Lost Boy by Linda Newbery

Lost Boy

by Linda Newbery

This is a ghost story. Sort of. The central character may or may not be haunted by a dead kid. It's hard to care- the characters are all stock, cut from cardboard. The plot is recycled, and the prose merely adequate. I was disappointed by this book, though I did finish it just in case I'd guessed the ending wrong. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
READ IT! You’ll love it. Plain and simple. It was nifty that there was more than one “lost boy.” I wasn’t expecting that. It was honest. The main character made no excuses and throughout the book I was on the edge of my seat. I was shocked – not at all what I expected. Great, how the dogs were tied into the story, and even with all the characters I was never confused. Also, I knew from the start that this book was more than just a simple story – it’s much more than that – it has more meaning. AHS/EK
  edspicer | Sep 21, 2009 |
This is something of a ghost story. Matt has moved to the Welsh book town of Hay on Wye, and is cycling one spring day when he realises he has misjudged his speed and the road and is about to career out in front of an oncoming landrover. He closes his eyes... and minutes later finds he is fine and indeed that no such landrover went past. What is more, he is by a roadside memorial to someone with his own initials.

The mystery deepens and issues of friendship, bullying, family, and grief are intertwined in an enchanting tale that is well worth the time spent reading it. ( )
  sirfurboy | Jun 3, 2009 |
Matt has a close brush with death when he is nearly run off the road by a van in the Welsh countryside. He is disturbed to see a cross nearby with his initials but learns through his 2 mates (Tig the school bully + minion) that there was a boy run over & killed on the same spot by a old man who still lives up the hill. Matt is drawn to uncover the mystery of what really happened and why the old man believes he is an incarnation of the dead boy. But the more he learns the more Matt suspects that Tig is out for a revenge that can only lead to a terrible result for the old man Wil and his beloved sheep dog.
  nicsreads | Apr 20, 2007 |

New house, new school, new friends–but Matt Lanchester knows it won’t all be that easy when he moves to the town of Hay-on-Wye. Almost as soon as he arrives, he is drawn into a mystery when he sees a roadside memorial marked by a little wooden cross with the initials M.L. carved into it. His initials! Then he meets Robbo and Tig and Old Wil Jones and his wife, Gwynnie. There’s history here and a well-kept village secret–and Matt is desperate to find out more.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:32 -0400)

After Matt moves to Hay-on-Wye in Wales, a boy his age who bears the same initials and was killed in a car accident many years earlier, appears to Matt.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,494,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible