Christmas In The Country (Scholastic…

Christmas In The Country (Scholastic Bookshelf) (2002)

by Cynthia Rylant

177None66,593 (4.18)None

Beautiful story and illustrations. A favorite of mine! ( )
  melaniehope | Jan 10, 2014 |
Christmas in the Country, written by Cynthia Rylant and illustrated by Diane Goode, tells a story about a young girl who lives with her grandparents in the country. She loves different things about each season, but she especially loves the winter season, namely because of Christmas. In the story, the family's Christmas traditions and rituals are shared in a comedic and entertaining way. I liked this book because it reminds me of what is great about the holiday season: family. One way I would use this text in my own classroom would be to discuss symbols. This book talks about each season and what they are represented by, so this would be a great book to use for symbol explanations and developing students own symbols. ( )
  AlissaNergaard | Nov 8, 2013 |
A little girl who lives with her grandparents in the country cannot await Christmas Eve. She helps her grandparents to prepare everything, decorate the tree and writes a note to Santa what she wishes for.
A very nice book that may satisfy children who cannot await Christmas and as we all can remember when being a child the time before Christmas seems to last forever. When reading this book you can literally feel the calm and tranquil atmosphere around Christmas and it hopefully will push aside the hectic and busy time we have to face at Christmas. ( )
  sabrina89 | Apr 22, 2013 |
The story reflects about different habits within an family living in an rural are. Especially nice are all the illustrations, made my black ink and watercolors. Normally, we are used to a family consisting of parents and one or two children. But this book is a little bit different. Probably the girl is living with her grandparents and her mother and father never appear in story. It might me interesting if students realize the fact that there are no parents involved in the story. ( )
  bhellmay | Apr 19, 2013 |
Great book to read to children when talking about what their traditions are for the holidays. Every year the little girl does the same traditions at her grandparents house where she lives. They decorate a christmas tree, go to church Christmas night and Christmas morning, then everyone comes over to eat. ( )
  emleonard | Feb 7, 2012 |
For Herb - C.R.

For Peter - D.G.
When I was a little girl, I lived with my grandparents in the country.

A young girl growing up in the country enjoys a simple but enchanting Christmas with her family. Boxes of homemade ornaments are brought out, and relatives gather for a delicious meal. This celebration of Christmas is as warm as a steaming mug of eggnog and as fresh as the season's first snowfall. (0-439-769850-X)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 043976985X, Paperback)

Let the Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the range of your child's experience--laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!
Category: Holiday

This loving celebration of Christmas is as fresh as the season's first snowfall, and as warm as a steaming mug of eggnog. A young girl growing up in the country enjoys a simple but enchanting Christmas with her family. Boxes of treasured homemade ornaments are brought out; an evergreen wreath brightens the front door; and relatives gather for a delicious meal. Captured here are the memorable holiday moments we cherish and remember-always.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:30 -0400)

A girl reflects on Christmas at her grandparents home in the country, with its fresh-cut tree, handmade ornaments, gifts from Santa, and special church services.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible