The Curious Incident of the Dog in the…

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Modern Plays) (original 2003; edition 2012)

by Mark Haddon, Simon Stephens (Adapter)

Title:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (Modern Plays)
Authors:Mark Haddon
Other authors:Simon Stephens (Adapter)
Info:Methuen Drama (2012), Edition: 1, Paperback, 112 pages

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2003)

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (Cecrow, unlucky)
    Cecrow: A similar narrator, who undergoes a startling transformation.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Miss-Owl)
    Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A Memoir by Daniel Tammet (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The autobiography of an autistic man, offering insight into his thought processes and the difficulties that he faced
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (tortoise, MyriadBooks, Lucy_Skywalker)
    tortoise: Both are well-written novels with a first-person autistic-spectrum narrator. The Curious Incident has a better-constructed plot (the villain in The Speed of Dark is a bit cartoonish), but The Speed of Dark is I think more interesting as a commentary on autism.… (more)
    MyriadBooks: Undeservedly overshadowed by the concurrent publication of The Curious Incident, I found The Speed of Dark superior in every respect.
    Lucy_Skywalker: Speed of Dark is indeed superior in every respect: plot, characters, writing style, and the author has a better understanding of autistic people being the mother of one of them.
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (jeanned)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (kaelirenee)
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (jbarry)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (bookwren)
    bookwren: Wonder is about a boy with a physical deformity who must interact with people who don't always understand him.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (santli)
    santli: A young female protagonist who also stumbles across a strange murder and uses her prodigious knowledge of science to sleuth the answer.
    The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The protagonists in both books imagine themselves as detectives. Both characters are accurate observers, but because they think differently than most people, they don't perceive the implications or consequences of their discoveries.
    Room by Emma Donoghue (bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    When I Was Five I Killed Myself by Howard Buten (sanddancer)
    Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern (Booksloth)
    Lottery by Patricia Wood (suzanney, chndlrs)
    The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig (Booksloth)
    The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion (aliklein)
    The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano (Johanna11)
    The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence (DemetriosX)
    DemetriosX: Very similar narrative voices. Alex understands human emotion and interaction better than Christopher and is therefore a bit more naive, but both are a kind of modern Holy Fool exploring a world that doesn't always make much sense to them.

Read (58)

English (1,009)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (14)  French (5)  Italian (4)  German (4)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (2)  Romanian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (1,065)
Brilliant, nearly flawless (some predictability, but few books avoid that). Protagonist is well drawn and particularly interesting to me since I share some of his traits. ( )
  Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
A book I've been wanting to read for a long time. Working with adults with disabilities, I love the chance to get inside their heads and see how they function best. This book has a nice little mystery and some drama, and it was very well done. I loved that we got to see how Christopher works best when relating to math and patterns; he's very systematic. A great book I'd recommend and read again. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time chronicles the adventures of fifteen-year old, Christopher Boone, who self-identified as "a mathematician with some behavioural difficulties". Mark Haddon, the author, has noted, "If he [Christopher] were diagnosed, he would be diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome, which is a form of autism."

Christopher is suspected of malfeasance and he is driven to prove his innocence and identify the culprit. The reader is swept along on Christopher's journey and I found myself, as a parent and grandparent, not only rooting for Christopher but experiencing a myriad of emotions (protectiveness, concern, pride and irritation - among others) as the narrative progressed.

The four-star rating was the result of considerable rumination on my part. A fairly significant number of the books I read are in audiobook format. An audiobook narrator can, in my experience, make or break a book. In this case, the narrator had (at times) a whiny aspect to his voice that didn't, in my opinion, relate to the narrative's context .. that was (for me) off-putting and it definitely affected my opinion of the book as a whole. Regardless, I highly recommend The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time to any and all who enjoy a mystery and an adventure! ( )
  idajo2 | Nov 3, 2015 |
Fantastic insight into the mind of a boy someway along "the spectrum" of OCD/Autism written with such a natural voice. Really thought provoking character reasoning effortlessly written in to the simple, yet engrossing plot with some real heart-tugging moments.

Not my sort of book at all but thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  garethmottram | Oct 27, 2015 |
From the opening words to the closing lines the narrative voice in the book is true and unflinching. If an Asperger's hallmark is total self-involvement, utter literal-mindedness, obsessive coping mechanisms, and unwavering linear thinking, then Haddon is masterful in consistent writing that fully commits us to live inside that mind the entire length of this novel. If I attempted to render his hero for readers, the writing task he has accomplished would have driven me mad.

Here is a tribute to Sherlock Holmes, fictional detective, hero of deduction, startling intellectual, and who was possessed of only a moderately eccentric personality. Christopher Boone is a teen-aged special needs student who lives with his father and is unable to achieve self-care in spite of being a math savant. When he discovers the body of a neighbor's dog, stuck through with a pitchfork, he's determined to use Holmesian detection and deductive reasoning to discover the killer. Perseverance and total honesty, and later, remarkable courage are Christopher's greatest non-intellectual gifts, which serve him well in navigating the turmoil unleashed by his discovery and resolution.

The lives of the people categorized as normal furnish a background to Christopher's dysfunction. In comparison, Haddon leaves little doubt in readers' minds about how (un-)well normal people function in spite of being totally oriented to reality. By the end of the book we learn that it may be the person who thinks he cannot handle what life throws at him who has the qualities to best deal with the uncontrollable and overcome life's unpredictable challenges.

In spite of some profanity, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this novel to any adolescent reader as an eye-opening and satisfying read delivered from a unique perspective. ( )
  Limelite | Oct 25, 2015 |
Mark Haddon specialises in innovative storylines in his work as an author, screenwriter and illustrator allied to his remarkable ability to demonstrate what it is to be autistic without sentimentality or exaggeration allied to a creative use of puzzles, facts and photographs in the text mark him out as a real talent drawing on a range of abilities.
As Christopher investigates Wellington's death, he makes some remarkably brave decisions and when he eventually faces his fears and moves beyond his immediate neighborhood, the magnitude of his challenge and the joy in his achievement are overwhelming. Haddon creates a fascinating main character and allows the reader to share in his world, experiencing his ups and downs and his trials and successes. In providing a vivid world in which the reader participates vicariously, Haddon fulfills the most important requirements of fiction, entertaining at the same time that he broadens the reader's perspective and allows him to gain knowledge. This fascinating book should attract legions of enthusiastic readers.
It's something of a miracle that Haddon (a children's book author-illustrator) never slips into condescension, given that the novel is premised on the reader's cognitive advantage—it derives much of its meaning from the gap between what Christopher perceives and what we understand based on the details he dispassionately communicates.
added by stephmo | editVillage Voice, Dennis Lim (Jul 22, 2003)
The imaginative leap of writing a novel -- the genre that began as an exercise in sentiment -- without overt emotion is a daring one, and Haddon pulls it off beautifully. Christopher's story is full of paradoxes: naive yet knowing, detached but poignant, often wryly funny despite his absolute humorlessness.
Haddon's book illuminates the way one mind works so precisely, so humanely, that it reads like both an acutely observed case study and an artful exploration of a different ''mystery'': the thoughts and feelings we share even with those very different from us.

Mark Haddonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutavant, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cardenas, AlejandroCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carella, MariaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaye, Michael IanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallemans, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tibber, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Sos
With thanks to Kathryn Heyman, Clare Alexander, Kate Shaw and Dave Cohen
It was 7 minutes after midnight.
Wellington was a poodle. Not one of the small poodles that have hair styles but a big poodle.
I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.
All the other children at my school are stupid. Except I'm not meant to call them stupid, even though this is what they are.
Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.
I think people believe in heaven because they don’t like the idea of dying, because they want to carry on living and they don’t like the idea that other people will move into their house and put their things into the rubbish.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's, a form of autism. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

AR 5.4, 10 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0099450259, Paperback)

Mark Haddon's bitterly funny debut novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is a murder mystery of sorts--one told by an autistic version of Adrian Mole. Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone is mathematically gifted and socially hopeless, raised in a working-class home by parents who can barely cope with their child's quirks. He takes everything that he sees (or is told) at face value, and is unable to sort out the strange behavior of his elders and peers.

Late one night, Christopher comes across his neighbor's poodle, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork. Wellington's owner finds him cradling her dead dog in his arms, and has him arrested. After spending a night in jail, Christopher resolves--against the objection of his father and neighbors--to discover just who has murdered Wellington. He is encouraged by Siobhan, a social worker at his school, to write a book about his investigations, and the result--quirkily illustrated, with each chapter given its own prime number--is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Haddon's novel is a startling performance. This is the sort of book that could turn condescending, or exploitative, or overly sentimental, or grossly tasteless very easily, but Haddon navigates those dangers with a sureness of touch that is extremely rare among first-time novelists. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is original, clever, and genuinely moving: this one is a must-read. --Jack Illingworth, Amazon.ca

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:22 -0400)

Despite his overwhelming fear of interacting with people, Christopher, a mathematically-gifted, autistic fifteen-year-old boy, decides to investigate the murder of a neighbor's dog and uncovers secret information about his mother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,721 books! | Top bar: Always visible