Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James…

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories (original 1995; edition 2012)

by James Finn Garner

2,519443,492 (3.43)55
Member:Rosie_Skinner
Title:Politically Correct Bedtime Stories
Authors:James Finn Garner
Info:Souvenir Press (2012), Edition: Second edition, Hardcover, 112 pages

Politically Correct Bedtime Stories: Modern Tales for Our Life & Times by James Finn Garner (1995)

Recently added byDyingUmbrella, private library, Eddiemd, RempelHome, rmccrory, Stevie_Fieser, cgarland12, michellelarock, hyacinthos
Legacy LibrariesJack Layton

English (43)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (45)

Like a lot of people, I am dismayed that "political correctness" seems to have become a way of demonising the old-fashioned concept of civility. This book therefore could have been rather awful, but in fact it's not too bad - yeah, it's a bit of a one-joke book, but I think the satire is reasonably well-aimed and some of the stories are given rather better endings as a result. ( )
  nwhyte | Aug 21, 2018 |
When written in 1993 these were parodies with a deliberate ironic and satirical motive.
Now they are the daily news.
Sad. ( )
  librisissimo | Dec 4, 2017 |
This book is more for intelligent adults than small children. I throughly enjoyed reading through this and found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions. If you want a light read and can laugh at society and what it has become then you will really enjoy reading this. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
"Politically Correct Bedtime Stories: Modern Tales for Our Life & Times" is a collection of fairy tales published in 1994 wherein dwarves are vertically-abled, the three little pigs live in “mutual respect” and in harmony with their environment, and various princesses rage against the oppressive male power structure while saving their own selves, thank you very much. Very dated and not very funny. Meh. ( )
  thefirstalicat | May 22, 2017 |
It was nice to read a couple of these humorous tales before going to sleep. While I like trying to be sensitive to others, I do feel that as a culture we have taken Political Correctness a little too far -- so it is fun to joke about being overly PC!! Although this collection is good, my favorite fairy tales-remake is the author's "Tea Party Fairy Tales." (Another enjoyable mindset to poke fun at!) ( )
  dewbertb | Mar 7, 2017 |

James Finn Garnerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Monzó, QuimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Monzó, QuimTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the Theater of the Bizarre,
including Pepe, Armando, Egon, Ted, Matteo, Nick, and Julietta; James Ghelkins, Jr, and Willie, Smitty, and Jocko
of the Teamsters Children's Puppet Theater;

and Others too numerous to mention.

To carol, for help and encouragement,
and to Lies, for everything.
When they were first written, the stories on which the following tales are based certainly served their purpose - to entrench the patriarchy, to estrange people from their own natural impulses, to demonize "evil" and to "reward" an "objective" "good."

Originally published in 1994, Politically Correct Bedtime Stories spent more than 60 weeks on the New York Times Bestseller list, eventually hitting the #1 spot. Also a best seller in Canada and Great Britain, it has been translated into more than 25 languages and adapted numberless times for stage and radio. According to the Times of London: “It is beautiful. It demolishes, in few but elegant words, a dozen kinds of silliness. It is better than I can possibly convey.”

Only one thing was wrong with the original edition – the number of innocent trees that gave up their lives to print it. Now, with this 100% tree-free edition, readers can enjoy these classic bedtime stories in up-to-date, aggressively progressive versions without guilt, especially if their e-readers are solar-powered.

From Cinderella rejecting unrealistic ideas of feminine beauty, to the Three Little Pigs arming themselves and overthrowing their imperialist wolf oppressors, all right-minded people will feel comfortable reading these enlightened versions to their little pre-adults.

Plus, this new edition contains the long-suppressed waterfowl classic, The Duckling That Was Judged on Its Persunal Merits and Not on Its Physical Appearance!

As a bonus (but at the risk of sounding elitist and exclusionary), the new electronic version also contains previously unpublished material: the updated nursery rhymes of “A Child’s Garden of Political Correctness”; the story “A Royal Revenge” (commissioned and broadcast by the British Broadcasting Corporation for Queen Elizabeth II’s Golden Jubilee in 2002); and the first chapter of James Finn Garner’s latest work, Honk Honk, My Darling: A Rex Koko, Private Clown Mystery.
[retrieved 9/27/2012 from Amazon.com]
"Fairy stories?" This term
could be misinterpreted.
Be more sensitive!

(jsweaver)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 002542730X, Hardcover)

James Finn Garner has taken 12 time-tested tales and retold them with the newfound sensitivity of our times. Here's a snippet from "Little Red Riding Hood":

The wolf said, "You know, my dear, it isn't safe for a little girl to walk through these woods alone."

Red Riding Hood said, "I find your sexist remark offensive in the extreme, but I will ignore it because of your traditional status as an outcast from society, the stress of which has caused you to develop your own, entirely valid, worldview. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way."

Leap into a fairy-tale world where trolls are "dirt-accomplished and odor-enhanced," witches are "kindness-impaired," and Cinderella wears a gown "woven of silk stolen from unsuspecting silkworms." We can only regret that Garner had to exclude "The Duckling That Was Judged on Its Personal Merits and Not on Its Physical Appearance" for space reasons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:52 -0400)

A humorous retelling of classic bedtime stories, such as Little Red Riding Hood and The Three Little Pigs, re-written to free them, according to the author, from the influences of "a flawed cultural past."

James Finn Garner is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,530,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible