The Dead Zone by Stephen King

The Dead Zone (original 1979; edition 1979)

by Stephen King

Title:The Dead Zone
Authors:Stephen King
Info:Viking Press (1979), First edition, Hardcover with dust jacket
Collections:Your library, Signed and limited, Stephen King
Tags:unreviewed, Castle Rock, horror, psychic powers, inscribed

The Dead Zone by Stephen King (1979)

English (68)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (73)
I like King's early novels, I feel they're the best in his catalog. That being said, I was quite disappointed with The Dead Zone. The storyline felt all over the place - nothing held my interest throughout the book. ( )
  beebowallace | Nov 7, 2015 |
Letto qualche anno fa quand'ero ragazza e mi ha entusiasmato; ho poi visto il film, bellissimo anche quello. Ed ora che l'ho riletto mi è piaciuto ancora di più.
Una bellissima storia, avvincente e a tratti di grande delicatezza. Ho divorato letteralmente questo libro come quando da ragazza non avevo lavoro, famiglia, impegni, e l'amore per una storia mi faceva dedicare tutto il tempo libero ad essa, ed era da tanto tanto tempo che non succedeva. ( )
  LdiBi | Oct 24, 2015 |
This is a political novel and in no way can it be considered a subtle one. Here Republicans (the Tories) are dog killing Nazis and Democrats (the Lib Dems) are gangly school teachers. The Republican God shouts a lot and the Democrat God is that still, small voice.

While I find King's presentation a bit on the simple side I do like his politics: Let's all be really, really nice to each other and if anyone disagrees with us we should kill them. ( )
  Lukerik | Oct 1, 2015 |
"The Wheel of Fortune", Part I, of this book is excellent, five star all the way! Part II, "The Laughing Tiger", not so much. Johnny's pursuit of a killer is a much better read than his pursuit of a politician. Still, it makes for an overall good book, and an enjoyable read. Also, it's a little snapshot of the U.S. political climate back in the late '70's, early '80's. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Aug 8, 2015 |
The worst Stephen King book I've ever read.

This was very surprising to me because I absolutely loved the first half of this book and thought that maybe it would be one that I would actually enjoy reading.

However, the latter half of the book left me extremely disappointed. It started to drag on and on and it went in an entirely different direction than I expected. It's almost like a different person wrote the second half of the book because it was so utterly and completely boring.

Here's hoping the next King book that I read doesn't turn out to be this horrendous. ( )
1 vote Wonderland_Books | May 2, 2015 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauman, JillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siddons, Anne RiversIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Owen. I love you, old bear.
Esto es para Owen, Te quiero, viejo oso
By the time he graduated from college, John Smith had forgotten all about the bad fall he took on the ice that January day in 1953.
Cuando terminó sus estudios universitarios, John Smith habia olvidado por completo la fea caída que había sufrido en el hielo en aquel día de enro de 1953.

Awake in the dead zone and awake to a nightmare. Recoil in horror as you are touched by a young man cursed with the power to perceive the evil in men’s souls. And whose ability to see into the future forces him into a terrifying confrontation with a charismatic, power-hungry and infinitely dangerous man.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451155750, Mass Market Paperback)

In the St. James Guide to Horror, Ghost & Gothic Writers, Gary Westfahl predicts that "King has already earned himself a place in the history of literature.... At the very least, he will enjoy the status of a latter-day Anthony Trollope, an author respected for his popularity and social commentary.... More likely, he will be enshrined as the Charles Dickens of the late 20th century, the writer who perfectly reflected, encapsulated, and expressed the characteristic concerns of his era."

If any of King's novels exemplifies his skill at portraying the concerns of his generation, it's The Dead Zone (1979). Although it contains a horrific subplot about a serial killer, it isn't strictly a horror novel. It's the story of an unassuming high school teacher, an Everyman, who suffers a gap in time--like a Rip Van Winkle who blacks out during the years 1970-75--and thus becomes acutely conscious of the way that American society is rapidly changing. He wakes up as well with a gap in his brain, the "dead zone" of the title. The zone gives him crippling headaches, but also grants him second sight, a talent he doesn't want and is reluctant to use. The crux of the novel concerns whether he will use that talent to alter the course of history.

The Dead Zone is a tight, well-crafted book. When asked in 1983 which of his novels so far was "the best," Stephen King answered, "The one that I think works the best is Dead Zone. It's the one that [has] the most story." --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

In his unequalled career, Stephen King has forged a place in publishing history as the most popular and recognized author of all time. Now, Signet is proud to reissue his most startling psychological thriller! After awakening from a four and a half year-long coma, a simple teacher finds himself irreparably altered -- both blessed ... and cursed -- with precognative visions of the future. Driven by his altruistic nature, he decides to use his newfound powers to prevent tragic events yet to happen. But as word of his unique ability leads to unwanted fame, the gift he hoped to share with humanity inevitably separates him from it.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,883,139 books! | Top bar: Always visible