THE DEAD ZONE. by Stephen. King

THE DEAD ZONE. (original 1979; edition 1979)

by Stephen. King

Member:ezvezdova
Title:THE DEAD ZONE.
Authors:Stephen. King
Info:Macdonald and Jane's (1979), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 426 pages

The Dead Zone by Stephen King (1979)

English (88)  German (2)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (94)
The one thing I hear more often than any other when people tell me why they've never read a King novel is "oh, I don't like scary books. Horror is just not my thing."
No matter what I say, they refuse to believe that a great deal of King's work only seems to be labelled as "horror" for convenience, and actually has very little to do with the genre. King writes books about people in unusual situations, and yes, there's often a supernatural or strange quality to at least one of the characters, but the stories are often no scarier than your average detective thriller (which King has also written a few of, by the way).
There are exceptions of course, but for the most part, there are books like The Dead Zone, which I would personally have much rather put in the "sci-fi" category, if the unusual element was in fact due to science or somesuch.

Don't be fooled by the title. The Dead Zone contains no zombies, animated skeletons or any other monsters, except those of the purely human variety. Instead it's a gripping tale of what happens when an ordinary man is given an extraordinary ability.

If you're on the fence about trying King because you don't like killer clowns, then leave It on the shelf, and pick up a book like The Dead Zone instead.

Uncle Stevie really isn't as scary as he seems... ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Nov 19, 2018 |
3.5 stars ( )
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
Sometimes drawn out, and some of the characters were more evil than necessary, but I enjoyed it overall. ( )
  TromboneAl | May 4, 2018 |
I always love returning to Stephen King. This was one of his earlier novels and I had not heard too much about ti. Apparently there was a movie made out of it many years ago. I think this story has aged well. It is classic King with his ability to tell a story, foreshadow, and really get into the minds of his characters. This novel follows a person with supposed psychic abilities, and while fantastical, the story does seem plausible. I enjoyed the read. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
This was the very first Stephen King book I ever read (at age 12, btw), and I'm surprised I never re-read it until now. It's the one that got me hooked on King- - and I mean HOOKED. Yet, I never revisited this one....
I saw that it was recently released inn audio, with James Franco reading it. I was convinced: time tho luck this baby up again! So glad I did! It's even better than I had remembered, plus Franco brings such richness to the story with his reading of it! I highly recommend this book to you, even (especially?) if you're not a King fan.... it's different from his usual fare. ( )
  trayceetee | Apr 9, 2018 |

King, Stephenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bauman, JillIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Brown, ChristopherCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dunkel, AlfredÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matas, RichardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siddons, Anne RiversIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is for Owen. I love you, old bear.
Esto es para Owen, Te quiero, viejo oso
By the time he graduated from college, John Smith had forgotten all about the bad fall he took on the ice that January day in 1953.
Cuando terminó sus estudios universitarios, John Smith habia olvidado por completo la fea caída que había sufrido en el hielo en aquel día de enro de 1953.

Awake in the dead zone and awake to a nightmare. Recoil in horror as you are touched by a young man cursed with the power to perceive the evil in men’s souls. And whose ability to see into the future forces him into a terrifying confrontation with a charismatic, power-hungry and infinitely dangerous man.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451155750, Mass Market Paperback)

In the St. James Guide to Horror, Ghost & Gothic Writers, Gary Westfahl predicts that "King has already earned himself a place in the history of literature.... At the very least, he will enjoy the status of a latter-day Anthony Trollope, an author respected for his popularity and social commentary.... More likely, he will be enshrined as the Charles Dickens of the late 20th century, the writer who perfectly reflected, encapsulated, and expressed the characteristic concerns of his era."

If any of King's novels exemplifies his skill at portraying the concerns of his generation, it's The Dead Zone (1979). Although it contains a horrific subplot about a serial killer, it isn't strictly a horror novel. It's the story of an unassuming high school teacher, an Everyman, who suffers a gap in time--like a Rip Van Winkle who blacks out during the years 1970-75--and thus becomes acutely conscious of the way that American society is rapidly changing. He wakes up as well with a gap in his brain, the "dead zone" of the title. The zone gives him crippling headaches, but also grants him second sight, a talent he doesn't want and is reluctant to use. The crux of the novel concerns whether he will use that talent to alter the course of history.

The Dead Zone is a tight, well-crafted book. When asked in 1983 which of his novels so far was "the best," Stephen King answered, "The one that I think works the best is Dead Zone. It's the one that [has] the most story." --Fiona Webster

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

In his unequalled career, Stephen King has forged a place in publishing history as the most popular and recognized author of all time. Now, Signet is proud to reissue his most startling psychological thriller! After awakening from a four and a half year-long coma, a simple teacher finds himself irreparably altered -- both blessed ... and cursed -- with precognative visions of the future. Driven by his altruistic nature, he decides to use his newfound powers to prevent tragic events yet to happen. But as word of his unique ability leads to unwanted fame, the gift he hoped to share with humanity inevitably separates him from it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,806,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible