeliciaIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Chu, Brian Wei-Rensecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, StephenIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mlawer, TeresaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Alice and Emily, the two best sisters anyone could ever possibly want! L.J.N.
For Antoine, Nahem, Jennifer, Santos, Brian and Crystal. F.B.
If you give a moose a muffin...
When he opens the door and feels how chilly it is, he'll ask to borrow a sweater.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060244054, Hardcover)

"If you give a moose a muffin, he'll want some jam to go with it." So begins the most logical silliness to be found anywhere--at least since Laura Joffe Numeroff and illustrator Felicia Bond's If You Give a Mouse a Cookie. Readers will follow a young boy and his voracious visitor through a series of antlered antics: jam reveries and puppet shows and big messes. It all makes perfect sense, really, once you stop to think about it. What moose wouldn't want to borrow a sweater when it's cold outside? And why shouldn't the loose button on the sweater remind him of his grandmother? Bond's cleverly detailed, witty illustrations perfectly complement Numeroff's deadpan style. Through just a few deft words and brush strokes, the reader gets a real sense of the unique personalities of the two characters. Children will relate easily to the full-circle reasoning of the story, while picking up the concept of cause and effect. The moral of the story? Keep plenty of muffin mix and blackberry jam in your cupboard. You never know who may drop by. (Great read aloud, ages 4 to 8) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:31 -0400)

Chaos can ensue if you give a moose a muffin and start him on a cycle of urgent requests.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,888,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible