The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe…

The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

Series: The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1)

English (169)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (186)
2008, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by John Lee

I’ve been wanting to read this classic, first published in 1719, for some time. It is in [1001 Books] and it is widely acknowledged at the first English novel.

Defoe presents readers with a fascinating scenario: the prolonged and intense solitude of Robinson Crusoe, shipwrecked on a deserted island. Crusoe’s grappling with his new existence is captivating. First, of course, he needs to learn how he will feed himself; but in time he develops a relationship with the natural world of the island which allows him not only to survive but to fashion a quite comfortable, if solitary, existence. And he develops a personal connection to God that is both rich and rewarding, where before his mishap, he had none. Crusoe’s encounters with the native islanders date the publication in terms of master/slave relations with the savages – and and I found it difficult not to squirm, reading from my twenty-first century chair (what’s more, I could not but notice that such relations are left absent from the most recent re-telling of Robinson Crusoe, the 2000 film Castaway.

Good read. Not one I will revisit, but one that is certainly worthwhile. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Aug 26, 2014 |
Although most readers are probably familiar with the story of Robinson Crusoe, I doubt many have read it - and they've missed out! Robinson Crusoe goes to sea against his father's wishes and lives to regret it. In spite of promptly being shipwrecked he goes again, and finds himself enslaved by the Moors for a year before escaping. He ends up in Brazil and becomes a plantation owner before his greed gets the better of him and he once again ends up shipwrecked, this time on a small Caribbean island. Being the only survivor, he manages to save what he can from the shipwreck and builds a safe shelter. He plants crops, domesticates wild goats, and learns to be comfortable over the nearly 30 years he spends there, most of it alone. Much of the story is highly religious in nature as well, and he eventually develops a personal relationship with God.

I first read this story a little over 20 years ago and it's been a favorite ever since. Originally written and published in 1719, the language is from another time and therefore a bit more challenging - although it's usually considered a children's book, I don't think many children will find it an easy read. Adults, however, will find the style interesting and the story engrossing. I loved the way he meets the challenges of providing for himself, and his theological musings were interesting in today's politically-correct and frequently apathetic society. If I were to be cast away on a desert island I'd probably want this book with me, along with my other favorite castaway book, The Mysterious Island. This audio version is excellently done, and John Lee does a wonderful job. ( )

J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |

Fascinating book both for its detailed subject matter and its insight into the mindset and culture of the late 17th and early 18th centuries. ( )
  nwdavies | Aug 21, 2014 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:27 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

Four editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,890,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible