The Elephant Vanishes: Stories by Haruki…

The Elephant Vanishes: Stories (original 1985; edition 1994)

by Haruki Murakami

Title:The Elephant Vanishes: Stories
Authors:Haruki Murakami
Info:Vintage (1994), Paperback, 336 pages

The Elephant Vanishes by Haruki Murakami (1985)

English (44)  Dutch (2)  All languages (46)
The individual stories are a delight, almost to a one, but together they... there's just something about the collection that drained me, and not in a positive way. I had to really push to finish it - but, again, I don't think that has anything to do with the individual stories themselves. Although it does make me really believe that Murakami is a long-form writer more than he is a short story writer. His worlds should be luxuriated in like a bath, not briefly dipped into like a stone skipping across the surface of a pond.

More at RB: http://wp.me/pGVzJ-108 ( )
  drewsof | Sep 30, 2015 |
Apesar de ser o meu terceiro volume de Murakami, ainda não me sinto preparada para compreender a sua escrita. Bom, não é bem "compreender" no sentido de "interpretar", mas antes a criação de sentimentos controversos que nem eu própria sei analisar.

Se por um lado, alguns contos me deixaram horrorizada e chocada, outros foram interessantes e agradáveis. É-me estranho devorar estas páginas, uma após a outra, quando me deixam tão baralhada.

Talvez possa construir uma opinião mais concreta com os próximos volumes. ( )
  SaraVieira | May 5, 2015 |
This is a strong collection of stories, with as much of a narrative thread running through them as you get with Murakami. My favourite pieces are Sleep, which gave me a different view of life, Barn Burning, which was deliciously creepy, and The Dancing Dwarf, a horror in the mould of traditional Japanese fairy stories. These three really stuck in my mind, but all of the stories are good, exploring how changes in the world around us upset the fragile balance we're trying to maintain, and how that balance is only ever surface appearance. What goes on beneath is ancient and unchanging and solitary. ( )
  missizicks | Jan 4, 2015 |
Some stories are good some not so but Haruki Murakami is a brilliant brilliant story teller. He can make mundane stories interesting and day to day incidents exciting. There is good build up without any let down. Amazing read. ( )
  mausergem | Mar 10, 2014 |
Murakami's talents are well suited to the short story format. For the most part his work captures a profound but also gentle dislocation that I find quite comforting. There is, however, real terror lurking behind much of the quirkiness. ( )
  Brendan.H | Jul 21, 2013 |
Det är en ojämn samling, pärlor och bagateller om vartannat. När Murakami är som sämst är han tomt idisslande. När han är som bäst tar han sig in i ens huvud.
Murakamis uppsluppna kombination av noir och fantasy är svårartat beroendeframkallande.

Haruki Murakamiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Birnbaum, AlfredTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, JayTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Westerhoven, JacquesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Memory is like fiction; or else it’s fiction that’s like memory. This really came
home to me once I started writing fiction, that memory seemed like a kind of fiction,
or vice versa. Either way, no matter how hard you try to put everything neatly into
shape, the context wanders this way and that, until finally the context isn’t even there
anymore. You’re left with this pile of kittens lolling all over one another. Warm with
life, hopelessly unstable. “The Last Lawn of the Afternoon”

collection of short stories

With the same deadpan mania and genius for dislocation that he brought to his internationally acclaimed novels A Wild Sheep Chase and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Haruki Murakami makes this collection of stories a determined assault on the normal. A man sees his favorite elephant vanish into thin air; a newlywed couple suffers attacks of hunger that drive them to hold up a McDonald's in the middle of the night; and a young woman discovers that she has become irresistible to a little green monster who burrows up through her backyard.

By turns haunting and hilarious, The Elephant Vanishes is further proof of Murakami's ability to cross the border between separate realities -- and to come back bearing treasure.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Contains seventeen short fiction stories by Haruki Murakami about people whose lives veer off the path of normalcy.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,790,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible