Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1) by…

Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1) (edition 2007)

by Richelle Mead

Member:tyuiop159
Title:Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, Book 1)
Authors:Richelle Mead
Info:Razorbill (2007), Paperback, 332 pages
Rating:*****

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Evernight by Claudia Gray (MisfitRhi)
    MisfitRhi: Both set at boarding schools and involve vampires.
    Twilight / New Moon / Eclipse / Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (RyitGrrl)
    RyitGrrl: Similarities between the romance aspect and the subtle shift of the vampire myth to allow for literary licence.
    Glass Houses by Rachel Caine (tooimpurenangel)
    The Vampire Diaries: The Awakening and The Struggle by L. J. Smith (tooimpurenangel)
    Hearts at Stake (Drake Chronicles, Book 1) by Alyxandra Harvey (TheLibraryhag)
    Insatiable by Meg Cabot (Books007)
    Books007: Insatiable reminded me alot of the Vampire Academy series...almost like an adult version of this series.
    Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer (gamermom2004)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (The_Book_Queen)
    Wuthering High by Cara Lockwood (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: Another boarding school novel that I think would appeal to fans of this series.

English (310)  Spanish (3)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (315)
I had heard good things about this book and was really looking forward to reading it. I thought it was a good story. I liked Rose, the guardian in training. The bond she has with Lissa is really interesting. Lissa is being tormented throughout the book, and when we finally find out who is behind it, I was totally shocked. I never saw it coming.

For some reason, this book never really clicked with me. I liked it, and had fun reading it, but I just didn't think it was a great book. Having said that, I will probably read the next book in the series, to see if it gets more exciting. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I thought this was just going o be another Twilight story but it proved me wrong. I ended up loving Rose because if her personality and the way she would do anything to protect Lissa. I ending up falling in love with all of the characters and feeling that even though these "creatures" in the stories we hear are just like us but just have a "few" more extreme problems than we do.
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

#1 Vampire Academy - ★★★

It happened, people. I finally did it. I have officially read Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, and I have mixed feelings about it.

After years of you guys begging me to read this book, I have finally managed to dig into this vampire world with Lissa – the Moroi (mortal) vampire and Rose – her guardian, sworn to protect her.

These two best friends are on the run, after Lissa’s family has been killed. Now, they unwillingly return to the Vampire Academy, and try to live their normal lives, but danger is on their doorstep.
I loved the plot, and the idea of the world building, even though, I have to admit, I wish we had more pages of the Vampire Academy description. Or maybe this is just me screaming – ”I want a vampire Hogwarts description right here, right now!”

I loved their friendship, and I loved how both of them would sacrifice so much for each other. It is a character quality we rarely see, and it was so well delivered that it gave me shivers for a few scenes.

However, the characters themselves weren’t much likeable. Lissa, well, we hardly get to really know her. She is mostly a shadow of Rose’s opinions of herself. And as of Rose, as much as I admired her bravery and wisdom, sometimes she was just so dumb for her own good.

I loved the plot twists, and the cliffhangers, especially the few ones right at the very end, but it took so long for them to come. Despite that, this book was still such a fast read, and you can’t take your hands off it.

”For they (women) are strange and mysterious creatures,” he continued in his scholarly voice, ”and a man must be a mind reader if he ever wishes to make them happy.”

I wanted to not mention the romance bit of the novel, but I have to stay honest to myself and do it. Unrealistic romances will happen that will make you cringe. I won’t spoil it for you, but I happened to love these two people together, even though their so called love happened instantly.

”And sometimes, if I was really, really lucky, he’d smile at me. A real smile too – not the dry one that accompanied the sarcasm we tossed around so often.”

A typical high-school fantasy novel, with vampires included, this will be a great addition to your shelves if you love this genre. I greatly enjoyed it, but being older I think these things stuck a bit to me.

If you haven’t read this, I do recommend it. Even though it had a few weak points, I would definitely read the second book of the series.

Have you read Vampire Academy? Is it on your TBR? I would love to see what you think!

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest ( )
  InnahLovesYou | Apr 18, 2019 |
For a (very fluffy) young adult novel about vampires, this is pretty darn awesome! Mead is an excellent plotter, and I kind of love the main character. The setting/mythos is a little fanfiction-y, but she really carries it off rather well. I think I'd like to read more of this series. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
The first book is as good as always. I liked the short stories more than I thought I would, especially the Ozera story. I had read 'The Meeting' already on Richelle Meads website, I did hope that this would be a little longer than the one I had already read. 'The Meeting' and 'Hello, My Name is Rose Hathaway' were my favourites. ( )
  litetmonster | Jan 25, 2019 |
For my urban fantasy grrrls, Jackie and Caitlin.
I felt her fear before I heard her screams.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 159514174X, Paperback)

Join the Vampire Academy and Experience Augmented Reality. Click here and put your face on the cover of a best seller book. Are you tempted? Watch the book come to life with your likeness! St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger. . . .

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.

Watch a Video

Is your school a Vampire Academy? Take the quiz and find out!
Get the Spirit Bound Countdown widget and many other great free widgets at Widgetbox! Not seeing a widget? (More info)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:43 -0400)

Two years after a horrible incident made them run away, vampire princess Lissa and her guardian-in-training Rose are found and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy, where one focuses on mastering magic, the other on physical training, while both try to avoid the perils of gossip, cliques, gruesome pranks, and sinister plots.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,543,323 books! | Top bar: Always visible