The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray

The Sweet Far Thing (2007)

by Libba Bray

Series: Gemma Doyle (3)

I enjoyed this book, but honestly things got pretty crazy and scattered at the end. It was also more difficult to connect with Gemma in this book compared to the first two. If you've read the other two then you have to finish the series, but really I was a little disappointed with the last installment of this trilogy. ( )
  Tigerlily12 | Jul 9, 2014 |
When I finished I just sat there and thought, WOW. Words really can't describe this book, I absolutely loved it. Gemma is one of the few female protagonists I actually like and I think her story had a perfect if not very sad ending. The last line in the book was perfect for a conclusion to this breathtaking trilogy. I think this series will stay with me for a very long time. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Very glad to have finally finished this series finale (5 years later!). I love Libba Bray, but I found Gemma and her friends to be so tedious in this book. Overall, I love the themes of this series -- a group of repressed Victorian girls find a door to a hidden world in which they are rulers. There's so much good stuff here. I really wish this last book could have been condensed, because it went pretty scattershot at the end. ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Mar 11, 2014 |
Now that Gemma has eliminated the threat posed by Circe, she can take her time to decide the ultimate fate of the realms' magic she bound to herself. However, not everyone is content to wait. Strange stirrings in the Winterlands, disturbing visions of a mute lady in violet, and startling signs of life from Circe start to convince Gemma that she doesn't have as much time as she thought. When her family becomes a target, she has to learn quickly who to trust. Will she choose wisely?

I think I liked Gemma the least in this third novel of the trilogy. She really became a spoiled, self-centered teenager here, using the magic in incredibly irresponsible ways. At 800+ pages, she had ample opportunity to grate on one's nerves! In the second book there seemed to be hope that she would understand the great responsibility that she has, but that understanding came much too late for way too many people in this third and final book. The ending was unsatisfactory as there is much left to be done in the realms to forge a lasting peace, and I just don't see Gemma as being quite self-sufficient enough to make the choice the does in the end. All in all, though, a great trilogy. ( )
  arbjames | Jan 13, 2014 |

I would have given this book a 4 if it were half the length. That being said, I otherwise really enjoyed this novel. It's been four or five years since I read the first two, and besides my impatience to hurry up and get the plot moving (it really did drag at some points), it was otherwise a satisfying conclusion.

I know a lot of readers didn't appreciate the resolution with Kartik, or the relationship development of Felicity and Pippa. I will have to disagree though and say I found it refreshing to read a YA novel directed towards women that: 1) didn't resolve with a hooray-everybody-ended-up-with-their-man-and-now-their-existence-is-validated happily ever after (really, does every teen book need to conclude that way?), and 2.) explicitly featured a homosexual relationship, without just hinting at it.
  mirandainspace | Aug 22, 2013 |

Libba Brayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bailey, JosephineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Barry and Josh, with love And for all who believe that peace is not an ideal or a pipe dream but a necessity
The night was cold and dismal, and out on the Thames, the rivermen cursed their luck.

IT HAS BEEN A YEAR OF CHANGE since Gemma Doyle arrived at the foreboding Spence Academy. Her mother murdered, her father a
laudanum addict, Gemma has relied on an unsuspected strength and has discovered an ability to travel to an enchanted world called the realms, where dark magic runs wild. Despite certain peril, Gemma has bound the magic to herself and forged unlikely new alliances. Now, as Gemma approaches her London debut, the time has come to test these bonds.

The Order - the mysterious group her mother was once part of - is grappling for control of the realms, as is the Rakshana. Spence's burned East Wing is being rebuilt, but why now? Gemma and her friends see Pippa, but she is not the same. And their friendship faces its gravest trial as Gemma must decide once and for all what role she is meant for.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:30:55 -0400)

At Spence Academy, sixteen-year-old Gemma Doyle continues preparing for her London debut while struggling to determine how best to use magic to resolve a power struggle in the enchanted world of the realms, and to protect her own world and loved ones.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,778,770 books! | Top bar: Always visible