Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

Robinson Crusoe (original 1719; edition 1979)

by Daniel Defoe, Pierre (color woodcuts) Falke (Illustrator)

13,220188166 (3.59)341
Member:agmlll
Title:Robinson Crusoe
Authors:Daniel Defoe
Other authors:Pierre (color woodcuts) Falke (Illustrator)
Info:The Franklin Library (1979), Edition: First Edition Thus; First Printing, Hardcover, 355 pages

The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe (1719)

English (170)  Dutch (5)  Spanish (4)  French (3)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (187)
When Robinson Crusoe gets shipwrecked on an island, everything changes for him. Now stuck on the island of despair, Crusoe has to learn how to survive. Daniel Defoe’s classic survival novel has been the inspiration for many stories to come. Most people know the story so I won’t go into too much detail summarising the book.

Some may disagree but I found that Defoe set out to shatter the misconceptions that Europeans had towards colonialism. When Robinson Crusoe lands on the island he adopts colonialism, as it is familiar to him and the political nature he recognises. You see the progression of this social structure from when Crusoe first found himself on the island. He built his shelter, farmed the lands and hunted. Then when other people were introduced, the social order fell into place, putting himself as lord and master. Others like Friday and his father were slaves, but the Spaniard and the Englishmen were treated completely differently.

Another theme I noticed while reading Robinson Crusoe was the idea of isolation; this was portrayed in a literal sense. Stuck on the island, Crusoe had so much time on his hand he spends it contemplating society, religion, politics and the world. What was interesting to note is the fact that there was no real mention of women in the book; there were some but none played a significant role. This detail is something I spent a lot of time contemplating, it felt like with all his reflections, women never were an important part of the world. I’m not sure what Defoe meant by this but I’m sure it is something worth investigating.

I found Robinson Crusoe fascinating; I was studying it for university so I had to look at what Daniel Defoe was trying to say about colonialism. However there is something that really annoyed me about the book and that is the way the writing style kept changing. It felt like Defoe wasn’t sure how he was writing the novel, switching between diary entries and first person narrative. It didn’t feel intentional just changing whenever it suited him and that, in turn, just felt sloppy.

Robinson Crusoe isn’t a great book; I’m glad I read it but it just isn’t something I can praise. It wasn’t a problem with the themes or the style; it just focused too much on survival and missed opportunities to explore other topics. Sure, this is a classic and you have to give a book credit for staying around so long, but Robinson Crusoe just wasn’t for me.

This review originally appeared on my blog; http://literary-exploration.com/2014/02/10/robinson-crusoe-by-daniel-defoe/ ( )
  knowledge_lost | Dec 3, 2014 |
Robinson Crusoe
Bryan O'Keeffe

I found this old collection of children's stories and this book came from that collection. I have read Robinson Crusoe before and know of the story but never really understood the story as a child. Going back and reading this story as an adult has really made me love this story all over again. I love the story of travel and being adventurous and getting stranded on an island for years. It is the classic survivor tale in its glory. The version I read was super condensed for the child at the turn of the 20th century. The story was really easy to read and was written really well and had a very quick flow to it. I enjoyed the fact that Robinson has always seemed like a realistic figure who was a pioneer for America. He felt like he belonged in the age of Lewis & Clark discovering new land. The best thing about this book was the antique looking illustrations. They went along with the others in this collection that I had read and are by far my favorite style of illustrations in a book yet. They are very bold in color with only a few colors per illustration. They fit the condensed form of the story very well. I would recommend this book to and reader.
1 vote bokeef2 | Nov 22, 2014 |
2008, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by John Lee

I’ve been wanting to read this classic, first published in 1719, for some time. It is in [1001 Books] and it is widely acknowledged at the first English novel.

Defoe presents readers with a fascinating scenario: the prolonged and intense solitude of Robinson Crusoe, shipwrecked on a deserted island. Crusoe’s grappling with his new existence is captivating. First, of course, he needs to learn how he will feed himself; but in time he develops a relationship with the natural world of the island which allows him not only to survive but to fashion a quite comfortable, if solitary, existence. And he develops a personal connection to God that is both rich and rewarding, where before his mishap, he had none. Crusoe’s encounters with the native islanders date the publication in terms of master/slave relations with the savages – and and I found it difficult not to squirm, reading from my twenty-first century chair (what’s more, I could not but notice that such relations are left absent from the most recent re-telling of Robinson Crusoe, the 2000 film Castaway.

Good read. Not one I will revisit, but one that is certainly worthwhile. ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Aug 26, 2014 |
Although most readers are probably familiar with the story of Robinson Crusoe, I doubt many have read it - and they've missed out! Robinson Crusoe goes to sea against his father's wishes and lives to regret it. In spite of promptly being shipwrecked he goes again, and finds himself enslaved by the Moors for a year before escaping. He ends up in Brazil and becomes a plantation owner before his greed gets the better of him and he once again ends up shipwrecked, this time on a small Caribbean island. Being the only survivor, he manages to save what he can from the shipwreck and builds a safe shelter. He plants crops, domesticates wild goats, and learns to be comfortable over the nearly 30 years he spends there, most of it alone. Much of the story is highly religious in nature as well, and he eventually develops a personal relationship with God.

I first read this story a little over 20 years ago and it's been a favorite ever since. Originally written and published in 1719, the language is from another time and therefore a bit more challenging - although it's usually considered a children's book, I don't think many children will find it an easy read. Adults, however, will find the style interesting and the story engrossing. I loved the way he meets the challenges of providing for himself, and his theological musings were interesting in today's politically-correct and frequently apathetic society. If I were to be cast away on a desert island I'd probably want this book with me, along with my other favorite castaway book, The Mysterious Island. This audio version is excellently done, and John Lee does a wonderful job. ( )
  J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |

J.Green | Aug 26, 2014 |
Defoe Complicates Ethics in Early Novels: Developing Moral Tolerance in 18th C. London

Defoe, Danielprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

"I was born in the year 1632, in the city of York, of a good family, though not of that country, my father being a foreigner of Bremen, who settled first at Hull: he got a good estate by merchandise, and leaving off his trade, lived afterward at York, from whence he had married my mother, whose relations were named Robinson, a very good family in that country, and from whom I was called Robinson Kreutznaer; but, by the usual corruption of words in England, we are now called, nay, we call ourselves, and write our name Crusoe, and so my companions always called me.
Robinson Crusoe, the highly acclaimed novel by Daniel Defoe, is a literary classic which is enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story deals with the life of a middle-class Englishman who forsakes convention to pursue his ambition to go to sea. After surviving capture by Turkish pirates and escaping from enslavement, he embarks on his pivotal voyage. The young Crusoe is shipwrecked on an island and for twenty-four years is a solitary castaway. Emerging from the background of a romantic adventure story is Defoe's exposition on isolation, self-reliance and companionship. Since 1719 this book has enticed an audience who, like Crusoe, long to be free from the constrictions of society.
Robinson Crusoe was interested in adventures and he wanted to spend his life on the adventure. One day one of his friends asked him if he wants to be sail...and then his story will begin.

Daniel Defoe relates the tale of an English sailor marooned on a desert island for nearly three decades. An ordinary man struggling to survive in extraordinary circumstances, Robinson Crusoe wrestles with fate and the nature of God. This edition features maps.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:27 -0400)

On a desolate tropical island, a shipwrecked British seaman tries to master his hostile environment and remain civilized.

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141439823, 0140367225, 014119510X, 0141199067

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible