The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The…

The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Mark Haddon

Member:Edrin
Title:The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time
Authors:Mark Haddon
Info:Vintage Books / Random House (2004), Edition: Later Printing, Paperback, 224 pages

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (2003)

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes (Cecrow, unlucky)
    Cecrow: A similar narrator, who undergoes a startling transformation.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Miss-Owl)
    Born on a Blue Day: Inside the Extraordinary Mind of an Autistic Savant: A Memoir by Daniel Tammet (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: The autobiography of an autistic man, offering insight into his thought processes and the difficulties that he faced
    The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon (tortoise, MyriadBooks, Lucy_Skywalker)
    tortoise: Both are well-written novels with a first-person autistic-spectrum narrator. The Curious Incident has a better-constructed plot (the villain in The Speed of Dark is a bit cartoonish), but The Speed of Dark is I think more interesting as a commentary on autism.… (more)
    MyriadBooks: Undeservedly overshadowed by the concurrent publication of The Curious Incident, I found The Speed of Dark superior in every respect.
    Lucy_Skywalker: Speed of Dark is indeed superior in every respect: plot, characters, writing style, and the author has a better understanding of autistic people being the mother of one of them.
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (jeanned)
    Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robison (kaelirenee)
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (JeaniusOak)
    JeaniusOak: Both equally readable by adults and teens alike
    Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork (jbarry)
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Anonymous user)
    Wonder by R. J. Palacio (bookwren)
    bookwren: Wonder is about a boy with a physical deformity who must interact with people who don't always understand him.
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (santli)
    santli: A young female protagonist who also stumbles across a strange murder and uses her prodigious knowledge of science to sleuth the answer.
    The Solitude of Prime Numbers by Paolo Giordano (Johanna11)
    Room by Emma Donoghue (bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    When I Was Five I Killed Myself by Howard Buten (sanddancer)
    Eye Contact by Cammie McGovern (Booksloth)
    Lottery by Patricia Wood (suzanney, chndlrs)
    The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig (Booksloth)
    The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan (cbl_tn)
    cbl_tn: The protagonists in both books imagine themselves as detectives. Both characters are accurate observers, but because they think differently than most people, they don't perceive the implications or consequences of their discoveries.
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (MickyFine)
    Out of My Mind by Sharon M. Draper (bookwren)
    bookwren: Out of My Mind reveals the thoughts and feelings of a girl with cerebral palsy.

English (957)  Spanish (18)  Dutch (13)  French (5)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Catalan (2)  Romanian (1)  Korean (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (1,011)
fin bog om aspergers syndrom
  Logopedia | Sep 4, 2014 |
Christopher's voice is unique and that is the primary appeal of this book. I loved seeing the world through his eyes and watching his face fears in his own way. I could also understand the frustrations his parents faced just seeing their reactions through Christopher's eyes. Equal parts amusing and touching. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Aug 20, 2014 |
While I seriously love many books, I have always considered this novel to be my favorite since the first time I read it. The most unique novel I have ever read with an engrossing plotline that gives me chills every time I read it. I recommend to anyone with a sympathetic heart and a love for literature focused on the relationship between a parent and their disabled child. ( )
  juliamarinaro | Aug 19, 2014 |
A very different sort of a book that forces the reader to see the world though the eyes of the protagonist partly through the language and partly though the odd way he interprets the world around him. I enjoyed it many years ago when I first read it. ( )
  areadingmachine | Aug 19, 2014 |
The inherent problem with a book like this is that the narrator is, by very nature, disconnected from emotion. Consequently the reader is unable to make an emotional investment in any of the characters either. This makes for an interesting piece of literature but a poor story. Disliking the narrator is not necessarily an issue, disliking the entire cast causes problems. ( )
  themus | Aug 2, 2014 |
Mark Haddon specialises in innovative storylines in his work as an author, screenwriter and illustrator allied to his remarkable ability to demonstrate what it is to be autistic without sentimentality or exaggeration allied to a creative use of puzzles, facts and photographs in the text mark him out as a real talent drawing on a range of abilities.

As Christopher investigates Wellington's death, he makes some remarkably brave decisions and when he eventually faces his fears and moves beyond his immediate neighborhood, the magnitude of his challenge and the joy in his achievement are overwhelming. Haddon creates a fascinating main character and allows the reader to share in his world, experiencing his ups and downs and his trials and successes. In providing a vivid world in which the reader participates vicariously, Haddon fulfills the most important requirements of fiction, entertaining at the same time that he broadens the reader's perspective and allows him to gain knowledge. This fascinating book should attract legions of enthusiastic readers.

It's something of a miracle that Haddon (a children's book author-illustrator) never slips into condescension, given that the novel is premised on the reader's cognitive advantage—it derives much of its meaning from the gap between what Christopher perceives and what we understand based on the details he dispassionately communicates.
added by stephmo | editVillage Voice, Dennis Lim (Jul 22, 2003)

The imaginative leap of writing a novel -- the genre that began as an exercise in sentiment -- without overt emotion is a daring one, and Haddon pulls it off beautifully. Christopher's story is full of paradoxes: naive yet knowing, detached but poignant, often wryly funny despite his absolute humorlessness.

Haddon's book illuminates the way one mind works so precisely, so humanely, that it reads like both an acutely observed case study and an artful exploration of a different ''mystery'': the thoughts and feelings we share even with those very different from us.

Mark Haddonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Boutavant, MarcCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pallemans, HarryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tibber, BenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodman, JeffNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to Sos
With thanks to Kathryn Heyman, Clare Alexander, Kate Shaw and Dave Cohen
It was 7 minutes after midnight.
Wellington was a poodle. Not one of the small poodles that have hair styles but a big poodle.
I like dogs. You always know what a dog is thinking. It has four moods. Happy, sad, cross and concentrating. Also, dogs are faithful and they do not tell lies because they cannot talk.
All the other children at my school are stupid. Except I'm not meant to call them stupid, even though this is what they are.
Prime numbers are what is left when you have taken all the patterns away. I think prime numbers are like life. They are very logical but you could never work out the rules, even if you spent all your time thinking about them.
I think people believe in heaven because they don’t like the idea of dying, because they want to carry on living and they don’t like the idea that other people will move into their house and put their things into the rubbish.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is a murder mystery novel like no other. The detective, and narrator, is Christopher Boone. Christopher is fifteen and has Asperger's, a form of autism. He knows a very great deal about maths and very little about human beings. He loves lists, patterns and the truth. He hates the colours yellow and brown and being touched. He has never gone further than the end of the road on his own, but when he finds a neighbour's dog murdered he sets out on a terrifying journey which will turn his whole world upside down.

AR 5.4, 10 Pts

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0099450259, Paperback)

Mark Haddon's bitterly funny debut novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is a murder mystery of sorts--one told by an autistic version of Adrian Mole. Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone is mathematically gifted and socially hopeless, raised in a working-class home by parents who can barely cope with their child's quirks. He takes everything that he sees (or is told) at face value, and is unable to sort out the strange behavior of his elders and peers.

Late one night, Christopher comes across his neighbor's poodle, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork. Wellington's owner finds him cradling her dead dog in his arms, and has him arrested. After spending a night in jail, Christopher resolves--against the objection of his father and neighbors--to discover just who has murdered Wellington. He is encouraged by Siobhan, a social worker at his school, to write a book about his investigations, and the result--quirkily illustrated, with each chapter given its own prime number--is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Haddon's novel is a startling performance. This is the sort of book that could turn condescending, or exploitative, or overly sentimental, or grossly tasteless very easily, but Haddon navigates those dangers with a sureness of touch that is extremely rare among first-time novelists. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is original, clever, and genuinely moving: this one is a must-read. --Jack Illingworth, Amazon.ca

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:59 -0400)

Despite his overwhelming fear of interacting with people, Christopher, a mathematically-gifted, autistic fifteen-year-old boy, decides to investigate the murder of a neighbor's dog and uncovers secret information about his mother.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,657,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible