Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

English (218)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (241)
Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.
  JESGalway | Feb 11, 2019 |
Robinson Crusoe 300
Review of the Modern Library paperback edition

I'm a little early, but I couldn't help notice that April 25, 2019 will be the 300th Anniversary of the first publication of Robinson Crusoe, which is also commonly considered the first English language novel. So it seemed like a good time to tick this off my 1001 Books bucket list.

This 2001 edition paperback from The Modern Library was remarkably easy to read even though it was only moderately edited from the 1719 original. The archaic spellings and run on sentences are left intact, but mercifully the archaic long "s" (which most would see as an f these days) has been changed to the now more common round "s". Some printings are labelled as having illustrations by Gerald McCann, but those are missing from this 9th printing that I have. It does have the Virginia Woolf introduction though.

Trivia Note
Speaking of archaic spellings, the "Oroonoque" river in the original long title, would now be commonly known as the Orinoco River in Venezuela.

Frontispiece and title page from the 1st edition of Robinson Crusoe, published April 25, 1719. Image: Wikimedia Commons ( )
  alanteder | Feb 8, 2019 |
My absolute favourite as a child ( )
  flydodofly | Dec 25, 2018 |
The classic tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. A man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps. The first edition credited the work's protagonist Robinson Crusoe as its author, leading many readers to believe he was a real person and the book a travelogue of true incidents. Such a cool book. It has been adapted into many movies and become the premise for many other stories.
  ghendel | Nov 28, 2018 |
I know this is supposed to be an important novel, but I feel that Defoe doesn't really understand things like, you know, pacing, putting some sort of urgency or conflict into the plot, or knowing when to NOT include multiple pages of how to domesticate goats or do some white European male moralizing. I wanted to like this, really I did, bit finishing this novel may have been my most grueling read so far. ( )
1 vote inescapableabby | Nov 28, 2018 |
A friend of mine, a Welsh blacksmith, was twenty-five years old and could neither read nor write, when he heard a chapter of Robinson read aloud in a farm kitchen. Up to that moment he had sat content, huddled in his ignorance, but he left that farm another man. There were day-dreams, it appeared, divine day-dreams, written and printed and bound, and to be bought for money and enjoyed at pleasure. Down he sat that day, painfully learned to read Welsh, and returned to borrow the book. It had been lost, nor could he find another copy but one that was in English. Down he sat once more, learned English, and at length, and with entire delight, read Robinson... It was the scene of Crusoe at the wreck, if I remember rightly, that so bewitched my blacksmith. Nor is the fact surprising. Every single article the castaway recovers from the hulk is “a joy for ever” to the man who reads of them. They are the things that should be found, and the bare enumeration stirs the blood.
added by SnootyBaronet | editCornhill Magazine, Robert Louis Stevenson

Crusoe has been called a kind of Protestant monk, and it is true that he turns the chance of his isolation into an anchorite’s career. The story is one of spiritual realization — almost half a lifetime spent on contemplation works profound changes, whatever the subject’s religion. We can watch Crusoe become, year by year, a better, wiser man... Robinson Crusoe may still be the greatest English novel. Surely it is written with a mastery that has never been surpassed. It is not only as convincing as real life. It is as deep and as superficial as direct experience itself.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSaturday Review of Literature, Kenneth Rexroth

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,486,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible