Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (1719)

by Daniel Defoe

14,124199147 (3.58)341

English (181)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  French (3)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (199)
One of my favorite classics as a child - I suppose because I felt so isolated back then. Defoe shows us that we are all victims of a shipwreck - stranded in the middle of the ocean called life. Faced with the struggle of Man against Nature, most of us would not cope as well as Defoe's hero. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
So boring. Very logn descriptions of farming and goat herding ont he desserted island put me to sleep. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
My first experience with Robinson Crusoe was a "Book & Recording" edition I enjoyed as a youngster (this one!:http://www.amazon.com/Robinson-Crusoe-Recording-Record-included/dp/B001H80OD2). Like many books adapted for the appetites of the younger set, the unexpurgated versions offer enjoyable surprises. In this instance: an excellent story, a non-fiction feel, identification and empathy with the adventurous survivor type, an interesting coda, and a well-told overall tale. If this is the first such work of fiction ever recorded, then this is an achievement in and of itself. As a fan of shows like "Man vs. Wild" and "Naked & Afraid," the book had resonance with me. The episode with the wolves at the end definitely called to mind the hallmark scene of Stephen King's "Wolves of the Calla." I wonder if Mr. King used that as inspiration. Defoe's version had almost as much good tension. On the 1,001 Books to Read Before You Die list, at 15 books in, this is my second favorite behind Don Quixote. ( )
  MartinBodek | Oct 21, 2015 |
  MartinBodek | Oct 21, 2015 |
I will say as a positive on this book that it is fairly well written. Yes it is extremely repetitive at times but then again it's the story of a man trapped on an island for almost 30 years. The best parts of the book are between when he's marooned and when Friday appears. The only interesting parts are Robinson describing his life on the island and surviving alone there. He is quite ingenuous. Still the later third of the book is nothing more than one racist speech after another with random moments of Robinson talking about something awesome he did which is both tedious and offensive. On top of everything Robinson has a nasty habit of animal abuse. He kills a lot of animals simple because he can and/or to show off his shooting ability. ( )
1 vote morwen04 | Oct 16, 2015 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,016,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible