The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

The Prince of Mist (original 1993; edition 2010)

by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Member:AlisonsBookMarks
Title:The Prince of Mist
Authors:Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2010), Edition: First American Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Prince of Mist by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (1993)

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: The Shadow of the Wind has the same sense of mystery and suspense as The Prince of Mist and I think it's a better example of Zafon's writing
    My Swordhand is Singing by Marcus Sedgwick (avatiakh)
    Something Wicked this Way Comes by Ray Bradbury (bookwyrmm)

English (61)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (68)
It wasn't really ok. It was trite and predictable and adolescent. Never mind. It doesn't stop Shadow of the Wind being one of the best books ever. ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | Jun 17, 2014 |
Gads, I'm a wimp. This might be a very good book, but I couldn't finish it. I was excited, at the start, because I've enjoyed Zafon's other works, but this one has taken a turn from, by my estimation, gothic into straight up horror.

Or, maybe it's just me.

Clowns. With sharp teeth. That's all I'm gonna say. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
I start the review with a disclaimer! Please bear in mind the following points when you read my review as these no doubt have an influence on any concluding thoughts on the book which I present here.

- My mum gave me the book a couple of years ago.
- I would not have bought it myself.
- The 'Young Adult' genre is not something I usually read, well, not for many years.
- I do like mystery and horror genres though.
- I just wouldn't have bought it myself.

So, we need to keep these points in mind as I continue. The Prince of Mist is the debut novel for Carlos Ruiz Zafon who has since developed an extremely successful writing career. The book is primarily classed as 'young adult genre' but Zafon hopes that adults of any age will enjoy the book.

The story is set in 1943 and follows 13 year old Max and his family as his father moves them from their home in the city (we are never told where in the world this is) and out to a picturesque coastal village primarily as a perceived threat of war approaches. In his new home Max is confronted by anticipation, fear and wonder as mysterious happenings start to arise. These are linked to the story of the previous home owners, a strange walled garden filled with unusual statues (for Doctor Who fans think 'Blink') and the spooky shipwreck of The Orpheus which Max gets the opportunity to visit with his older sister Alicia who is 15 and his new friend Roland.

Zafon writes extremely well in that he has created an easy to read, captivating book with a wonderfully chilling and mysterious atmosphere. I would say that the strength in his writing lies in this development of atmosphere and scenery. However, I found the character and plot development to be a little 'thin' at times. Whilst I found the book to be a page turner, in that it was so easy to read and had great atmosphere, there were elements of it that did niggle to the extent where I didn't really care about the characters and thus I wasn't really bothered about what the outcome would be.

Max, the main character, is 13 and, without wishing to go too far into the story to provide spoilers, he and the other young characters seem to have almost superhuman strength, power and emotions. I do realise that this is fantasy and so need to suspend an element of my disbelief, however, as odd as it sounds, I do like some of my fantasy to follow a certain logic, particularly when it comes to human nature and ability. If the characters portrayed here were muted to be superheroes then all would be fine but they are not. They are young teenagers and we are led to believe that they would do certain things which command superhuman powers.

Max is 13, he has been uprooted from his family home and all that he has known to a strange place. He and his family go on to suffer an incident early on in the book which lead to his parents having to leave him and his 15 year old sister alone for a few days in these unfamiliar surroundings. Again, without wanting to give too much away, I can understand the reason for his parents absence however, both? at the same time? for a number of days? With a war on? Max and his sister seemed nonplussed at this and we have very little discussion between them about the matter which appears to be of no consequence to them so I guess I should just take this as read. I do find it odd that I can easily believe in the creepy happenings in the story but not in the characters who I feel are 'thinly' drawn and almost comic book in style. Maybe this was the intention. To create role models and super heroes, characters that young adults reading the book can relate to and want to be. Unfortunately, for me, this just detracted from the enjoyment of the book.

Oh dear. I feel I am being way too critical and analytical about this. If I was more used to the young adult genre then maybe I would think differently and I would be giving 4 or 5 stars which a large number of the reviews do give. Ultimately, I can't help wondering if it is more of a personality clash between me and the book. We didn't really see eye to eye on a lot of the points and I just don't get some of it. As with personality clashes, other people can, do and will get on famously with him, it's just that it wasn't to be for me and The Prince of Mist. ( )
1 vote lilywren | Jan 16, 2014 |
Great story with a unique ending ( )
  Benjamin.Timmins | Jan 8, 2014 |
What I liked about El Principe was that all doesn't end well, though one can think of things getting worse. Nothing here is sugar coated, but certainly there is some suspension of belief involved whenever little children can do hard, physically challenging tasks. The complete lack of adults, or the incompetence of the one, frail grandpa, is perhaps exaggerated. Though the characters are well developed, there are perhaps too many unexplained loose ends. What about the cat? And the wardrobe? (How many times can wardrobes be involved in fantasy books, really?) And the statues? Where's Eva? And as far as I understand, the remaining two books of the series have nothing to do with this story, so these questions will never be answered. I think I am OK with that, since I do not need everything in life to be explained with sensible reasons, but those who need complete closure should avoid this book. Anyone who likes ghost stories, a touch of horror, and a touch of coming-of-age might like the book.

The level of Spanish is not too hard. I was able to read the book without a dictionary, though at times some naval terms and the descriptions of the sunken ship make it a bit tough. I would recommend the book to intermediate to advanced Spanish readers. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
Once The Prince of Mist gets moving, though, Zafón's real strength shines through: chills. There are some genuinely, deliciously scary sequences that will thrill young readers, particularly if they, like me, have a thing about clowns. And by "thing about", I mean "terrified hatred of". The unevenness here is probably that of a first-time novelist finding his feet, but there are treats enough for an enjoyable read.

Carlos Ruiz Zafónprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graves, LuciaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
2010 (UKUS)
Para mi padre, Justo Ruiz Vigo, que me enseñó a ser amigo de los libros.
Max would never forget that faraway summer when, almost by chance, he discovered magic.
Also published as El principe de la Niebla in Spanish

1943: de vader van Max Carver – horlogemaker, uitvinder en eeuwig optimistische dromer – besluit met zijn gezin naar een dorp aan de kust te verhuizen, naar een oud huis aan het strand dat ooit toebehoorde aan een beroemde chirurg, dokter Fleischmann. Maar het huis bevat vele eigen geheimen en verhalen en erachter ligt een naargeestige, ommuurde tuin met een poort waarboven een zespuntige ster troont. Als Max een kijkje gaat nemen in die tuin, krijgt hij de schrik van zijn leven.
Terwijl het gezin Carver zich installeert en probeert te wennen, sluiten Max en zijn zus Alicia al snel vriendschap met Roland. Door hem ontmoeten ze zijn grootvader, de vuurtorenwachter. Hij was 25 jaar geleden de enige overlevende van een schipbreuk met de Orpheus, een wrak dat daar voor de kust ligt. Bij een duik naar het schip ziet Max iets dat hem onaangenaam treft: aan de mast golft een halfvergane vlag met een afbeelding van dezelfde zespuntige ster die hij aantrof op de tuinpoort. Wanneer de drie vrienden Rolands grootvader onder druk zetten om meer te weten te komen, begint het huiveringwekkende verhaal van de Nevelprins zich in al zijn gruwelijkheid te openbaren …

1943. As war sweeps across Europe, Max Carver's father moves his family away from the city, to an old wooden house on the coast. But as soon as they arrive, strange things begin to happen: Max discovers a garden filled with eerie statues; his sisters are plagued by unsettling dreams and voices; a box of old films opens a window to the past. Most unsettling of all are rumours about the previous owners and the mysterious disappearance of their son. As Max delves into the past, he encounters the terrifying story of the Prince of Mist, a sinister shadow who emerges from the night to settle old scores, then disappears with the first mists of dawn.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316044776, Hardcover)

It's war time, and the Carver family decides to leave the capital where they live and move to a small coastal village where they've recently bought a home. But from the minute they cross the threshold, strange things begin to happen. In that mysterious house still lurks the spirit of Jacob, the previous owners' son, who died by drowning.

With the help of their new friend Roland, Max and Alicia Carver begin to explore the strange circumstances of that death and discover the existence of a mysterious being called the Prince of Mist--a diabolical character who has returned from the shadows to collect on a debt from the past. Soon the three friends find themselves caught up in an adventure of sunken ships and an enchanted stone garden--an adventure that will change their lives forever.

Amazon Exclusive: Interview with Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Author of The Prince of Mist

How did you come to write The Prince of Mist as your debut novel, which was first published in Spanish in 1993?

When I wrote The Prince of Mist I was in my mid twenties. I had written a couple of unpublished novels and a number of short stories before, published some pieces in magazines and newspapers, etc. I had been writing since I was a child, but I realized that I had never really written anything that I was completely happy with. Something was missing. I already felt that I was late in the game and that I had been wasting my time doing other things while I should have been focusing more seriously in my writing. I guess that, like many writers, I was just trying to find my own voice. Around that time I was working as a musician, although I knew that my "true" path, at least professionally, was in the writing. At some point I decided to drop everything and start working on this little novel, telling myself that this had to be "the one." Although I had never thought I would write for younger readers, the story seemed to me perfectly suited for that genre and, I suppose, I still hoped to be able to write something that would appeal to readers of all ages. I decided to try to write the book I would have liked to read when I was 12 or 13 years old. I worked quite hard on it, harder than I had worked on anything before. I remember writing at night over the summer of 1992 in Barcelona, from midnight till dawn. It was the summer of the Barcelona Olympics and it was hot and humid as hell. You can say I really sweated this one. I ended up having to buy this portable AC machine that I would point at my face while I was writing. I was fortunate in that the novel won an important literary award and became quite successful. It was the book that allowed me to become a professional writer and to start my career as a novelist, and I’ve always been fond of it.

What do you think are the most important differences when writing for adult readers and young adult readers?

I don't think there're that many differences, really. You just have to write the best possible story in the most efficient way you are capable of. It is all about the language, the style, the atmosphere, the characters, the plot, the images and textures… If anything, I believe that younger readers are even more demanding and sincere about their feelings about what they're reading, and you have to be honest, never condescending. I don't think younger readers are an ounce less smart than adult ones. I think they are able to understand anything intellectually but perhaps there're emotional elements that they have not experienced in their lives yet, although they will eventually. Because of this, I think it is important to include a perspective in the work that allows them to find an emotional core that they can relate to not just intellectually. Other than that, I think you should work as hard as you can for your audience, respect them and try to bring the best of your craft to the table. My own personal view is that there’s just good writing and bad writing. All other labels are, at least to me, irrelevant.

In the novel, there are many references to watches, clocks and the passage of time. For instance, Max Carver, the central character, receives a pocket watch as a birthday gift from his watchmaker father. Its case is engraved with the words "Max's Time Machine." When the Carver family moves to a coastal town and arrives at the train station, Max observes that the train station clock is turning backwards. Why is the theme of time so important in the novel?

Time is the thread of our lives, and in this story we see how events in the past, actions in our lives, have consequences later on. In some ways, we are the sum of our actions, our choices, our deeds. Life hands us a number of cards at the beginning of the game. We cannot choose them, but we can choose how we play them. That is an aspect that interests me very much and I try to explore it through the stories I write. I also believe that we are, to a certain extent, what we remember and the novel tries to reflect on these ideas as it jumps back and forth in time exploring the mystery at the heart of the novel.

Without revealing too many secrets of your craft, what do you feel are the key ingredients of a spellbinding mystery?

I think a good mystery story is just a good story, period. The key ingredients are the same as for any kind of good story: language, style, atmosphere, characterization, structure, imagery, subtext, etc. Good mysteries tend to be based on character rather than just on plot, but at the end of the day it is all in the writing actually.

Max, Alicia and Roland are all teenagers, who are confronted with extraordinary and bewildering situations, and yet they don't immediately turn to adults for answers. Why not?

Because I think that teenagers want their own answers. They need them. They need to understand the world around, and inside, themselves and they can only do that by finding out themselves the truth. Children rely on adults to tell them what the world is, and they usually get taken for a ride. A teenager knows, feels, the world is something she or he has to figure out.

The novel's setting--a coastal town in a time of war—is not very specific. Why not?

I guess if you read between the lines you could guess the town is on the south coast of England during World War II. In the original version that was the case, but while I was revising the translation I decided to rewrite and redone certain parts and details and opted for a more generic location. I feel that what is important is that this is a story that happens in a place that we all can remember in our lives, and I wanted to emphasize that.

The Prince of Mist was an award winner and a bestseller in Spain, and has only recently reached an English-reading audience. What is the translation process and how were you involved in it?

I am very involved in the translation process. I've been very lucky in that I've been working with the extremely talented Lucia Graves on the English translations of my novels. Lucia, who's a very accomplished novelist on her own, grew up in Spain and is completely bilingual. Our goal is to bring the reader a text that is exactly the same as the original in terms of flow, of texture, of pacing, of the music the prose makes. To that end we work very hard with Lucia and I often I'll rewrite sections or retouch things here and there to ensure that what you read in English is almost 100% what you would read in Spanish, without losing anything of the rhythm or the nuances in the flow of the language. I've noticed that sometimes readers, especially readers in English who are not very used to reading translations, tend to mystify the process and think that a translation is a rewrite or a reinvention of the original. It is not. A good translation is invisible and bring you exactly what was in the original, nothing more, nothing less.

You divide your time between Barcelona and LA. Are the two cities reflected in your work?

I think so. Barcelona is my hometown, the place I was born and grew up in. It is in my blood and I am very much a product of it. On the other hand, I've spent quite some time in California and I believe that a lot of my experiences here find their ways into the books. Writers use what they have at hand to write, what they have inside of them and what they see outside. We write about life, trying to figure it out and, hopefully, come up with something of value and beauty that we can share with the reader along the way.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:20 -0400)

In 1943, in a seaside town where their family has gone to be safe from war, thirteen-year-old Max Carver and sister, fifteen-year-old Alicia, with new friend Roland, face off against an evil magician who is striving to complete a bargain made before he died.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,734,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible