Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

13,707196153 (3.58)341

English (176)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (194)
I read this book in eighth grade cause it was worth more 'reading points' than some of the other books on the list. But when I first picked it up, it was a non-stop adventure and tale of survival that I absolutely adored. If you like survival classics like Lord of the Flies or Castaway, then this is a great read as well. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
There's so much more in this novel than has come into the culture. It's essentially about sin and slavery. So Crusoe disobeys his father and is cast into slavery. After he escapes he sets about enslaving others and is cast away on the island, into a sort of slavery to himself, where he can never do anything for anyone else. And for all that he takes to God, he can never be tested. Whatever his character faults, when he gets company he does take command with their agreement and it's only then that he can escape. Clever stuff, and it's also an exciting adventure story. ( )
  Lukerik | May 13, 2015 |
The story was interesting enough but not very realistic. Crusoe was a very shallow-minded British man who was able not only to survive nearly three decades alone on an island but teach himself all manner skilled trades, avoid being eaten by neighboring savages, acquire a faithful servant (slave), and raise a small fighting force against would-be pirates. He then is able to return back home to England with all the money he had saved (even though it had seemed useless to keep it for so long) and discovered that his business interests had been looked after in his absence with great success and he would now enjoy the fruits of someone else's labor; still with his slave in tow. ( )
  jimocracy | Apr 18, 2015 |
This is one of those books that is normally read in childhood that I just never got around to, that being said, I'm not sorry I skipped it as a child. I can't believe this book is considered a children's classic. It promotes slavery as a way of life, discusses lifestyles of cannibals, and overly promotes religion. I could over look all of those things given that the book was written in 1719, and would have been common conceptions, but seriously, this is the stuff of my childhood nightmares.

The author has Crusoe killing cats to keep the population down, drowning kittens, enslaving a man that he was obliged to save. It wont give me nightmares... But I can't say I've enjoyed this book. ( )
  jlsimon7 | Mar 1, 2015 |
The storyline of this novel is intriguing enough, but since the medium was so new, Defoe's writing leaves much to be desires. Crusoe's constant listing and mood swings are hard to get through after a while. ( )
  jwarbler | Feb 6, 2015 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,021,703 books! | Top bar: Always visible