Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway

In Our Time (1925)

by Ernest Hemingway

Series: The Inquest (6)

This is a powerful work - an unconventional grouping of stories that marked Hemingway's first major success as a writer. I believe these are the stories he is writing in A Moveable Feast and this time in his life when he is writing these is well covered in Paula McLain's The Paris Wife. In some ways the success that started here doomed his marriage to Hadley Richardson. One can also see many elements of Hemingway's life so far within these stories and the creation of the post WWI 'Lost Generation'. Stuff like this is why Hemingway is one of my favorite writers.

I thought that (roughly) the first half of the book was the strongest with some hard hitting sketches and stories. Towards the middle I felt there was a small slump, a fumble lets call it as well as a story or two where Hemingway lays on that Hemingway style just a little too thick, which on reflection keeps me from rating this higher than 4 stars. The Nick Adams stories in here were my favorites overall, but I like how Hemingway broke things up in a very interesting manner.

A few of these stories might bother a sensitive reader for the language, topics and sensibilities of the times (1920's).

This was a reread for me - first read sometime in the early to mid 90's. ( )
  RBeffa | Dec 24, 2017 |
Hemingway at his most experimental. A fantastic book, written before he was "Hemingway." ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |
I love this book. Will you? It really might come down to how you respond to Hemingway. But even if you are not a fan of his writing, this book might be of value to you.

It is a snapshot of the World War One generation. It is a collection of short stories or vignettes, or it could also be seen as a novel telling a story of that generation. I think that is the thing about this book that makes it stand out. Even if his works have become dated, even if they are less relevant to us today, this one in particular is a glimpse into that generation through Hemingway's eyes. ( )
1 vote LeftyRickBass | Sep 19, 2017 |
In Our Time by Ernest Hemingway
Different stories of war times, helping the woman birth the children with the Indians,
Stories of bull fights, fishing, skiing in the snow, jockeys and horse racing,
  jbarr5 | Mar 29, 2016 |
Not a bad collection of short stories, but not a great one either. Hemingway is hit or miss for me. Some of his short stories just read as pointless to me while others read as very poignant. ( )
  BenKline | Jan 1, 2016 |

Jonsson, ThorstenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Keach, StacyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Li, CherlynneCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lytle, John A.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A Girl in Chicago: Tell us about the French women, Hank. What are they like?

Bill Smith: How old are the French women, Hank?
To Hadley Richardson Hemingway
to robert mcalmon and william bird publishers of the city of paris and to captain edward dorman-smith m.c., of his majesty’s fifth fusiliers this book is respectfully dedicated.
The strange thing was, he said, how they screamed every night at midnight.
Everybody was drunk.
This edition of "in our time" (lower case) is for copies of the 1924 original edition of 170 copies or the 1977 facsimile edition of 1,700 copies or other facsimiles containing only the original 18 vignettes on 32 pages. This edition should not be combined with the later 1925 or 1930 editions where the 18 vignettes became the 16 inter-chapters to the longer short stories of "In Our Time" (upper case) and vignette Chapter 10 became "A Very Short Story" and vignette Chapter 11 became "The Revolutionist".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0684822768, Paperback)

No writer has been more efficiently overshadowed by his imitators than Ernest Hemingway. From the moment he unleashed his stripped-down, declarative sentences on the world, he began breeding entire generations of miniature Hemingways, who latched on to his subtractive style without ever wondering what he'd removed, or why. And his tendency to lapse into self-parody during the latter half of his career didn't help matters. But In Our Time, which Hemingway published in 1925, reminds us of just how fresh and accomplished his writing could be--and gives at least an inkling of why Ezra Pound could call him the finest prose stylist in the world.

In his first commercially published book (following the small-press appearance of Three Stories and Ten Poems in 1924), Hemingway was still wearing his influences on his sleeve. The vignettes between each story smack of Gertrude Stein, whose minimalist punctuation and clodhopping rhythms he was happy to borrow. "My Old Man" sounds like Huck Finn on the Grand Tour: "Well, we went to live at Maisons-Lafitte, where just about everybody lives except the gang at Chantilly, with a Mrs. Meyers that runs a boarding house. Maisons is about the swellest place to live I've ever seen in all my life." But in the "The Battler" or "Indian Camp" or "Big Two-Hearted River," Hemingway finds his own voice, shunning the least hint of rhetorical inflation and sticking to just the facts, ma'am. His reluctance to traffic in high-flown abstraction has often been chalked up to postwar disillusion--as though he were too much of a simpleton to make deliberate stylistic decisions. Still, nobody can read "Soldier's Home" without drawing a certain connection between the two. Returning home to Oklahoma, the hero finds that his tales of combat are now a bankrupt genre:

Even his lies were not sensational at the pool room. His acquaintances, who had heard detailed accounts of German women found chained to machine guns in the Argonne forest and who could not comprehend, or were barred by their patriotism from interest in, any German machine gunners who were not chained, were not thrilled by his stories.
If we are to believe Michael Reynolds and Ann Douglas, this passage reflects the author's own dreary homecoming as a member of the lost generation. It's also a fine example of a surprisingly rare phenomenon, at least at this point in his career: Hemingway being funny. --James Marcus

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

When In Our Time was published in 1925, it was praised by Ford Madox Ford, John Dos Passos, and F. Scott Fitzgerald for its simple and precise use of language to convey a wide range of complex emotions, and it earned Hemingway a place beside Sherwood Anderson and Gertrude Stein among the most promising American writers of that period. In Our Time contains several early Hemingway classics, including the famous Nick Adams stories "Indian Camp," "The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife," "The Three Day Blow," and "The Battler," and introduces readers to the hallmarks of the Hemingway style: a lean, tough prose--enlivened by an ear for the colloquial and an eye for the realistic that suggests, through the simplest of statements, a sense of moral value and a clarity of heart. Now recognized as one of the most original short story collections in twentieth-century literature, In Our Time provides a key to Hemingway's later works.… (more)

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,493,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible