Linguistics : a very short introduction by…

Linguistics : a very short introduction (edition 2003)

by P. H. Matthews

Title:Linguistics : a very short introduction
Authors:P. H. Matthews
Info:Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2003.
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Linguistics, Incoming

Linguistics: A Very Short Introduction by P. H. Matthews

Not bad, but not great either. Matthews doesn't really give you a clear sense of what linguistics is, in my opinion, but he does cover a number of interesting areas. It's worth a read, if you're looking for a quick summary of a handful of interesting ideas, but if you want depth OR breadth, go elsewhere. ( )
  tlockney | Sep 7, 2014 |
If I had my life and education to do over, I think I'd become a linguist. This small volume does a fantastic job of introducing the reader to the basics of linguistic study, providing a background in linguistic theories, language families, how not all languages follow universal rules, and introducing some of the most critical figures to the study of the field. ( )
  quantumbutterfly | Dec 8, 2012 |
A very readable introduction to Linguistics, though the phonetics escape me. Whetted my appetite to learn more about language and how it has grown from its original roots.
  kaulsu | Mar 6, 2007 |
What is linguistics?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192801481, Paperback)

Linguistics falls in the gap between arts and science, on the edges of which the most fascinating discoveries and the most important problems are found. Beginning at the 'arts' end of the subject with the common origins of languages, and finishing at the 'science' end with the newest discoveries regarding language in the brain, this stimulating guide covers all the major aspects of linguistics from a refreshing and insightful angle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,886,686 books! | Top bar: Always visible