The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell

The Alexandria Quartet (original 1962; edition 2005)

by Lawrence Durrell

1,257None6,279 (4.36)146
Member:museli
Title:The Alexandria Quartet
Authors:Lawrence Durrell
Info:Faber and Faber (2005), Paperback, 884 pages

The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell (1962)

Recently added bymhmr, ktmz, Clockpelter, PhilinDallas, JPDCompendium, private library, Tjerring, wluce12, Holly_85
Legacy LibrariesEvelyn Waugh , Lawrence Durrell
    Old Goriot by Honoré de Balzac (WSB7)
    WSB7: The exploration of the play between the book's characters and the "society" of a great old city is intersting in both works.
    Surveyor by G. W. Hawkes (wandering_star)
    wandering_star: Surveyor is also about how the ground can shift under your feet when you find out something new about someone.

English (13)  Spanish (1)  All languages (14)
Simply amazing. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful meditations on love, life, war, everything. The story of a group of people living in Alexandria just before World War II - but its so much more than that. Give yourself a few months and take your time - something I rarely, if ever, do - and soak up this book like a hot bath on a cool night. You will not be disappointed, I promise you.

REVIEWS (specific to the books):

Justine - Balthazar">http://wp.me/sGVzJ-justine
Balthazar
- Mountolive">http://wp.me/pGVzJ-g6
Mountolive
- Clea">http://wp.me/pGVzJ-gb
Clea
- http://wp.me/pGVzJ-gg ( )
  drewsof | Jul 9, 2013 |
I think this is where I gained an interest in urban planning. ( )
  dmarsh451 | Mar 31, 2013 |
Being a serial book-adulterer I have fallen into and wandered out of love with an amoral number of books - but I remain forever in thrall to the Alexandria Quartet.

Of course, I may change my mind in ten years. Let's just wait and see. ( )
  Scribble.Orca | Mar 31, 2013 |
Fantastisk berättelse, i fyra böcker, om kärlek och relationer i det tidiga 1900-talets Alexandria. Skeendena skildras först genom berättarens begränsade synvinkel och sedan i de andra böckerna tillkommer andra vinklar. Vi får följa berättaren, Darley, hans stora kärlek den gåtfulla Justine, läkaren Balthazar, den unge diplomaten Mountolive, konstnären Clea och människor runt dessa i tiden runt Första världskriget. En romansvit att läsa om och läsa om. Min mamma berättade om den när jag satt på hennes sängkant (hon berättade ofta vad hon läste när jag gick in för att säga godnatt och ofta dröjde mig kvar ett slag). Jag läste den första gången när jag var tjugo och gick på Hemslöjdens skola Sätergläntan i Dalarna. Jag sov i en allmogesäng från 1800-talet i en timrad stuga och Alexandriakvartetten var precis vad jag behövde för att inte kvävas i allt hemvävt och tovat. Andra gången var min dotter Alice nyfödd och jag läste medan jag låg och ammade. Tredje gången var när jag läste Biblioteks- och informationsvetenskap. Vid varje omläsning har något nytt hamnat på plats. Dags för omläsning. ( )
  LottaDB | Sep 9, 2012 |
One of my all-time favorite set of books. I still can feel the heat and mustiness of old Alexandria. A must read for everyone. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Jul 31, 2012 |
"JUSTINE" - I am accustoming myself to the idea of regarding every sexual act as a process in which four persons are involved.  We shall have a lot to discuss about that. - S. Freud: Letters

"BALTHAZAR" - The mirror sees the man as beautiful, the mirror loves the man; another mirror sees the man as frightful and hates him; and it is always the same being who produces the impressions. - Justine (D.A.F. de Sade)

"MOUNTOLIVE" - The dream dissipated, were one to recover one's commonsense mood, the thing would be of but mediocre import -- 'tis the story of mental wrong-doing.  Everyone knows very well and it offends no one.  But alas! one sometimes carries the thing a little further.  What, one dares wonder, what would not be the idea's realization if its mere abstract shape thus exalted has just so profoundly moved one?  The accursed reverie is vivified and its existence is a crime. - Justine (D.A.F. DE SADE)

"CLEA" - The Primary and most beautiful of Nature's qualities is motion, which agitates her at all times, but this motion is simply the perpetual consequence of crimes, it is conserved by means of crimes alone. - (D. A. F. de Sade)
"JUSTINE" - To Eve these memorials of her native city.

"BALTHAZAR" - To MY MOTHER these memorials of an unforgotten city

"MOUNTOLIVE" - A CLAUDE

"CLEA" - To MY FATHER
The sea is high again today, with a thrilling flush of wind.
"BALTHAZAR" - Landscape-toes: brown to bronze, steep skyline, low cloud, pearl ground with shadowed oyster and violet reflections.

"MOUNTOLIVE" - As a junior of exceptional promise, he had been sent to Egypt for a year in order to improve his Arabic and found himself attached to the High Commission as a sort of scribe to await his first diplomatic posting; but he was already conducting himself as a young secretary of legation, fully aware of the responsibilities of future office.

"CLEA" - The oranges were more plentiful than usual that year.

Consisting of Justine, Balthazar, Mountolive and Clea, The Alexandria Quartet explores the sexual and political intrigues of a group of expatriates in Egypt before and after the Second World War.

Legacy Library: Lawrence Durrell

Lawrence Durrell has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Lawrence Durrell's legacy profile.

See Lawrence Durrell's author page.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,472,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible