Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (original 1719; edition 1979)

by Daniel Defoe, Pierre (color woodcuts) Falke (Illustrator)

Member:agmlll
Title:Robinson Crusoe
Authors:Daniel Defoe
Other authors:Pierre (color woodcuts) Falke (Illustrator)
Info:The Franklin Library (1979), Edition: First Edition Thus; First Printing, Hardcover, 355 pages

Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719)

English (199)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (5)  French (4)  Danish (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (1)  Italian (1)  All (218)
classics
  desertbloomlibrary | Dec 18, 2016 |
This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer Title: Robinson Crusoe Series: ----- Author: Daniel Defoe Rating: 3.5 of 5 Stars Genre: Classic Pages: 271 Synopsis: Robinson Crusoe, young and affluent, completely spurns the advice of his father and becomes a sailor and has various mishaps before being wrecked on a deserted island. Survives on the Island for many years, finally gets rescued, becomes rich and then the book ends. My Thoughts: I read this book on my phone, so this was a filler when I only had a couple of minutes to read at a time. I did not like Crusoe in the beginning of the book. He was young, arrogant and senseless. His actions were selfish, short sighted and in many cases just plain stupid. However, once he was marooned on the island, he began to grow up and become someone with some sense. Once he got off the island, he seemed to slip back into being a stupid man again. The book ends with his wife being dead and him deciding to head off to Brazil again and no mention of their children is made. Just boom, no wife, off he goes to adventure. The other thing that bugged me was that Crusoe kept blaming his bad habits on fate, destiny, etc instead of taking responsibility for his own ass decisions. I can see why this is a classic. A story of survival in the worst of circumstances and eventual rescue and riches. I doubt I'll read this again though. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Discussed in final.
  Viona1987 | Dec 5, 2016 |
I think if someone cleared this of about 95% of the religious/"moral" drivel, it would be a decent story. As it is, much of it is bogged down by his droning on about that. But the story itself was fairly interesting. Not really recommended unless you're simply a fan of the old classics, and/or like having that sort of thing shoved endlessly down your throat. ( )
1 vote .Monkey. | Nov 16, 2016 |
I re-read this in preparation for reading Foe by Coetzee and it was much as I remember it. Oddly touching and irritating at the same time, Crusoe both has the paternalism of his time but a sensitivity as well to his relationship to the 'savages' that come to the island. What continues to interest me is the way he creates a microcosm of the culture he left behind. ( )
1 vote laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Is an adaptation of

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
This is a retelling by James Baldwin of Robinson Crusoe, not the original book.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:36 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 111,785,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible