Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (original 1719; edition 1979)

by Daniel Defoe, Pierre (color woodcuts) Falke (Illustrator)

Member:agmlll
Title:Robinson Crusoe
Authors:Daniel Defoe
Other authors:Pierre (color woodcuts) Falke (Illustrator)
Info:The Franklin Library (1979), Edition: First Edition Thus; First Printing, Hardcover, 355 pages

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719)

English (197)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  English (1)  Italian (1)  English (216)
Discussed in final.
  Viona1987 | Dec 5, 2016 |
I think if someone cleared this of about 95% of the religious/"moral" drivel, it would be a decent story. As it is, much of it is bogged down by his droning on about that. But the story itself was fairly interesting. Not really recommended unless you're simply a fan of the old classics, and/or like having that sort of thing shoved endlessly down your throat. ( )
  .Monkey. | Nov 16, 2016 |
I re-read this in preparation for reading Foe by Coetzee and it was much as I remember it. Oddly touching and irritating at the same time, Crusoe both has the paternalism of his time but a sensitivity as well to his relationship to the 'savages' that come to the island. What continues to interest me is the way he creates a microcosm of the culture he left behind. ( )
1 vote laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
After the main character in THE MOONSTONE mentioned this as his Bible so frequently, I decided to re-read it
since little remained in my memory except the title.

While it may be a "Classic," it is mostly that only in the telling of surviving against great odds.

When Robinson ends up being the only survivor of a shipwreck (whose direction he insisted on
and for which he feels no guilt), readers are drawn into his methods.

The moral dilemma is that he is an unrepentant slave owner who was "...bound to the coast of Guinea, for negroes."

Thus, while his ideas are ingenious, we keep hoping that the tons of Bible reading and spiritual conversions he drones on about will
bring an awareness or compassion for his fellow humans.

This never happens despite the eventual master/servant friendship with darker skinned Friday and that Robinson spent two years
himself as a slave of the Moors.

His senseless killing of many wild animals not for food also makes this less than compelling reading for anyone who cares about animals.

And, what happened to Friday's dad? ( )
  m.belljackson | Nov 9, 2016 |
I was amazed when I read of Crusoe's conversion in this book. The children's illustrated classic that I had read as a child contained nothing of this (if I remember correctly). That part was very good. However, it seems as though he still maintains personal ethnic superiority throughout his and even after his return to civilization. Therefore, it probably would not be well accepted in its entirety in this modern society. ( )
  LeviDeatrick | Oct 6, 2016 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
This is a retelling by James Baldwin of Robinson Crusoe, not the original book.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,730,336 books! | Top bar: Always visible