Patrimonium een waar verhaal by Philip Roth

Patrimonium een waar verhaal (original 1991; edition 2003)

by Philip Roth

651None14,785 (4.04)8
Member:biblion
Title:Patrimonium een waar verhaal
Authors:Philip Roth
Info:Amsterdam Meulenhoff 2003

Patrimony: A True Story by Philip Roth (1991)

English (10)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (18)
Philip Roth delivers a touching tribute to his father. With eloquence, humor and the utmost respect he shares his father's illness leading up to his final days. Herman Roth wakes up one morning to a strange paralysis, drooping eyelid, slack cheek and slurred speech, on one side of his face. Thinking he has had a stroke Philip takes his father to see a doctor. The news is worse. Herman has a brain tumor at the base of his skull that has been growing for ten years. What follows is a journey of father and son, navigating medical treatments and traversing the rough road of relationships. The result is a touching memoir of discovery for both father and son. If you have never read anything by Roth, read this. ( )
  SeriousGrace | Jun 18, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 5, 2013 |
  cavlibrary | Jun 3, 2013 |
Patrimony tells the story of Philip Roth’s father’s battle with a brain tumor. We are taken through the last few years of his life – his struggle, his decline, and his ultimate death. Roth documents all the triumphs and struggles his father has with his declining health while showcasing his father’s past. The relationship between Roth and his father is highlighted throughout the story which leads to some touching moments.

Philip Roth writes beautifully and this book is no exception. However, I was not taken in by this story. There were times where I felt that Roth was showcasing his accomplishments and talents. At other times I did not understand the point of a specific narrative and its significance to the story of his father. Ultimately this book had some heartwarming and heart wrenching parts, but I would not say this is one of Roth’s best works. Anyone dealing with an elderly parent may get more out of this book than I did. ( )
1 vote goose114 | May 11, 2011 |
Recommended by my writing teacher, beautifully written. Fine example of showing, not telling. Great balance of narrator's voice and story of his father. Light touch. ( )
  Eeekievonkane | Mar 20, 2011 |

Philip Rothprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hoog, ElseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My father had lost most of the sight in his right eye by the time he'd reached eighty-six, but otherwise he seemed in phenomenal health for a man his age when he came down with what the Florida doctor diagnosed, incorrectly, ad Bell's palsy, a viral infection that causes paralysis, usually temporary, to one side of the face.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679752935, Paperback)

With the honesty of a skilled biographer and the sensitivity of a caring son, Roth chronicles the life of his father, Herman, in this gripping work which won a 1991 National Book Critics Circle Award. Roth holds little back in describing his father as a man of rare intensity and fierce independence who, for better or worse, stood by his principles and held others to his own rigorous standards. Writes Roth, "His obsessive stubbornness--his stubborn obsessiveness--had very nearly driven my mother to a breakdown in her final years." Frank throughout, Roth calls his father "a pitiless realist, but I wasn't his offspring for nothing, and I could be pretty realistic, too."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:21 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible