dismiss

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

During one of his several adventurous voyages in the 1600s, an Englishman becomes the sole survivor of a shipwreck and lives for nearly thirty years on a deserted island.

English (228)  Spanish (8)  Dutch (5)  French (4)  Italian (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (251)
I just had to get in a classic this month and since I already had lined up a Lycanthropic version of this particular classic, I thought, "Hey! This is gonna be great!"

Cast away on a desert island... me and Mr. Friday sharing the same fate...

Yeah, well, it was certainly a fast and fun read, sharing all the usual things I have enjoyed from Tom Hanks, short stories of Stephen King, or any number of coolness from Lost.

Only, this is blunderbusses and goats. Cannibals and grateful captains. And such a pace of three decades in the space of a short novel. :)

Well! It sure is a popular idea! And redone about a million times, alas. Still, I'm glad to learn the origin of My Man Friday. :)

And for Halloween, seeing raven's corpses on poles. Muahahahaha ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
In 2015 The Guardian published a list of the 100 best novels published in English, listed in chronological order of publication. Under Covid inspired lockdown, I have taken up the challenge. Book 2 is Robinson Crusoe.
This book forms part of our shared culture - Robinson Crusoe is synonymous with being deserted/stranded; as Friday is the "footprint in the sand".
I read the book about 6 years ago, but I have a recollection that I read the first third, got the flavour, and skipped the balance! This time I gave the tome a little more generous attention.
After Pilgrim's Progress, it was a joy to read a book that much more closely resembles a modern novel. It's still a bit clunky, and Defoe wriggles and stretches to make the plot work, but it is recognisably a novel as we know it. The characters have more reality, the story is gripping, and the reader is along for the ride.
Of course, one notices the prejudices of the time - the "natives" are cannibals as a matter of course, and Friday, being black, steps immediately and permanently into the role of Crusoe's servant.
Good stuff. ( )
  mbmackay | May 2, 2020 |
La vida y las extrañas y sorprendentes aventuras de Robinsón Crusoe de York, marino
  LaBibliotecadeBabel | Mar 25, 2020 |
Contents: The life and adventures of Robinson Crusoe -- The farther adventures of Robinson Crusoe Replaces abridged ed. in Everyman's Library young people series (first publ. 1906) ( )
  ME_Dictionary | Mar 19, 2020 |
First of all, it was an interesting idea for a book. Stranded on tropical island with only what you can scavenge from his destroyed ship. However, the parts that dragged this down for me was the repetition. At one point he describes what he did for the first 4 years stranded on the island. He then proceeds to show his journal... which just describes what he did the first 4 years on the island again. Repeatedly get his mental thoughts on religion, which is fine the first time, but it goes on and on.

The book is not sensitive to current ideas about slavery and race, but it was written in the 1700's so can't fault it for it's time.

Overall, wasn't my favorite book. If you want a more modern take on the 'Man trapped on Island' story, I suggest The Martian. ( )
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
“Robinson Crusoe,” though, remains something truly special: It belongs in that small category of classics — others are “The Odyssey” and “Don Quixote” — that we feel we’ve read even if we haven’t. Retellings for children and illustrations, like those by N.C. Wyeth, have made its key scenes universally recognizable.... A classic is a book that generations have found worth returning to and arguing with. Vividly written, replete with paradoxes and troubling cultural attitudes, revealing a deep strain of supernaturalism beneath its realist surface, “Robinson Crusoe” is just such a classic and far more than a simple adventure story for kids.

A friend of mine, a Welsh blacksmith, was twenty-five years old and could neither read nor write, when he heard a chapter of Robinson read aloud in a farm kitchen. Up to that moment he had sat content, huddled in his ignorance, but he left that farm another man. There were day-dreams, it appeared, divine day-dreams, written and printed and bound, and to be bought for money and enjoyed at pleasure. Down he sat that day, painfully learned to read Welsh, and returned to borrow the book. It had been lost, nor could he find another copy but one that was in English. Down he sat once more, learned English, and at length, and with entire delight, read Robinson... It was the scene of Crusoe at the wreck, if I remember rightly, that so bewitched my blacksmith. Nor is the fact surprising. Every single article the castaway recovers from the hulk is “a joy for ever” to the man who reads of them. They are the things that should be found, and the bare enumeration stirs the blood.
added by SnootyBaronet | editCornhill Magazine, Robert Louis Stevenson

Crusoe has been called a kind of Protestant monk, and it is true that he turns the chance of his isolation into an anchorite’s career. The story is one of spiritual realization — almost half a lifetime spent on contemplation works profound changes, whatever the subject’s religion. We can watch Crusoe become, year by year, a better, wiser man... Robinson Crusoe may still be the greatest English novel. Surely it is written with a mastery that has never been surpassed. It is not only as convincing as real life. It is as deep and as superficial as direct experience itself.
added by SnootyBaronet | editSaturday Review of Literature, Kenneth Rexroth

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.

Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,636,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible