Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Vampire Academy (edition 2007)

by Richelle Mead (Author)

Series: Vampire Academy (1)

Two years after a horrible incident made them run away, vampire princess Lissa and her guardian-in-training Rose are found and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy, where one focuses on mastering magic, the other on physical training, while both try to avoid the perils of gossip, cliques, gruesome pranks, and sinister plots.… (more)
Member:SaraLandess
Title:Vampire Academy
Authors:Richelle Mead (Author)
Info:Razorbill (2007), Edition: Later Printing, 352 pages

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Evernight by Claudia Gray (MisfitRhi)
    MisfitRhi: Both set at boarding schools and involve vampires.
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (RyitGrrl)
    RyitGrrl: Similarities between the romance aspect and the subtle shift of the vampire myth to allow for literary licence.
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (tooimpurenangel)
    The Awakening / The Struggle by L. J. Smith (tooimpurenangel)
    Hearts at Stake (Drake Chronicles, Book 1) by Alyxandra Harvey (TheLibraryhag)
    Insatiable by Meg Cabot (Books007)
    Books007: Insatiable reminded me alot of the Vampire Academy series...almost like an adult version of this series.
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (gamermom2004)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (The_Book_Queen)
    Wuthering High by Cara Lockwood (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Another boarding school novel that I think would appeal to fans of this series.

English (327)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (330)
4.25* ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
Rating: 4.75/5

I can’t believe it took me years to read this book and I’m horrified that I passed on this awesomeness by reading crappy books, while Vampire Academy was collecting dust on my shelves for now 3 years.

Honestly, it was one of the most amazing books I’ve read in a long time, it makes all my five-ratings pale in comparison. Since I’m probably the last person on earth that has read the book, I’m going to skip the details about the story.

I was confused at first not knowing at all what Moroi, Strigoi and Dhampirs were, she started talking about them as if we knew well what the definition of each was, I was tempted to look it up but thank God it didn’t last long. Add the cryptic way Lissa and Rose were talking, the author kept me on edge trying to figure out what the heck they were hiding, their statements were always cut mid-sentence, so the mystery just kept growing and so was my engrossment with the story.

The friendship between Lissa the Royal Moroi princess and Rose her Guardian felt real and deep: the bond that tied them, while complicated, was based first of all on their unlikely closeness, they were so different from each other, total polar opposites: Rose is reckless and impulsive, flirty, very aware of her physique and “hotness”, a major kick-ass and super confident; Lissa on the other hand is cautious, careful, fragile, shy, not as strong as Rose which makes her vulnerable and very dependent on her, and yet they were best friends that couldn’t stand the thought of being separated and could do almost anything for each other. Like for example: running away together from St. Vladimir Academy for two years before getting caught by the guardians. Dragged back to the Academy, Rose is the one paying up, since Lissa is a vampire princess and the last of her line; enter Dimitri.

Dimitri…

It’s the first time that I read about the male protagonist in a YA book being over twenty, and somehow he makes me less guilty crushing on him than the seventeen years old boys (since I’m way past that age). He’s over 6’7’’, longish brown hairs, with a Russian accent and a killer body that fought enemies like a god. I liked his maturity, his calmness, he made Rose seem so childish and foolish next to him; he’s a man of few words, but when he speaks he says things that makes you week in the knees.

Their love affair was forbidden and taboo but not for the usual reasons you’ve read about, but simply because he’s her instructor, her teacher, not only it’s prohibited add the fact that they are both guardians of Lissa and that would wreck their careers and mess with their lives. It’s a new kind of forbidden for a fantasy YA book and yet a classic one and I liked it a lot since the tension was almost tangible between them, building up and building up very slowly and oh so deliciously…

I liked the characters more than the story, which in my opinion (now that I read the second book) is weaker and felt more like a first ground for the next books so it cost 0.25 from the rating.

I want to thank my dear bestie Ashwaq for all her cheering and encouragement and for pushing me to read the series. I love you sweety ( )
  Ash600 | Mar 19, 2021 |
I really liked this book...The story was captivating & Rose is exactly the type of character I like most: strong & with an attidute but loyal and protective to the people she cares about. I also like Christian but I'm still quite indifferent to Lissa...let's see how she'll do on the next book! ( )
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |
Okay, I actually love this cover and I want this version! I loved this series so much when it first came out, I should do a reread soon.

rjcrunden | Feb 2, 2021 |
Name: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead
Genre: YA, Supernatural, Drama, Romance
Summary:
Set in a world where vampires exist secretly along with the humans. There are more than one type of vampires in this book:
Moroi are the good mortal vampire. They need some blood for survival. They can control one of the five fundamental elements: Air, Water, Earth, Fire and Spirit.
When Moroi kills a human while feeding, they turn into Strigoi, the immortal vampires who are distinguished by their bright red iris and inhumanely pale skin. Strigoi's favourite prey is Moroi. And there's Dhampire, a hybrid of Vampire and Human, they have human's physical strength and moroi's magic in their blood. This makes them perfectly capable of protecting Moroi from Strigoi.
The protagonist is Rose Hathaway, a 17 year old Dhampire who is in hiding in the human world with her best friend, Lissa Dragomir, the last surviving member of the Royal family Dragomir. Rose has sworn to protect her best friend.
After two years of hiding, Rose and Lissa are captured and dragged back to St. Vladimir's Academy, a school for royal Moroi by a group of dhampires led by a Russian Guardian, Dimitri Belikov.
Return to St. Vladimir's Academy brings back old memories along with old enemies as well as new ones. Rose tries to return to her normal self, but is it easy when Lissa gets involved with the infamous Christian Ozera. What is her relation with the Shadow-kissed Anna? Will Rose be able to Lissa's secret and protect her friend, when there's someone conspiring against them.

I love Rose's personality, she's a badass, stubborn, wild, sarcastic as well as witty. She's always ready with a witty comeback. Vampire Academy is one of the two YA novels around Vampires that I really enjoyed along with the Vampire Diaries series. This is an amazing rollercoaster ride for the readers. This book will make you fall in love with YA Contemporary Romance, if you aren't already!! ( )
  Fatima_Anwar | Nov 30, 2020 |
For my urban fantasy grrrls, Jackie and Caitlin.
I felt her fear before I heard her screams.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,223,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible