The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe…

The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

Series: The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1)

13,325193165 ()341

English (174)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (191)
The storyline of this novel is intriguing enough, but since the medium was so new, Defoe's writing leaves much to be desires. Crusoe's constant listing and mood swings are hard to get through after a while. ( )
  jwarbler | Feb 6, 2015 |
I found Robinson Crusoe to be a story much odder and more delightful than the book I already thought I knew, just by being alive. Everyone knows what happens in Robinson Crusoe without reading it, or thinks they do, and it made it less urgent to pick it up and read it for myself, but I'm so glad I did. Some of the things that surprised me:

1) the integration of slavery without judgment into the story (Crusoe himself is a slave for two years and in spite of this, after he escapes with a young boy in a boat and has many adventures with him, he blithely hands the boy back into slavery when they are rescued);

2) the sheer handiness of Crusoe (he is always, always making things, finding answers, trying, striving) and

3) the real and unexpectedly touching relationship he has with Friday.

Also, the language is beautiful. I prefer "Journal of a Plague Year" but both books have a vividness that makes them wonderful to read. ( )
  poingu | Jan 29, 2015 |
The first and still undefeated cast away story, the first book I ever finished reading, then immediately started again. With illustrations from many editions of the book, some very early. Great story, and a pretty nice, if modest edition. I should probably try to find a nicer edition, but I'm kind of attached to this one. ( )
  unclebob53703 | Jan 25, 2015 |
A very engaging read, primarily because it's so interesting to follow Robinson's "home improvements" over the years on the island. Abhorrent attitudes towards the "savages" of course. An incredible amount of religious propaganda which I didn't realise was in this book.
  supremumlimit | Jan 6, 2015 |
When Robinson Crusoe gets shipwrecked on an island, everything changes for him. Now stuck on the island of despair, Crusoe has to learn how to survive. Daniel Defoe’s classic survival novel has been the inspiration for many stories to come. Most people know the story so I won’t go into too much detail summarising the book.

Some may disagree but I found that Defoe set out to shatter the misconceptions that Europeans had towards colonialism. When Robinson Crusoe lands on the island he adopts colonialism, as it is familiar to him and the political nature he recognises. You see the progression of this social structure from when Crusoe first found himself on the island. He built his shelter, farmed the lands and hunted. Then when other people were introduced, the social order fell into place, putting himself as lord and master. Others like Friday and his father were slaves, but the Spaniard and the Englishmen were treated completely differently.

Another theme I noticed while reading Robinson Crusoe was the idea of isolation; this was portrayed in a literal sense. Stuck on the island, Crusoe had so much time on his hand he spends it contemplating society, religion, politics and the world. What was interesting to note is the fact that there was no real mention of women in the book; there were some but none played a significant role. This detail is something I spent a lot of time contemplating, it felt like with all his reflections, women never were an important part of the world. I’m not sure what Defoe meant by this but I’m sure it is something worth investigating.

I found Robinson Crusoe fascinating; I was studying it for university so I had to look at what Daniel Defoe was trying to say about colonialism. However there is something that really annoyed me about the book and that is the way the writing style kept changing. It felt like Defoe wasn’t sure how he was writing the novel, switching between diary entries and first person narrative. It didn’t feel intentional just changing whenever it suited him and that, in turn, just felt sloppy.

Robinson Crusoe isn’t a great book; I’m glad I read it but it just isn’t something I can praise. It wasn’t a problem with the themes or the style; it just focused too much on survival and missed opportunities to explore other topics. Sure, this is a classic and you have to give a book credit for staying around so long, but Robinson Crusoe just wasn’t for me.

This review originally appeared on my blog; http://literary-exploration.com/2014/02/10/robinson-crusoe-by-daniel-defoe/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Dec 3, 2014 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:27 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,681,397 books! | Top bar: Always visible