The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe…

The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

Series: The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1)

English (167)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (184)

Fascinating book both for its detailed subject matter and its insight into the mindset and culture of the late 17th and early 18th centuries. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
he waited 20-something years to meet Friday. the first teo chapters were packed with action and then he was alone on his island. turns out that u need at least two people in a story and to create conflict so that part was just slow for me to read. the last three chapters are packed again with lots of actions and people on the island. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Aug 15, 2014 |
In my eyes the only thing remarkable about this tale is the notion that it is purportedly one of the first English novels. It is an adventure story set in the 1600s about Englishman Robinson Crusoe's experiences as a sailor and his survival alone on an uninhabited island after surviving a ship wreck. While I found portions of the story captivating, too much of it is burdened with excrutiatingly detailed passages of Crusoe's life on the island. I learned some practical things about survival, and I found notable the themes of self preservation, human perseverence, and resourcefulness. It would be unfair to condemn the book too harshly for being a product of its time, which includes all the nastiness of European imperialism and the arrogance and prejudices that came with it, but I found the attitude toward the "savages" (oh, that would be the natives of South America) difficult to suffer and remain on the side of the story's protagonist. Defoe would have best served the novel had he omitted the detailed chapters that chronicled Crusoe's return journey through the Continent and instead concluded simply with his return to England.

Overall the novel is inconsistent in its pace and bores the reader with trivialities. The notion that Crusoe found a newfound faith in God on the island and proceeded directly thereafter to so gracelessly enslave a native isn't so much surprising as it is inadvertantly satirical.

Three stars only because of the historical significance of this, one of the first, novels in the English language. Otherwise, I would have given it two stars. ( )
  Misses_London | Aug 11, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Its account of a man's industry and occasionally outright boredom in the face of trying circumstances is inspiring and classic.
Honestly, if you dig too deep, there are a lot of uncomfortable themes about race, gender, and religion that might tarnish any fond childhood memories you have (I recommend the excellent essay "Robinson Crusoe and the Ethnic Sidekick").
To summarize, it's about a man who uses and possesses everything and everyone he sees. You can draw a lot of conclusions about sexism, white supremacy, and capitalism and you really wouldn't be too far off base.
While it's good to keep this in mind, you should also keep in mind that it's over three hundred years old. Not that this makes any of the enclosed sentiments any less awful, but the prevailing ideas of the time should at least be taken into account. ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 9, 2014 |
“It is never too late to be wise.”

No doubt like many others I knew this story from its techni-colour reincarnations but had actually never read the original so had no idea how Robinson Crusoe got to the island or even off it. As such felt that it was time that I put that right even if it was tough to get those versions out of my mind.

This book was originally published nearly 300 years ago in 1719 and is regarded as one of the first English novels, its even based on a true story but unfortunately for me it is showing the signs of age.

The book explores many issues including religion and colonialism and it was interesting that the first word that Crusoe teaches Friday is 'master' but the book is so top heavy with all the action being either at the beginning or the very end with little happening in between and despite living on the island for over 20 years on his own Crusoe never fully explored it which seems a bit of a stretch to put it mildly. It also seems amazing that the island was not visited by another human being for 20+ years given the ending when it seemed to suddenly appear on the tourist must to list.

On the whole I enjoyed the beginning and the end where it felt like a boy's own tale yet found the middle ponderous and disappointing which has affected my general opinion overall. ( )
  PilgrimJess | Aug 1, 2014 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:27 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,124,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible