Of Grammatology by Jacques Derrida

Of Grammatology

by Jacques Derrida

Not Saussure: A Critique of Post-Saussurean Literary Theory by Raymond Tallis (bertilak)
    Derrida: A Very Short Introduction by Simon Glendinning (billmcn)
    billmcn: "Derrida: A Very Short Introduction" contains a very accessible precis of the concept of différance.
    Derrida's Of Grammatology (Indiana Philosophical Guides) by Arthur Bradley (billmcn)
    billmcn: A lucid and accessible exegesis of this book

English (3)  French (1)  All languages (4)
I didn't finish the book. I got to page 289--27 short of the end--and just couldn't go any further. So if there was a brilliant insight located in the last 27 pages, I missed it.

This book was an utter waste of my time. That's not necessarily a reflection on Derrida. It may be that I am an idiot. Either way, I got nothing of value from it, so there's not much more that I can say about it.

My guess is it's Derrida, though. I would suggest you stay away from this book unless 1) you're required to read it, or 2) you find similar but somewhat clearer thinkers (Baudrillard, Foucault, Barthes, Bataille) very stimulating. But start your postmodern adventure with those, not with big D. ( )
2 vote Matt_the_Cat | Jul 17, 2009 |
A superb and crucial book, and the cornerstone of Derrida's work. But I have come to believe that Derrida is the vehicle that made it possible to advance from the work of Husserl and Heidegger to the work of Bernard Stiegler. ( )
  djross | Mar 10, 2009 |
1 vote billmcn | Feb 22, 2009 |

Jacques Derridaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Spivak, Gayatri ChakravortyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Jacques Derrida's revolutionary theories about deconstruction, phenomenology, psychoanalysis, and structuralism, first voiced in the 1960s, forever changed the face of European and American criticism. The ideas in De la grammatologie sparked lively debates in intellectual circles that included students of literature, philosophy, and the humanities, inspiring these students to ask questions of their disciplines that had previously been considered improper. Thirty years later, the immense influence of Derrida's work is still igniting controversy, thanks in part to Gayatri Spivak's translation, which captures the richness and complexity of the original. This corrected edition adds a new index of the critics and philosophers cited in the text and makes one of contemporary criticism's most indispensable works even more accessible and usable.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:53 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,034,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible