The Curious Incident of the Dog in the…

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Mark Haddon

Despite his overwhelming fear of interacting with people, Christopher, a mathematically-gifted, autistic fifteen-year-old boy, decides to investigate the murder of a neighbor's dog and uncovers secret information about his mother.
Member:rossdotparker
Title:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Authors:Mark Haddon
Info:Vintage (2004), Edition: Illustrated., Paperback, 226 pages

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2003)

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (Cecrow, unlucky)
    Cecrow: A similar narrator, who undergoes a startling transformation.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Miss-Owl)
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (tortoise, MyriadBooks, Lucy_Skywalker)
    tortoise: Both are well-written novels with a first-person autistic-spectrum narrator. The Curious Incident has a better-constructed plot (the villain in The Speed of Dark is a bit cartoonish), but The Speed of Dark is I think more interesting as a commentary on autism.… (more)
    MyriadBooks: Undeservedly overshadowed by the concurrent publication of The Curious Incident, I found The Speed of Dark superior in every respect.
    Lucy_Skywalker: Speed of Dark is indeed superior in every respect: plot, characters, writing style, and the author has a better understanding of autistic people being the mother of one of them.
    Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A Memoir by Daniel Tammet (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The autobiography of an autistic man, offering insight into his thought processes and the difficulties that he faced
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (jeanned, Vulco1)
    Vulco1: A mystery story following a non-neuotypical person trying to solve a crime they are personally invested in while trying to navigate tricky interpersonal relationships.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (kaelirenee)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco Stork (jbarry)
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (santli)
    santli: A young female protagonist who also stumbles across a strange murder and uses her prodigious knowledge of science to sleuth the answer.
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (bookwren)
    bookwren: Wonder is about a boy with a physical deformity who must interact with people who don't always understand him.
    The Selected Works of T. S. Spivet by Reif Larsen (jensm, EMS_24)
    EMS_24: vanwege manier van vertellen en uitleg via tekeningetjes, plus geheim uitstapje met de trein. (way of telling the story, the images and secret trip by train)
    Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern (Booksloth)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)
    Lottery by Patricia Wood (suzanney, chndlrs)
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (aliklein)
    The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano (Johanna11)
    The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The protagonists in both books imagine themselves as detectives. Both characters are accurate observers, but because they think differently than most people, they don't perceive the implications or consequences of their discoveries.
    The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig (Booksloth)
    Carry Me Down by M. J. Hyland (starfishian)
    Come, Thou Tortoise by Jessica Grant (LDVoorberg)
    LDVoorberg: The narrator in Come, Thou Tortoise does not have Aspergers, but her comments have a similar quirkiness and innocent wit as the comments by the narrator in Curious Incident.

Read (59)

English (1,185)  Spanish (21)  Dutch (18)  French (5)  Catalan (5)  German (4)  Italian (4)  Norwegian (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Korean (1)  Romanian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (1,250)
I enjoyed this story so much. It's told from a teen boy's point of view. He has autism. I've never thought about things in such a way. It's worth reading for the unique perspective, but the storyline is very interesting also. He investigates everything. He's intelligent and no nonsense. It shows how it can be hard on a person with autism and hard on their family. Of course I loved the boy and cheered him on through his journey. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Feb 17, 2021 |
I usually don't read books where I know something bad is going to happen to an animal, but I made an exception for this one, and was glad I did. From the very start I LOVED this book! So smart, yet so simple, there was something very elegant about it. I liked the main character, liked the premise, it was super fun, and then - And then.

The mystery is solved about 100 pages in, and then it ceased to be the book I loved and turned into something else. Not bad, but not what I wanted. You can't give me a taste of the good stuff, and then try and give me your leftover Halloween candy you bought from the Dollar Store three years ago. I'm not saying I won't eat it (don't judge), I just won't like it as much after tasting the good stuff.

I'm being a bit harsh, but only because the beginning was SO good, and then it morphed from mystery into life, with all its melted, mushy feelings and touching growth. 4.5 stars. ( )
1 vote ShannonHollinger | Feb 15, 2021 |
Read this book if you are open to know really different people, with really unique personalities. I just loved Christopher and I found very curious his way of thinking. However, I didn't like the end of the book. ( )
  anvicordova | Feb 11, 2021 |
The Rain Man in the Rye. ( )
  superpeer | Feb 1, 2021 |
Absolutely recommend it! I had actually come across the play first, which is amazing to see, and so am now reading the book. It is essentially a story of a boy with autism from his perspective as he journeys to solve a mystery and faces challenges in his life. I love the way it is written, and as someone who has been diagnosed with autism as well, I found that the writing expresses and conveys many thoughts that I have struggled to communicate to others growing up. It really helps with understanding of multiple perspectives and empathy while following an engaging storyline. I also appreciate the fact that it exists as a play as well. Reading the book is great, but having seen the play, the visual effects, spoken dialogue, etc. it really adds a whole new element to the perception of the plot and characters.-Review by A. Pritchard
  BethanieODell | Jan 27, 2021 |
Mark Haddon specialises in innovative storylines in his work as an author, screenwriter and illustrator allied to his remarkable ability to demonstrate what it is to be autistic without sentimentality or exaggeration allied to a creative use of puzzles, facts and photographs in the text mark him out as a real talent drawing on a range of abilities.

As Christopher investigates Wellington's death, he makes some remarkably brave decisions and when he eventually faces his fears and moves beyond his immediate neighborhood, the magnitude of his challenge and the joy in his achievement are overwhelming. Haddon creates a fascinating main character and allows the reader to share in his world, experiencing his ups and downs and his trials and successes. In providing a vivid world in which the reader participates vicariously, Haddon fulfills the most important requirements of fiction, entertaining at the same time that he broadens the reader's perspective and allows him to gain knowledge. This fascinating book should attract legions of enthusiastic readers.

The imaginative leap of writing a novel -- the genre that began as an exercise in sentiment -- without overt emotion is a daring one, and Haddon pulls it off beautifully. Christopher's story is full of paradoxes: naive yet knowing, detached but poignant, often wryly funny despite his absolute humorlessness.

Haddon's book illuminates the way one mind works so precisely, so humanely, that it reads like both an acutely observed case study and an artful exploration of a different ''mystery'': the thoughts and feelings we share even with those very different from us.

Mark Haddon's stark, funny and original first novel, ''The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time,'' is presented as a detective story. But it eschews most of the furnishings of high-literary enterprise as well as the conventions of genre, disorienting and reorienting the reader to devastating effect.

Mark Haddonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marrs, TimHand Letteringsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallemans, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tibber, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Sos
With thanks to Kathryn Heyman, Clare Alexander, Kate Shaw and Dave Cohen
It was 7 minutes after midnight.
Wellington was a poodle. Not one of the small poodles that have hair styles but a big poodle.
I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.
All the other children at my school are stupid. Except I'm not meant to call them stupid, even though this is what they are.
Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.
I think people believe in heaven because they don’t like the idea of dying, because they want to carry on living and they don’t like the idea that other people will move into their house and put their things into the rubbish.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,524,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible