Die Kunst des Liebens (German Edition) by…

Die Kunst des Liebens (German Edition) (original 1956; edition 1980)

by Erich Fromm

Member:Andrea98
Title:Die Kunst des Liebens (German Edition)
Authors:Erich Fromm
Info:Ullstein Materialien (1980), Edition: Neu übersetzte Ausgabe, Paperback, 160 pages

The art of loving by Erich Fromm (1956)

Recently added byJdsalinas8, private library, j0el, reevo, insitelibrary, Paulakm1, rplinke, Hook24
Legacy LibrariesMarilyn Monroe, Sylvia Plath

English (8)  Spanish (5)  All languages (13)
Erich Fromm as a love therapist. Blunt statements about the barriers which society erects between its members and any possible achievement of any kind of love -- parental, brotherly, erotic, onanist, divine. They are all problemmatic.
  keylawk | Dec 30, 2012 |
This is the second in a set of three books that I bought about love. I was interested to hear what the world of psychology and philosophy had to say on the subject and this book did not disappoint despite it not being as good, I thought, as Conditions of Love by John Armstrong which I read in June.

Fromm was a German Jew who left Germany on the rise to power of the Nazi Party in the early 1930s. Ending up in New York, he continued his rise as one of the leading scholars in psychoanalysis. The Art of Loving was his most popular book and was first published in 1954.

Again, like Conditions of Love, Fromm states that love is not a feeling. He went further than I felt Armstrong did though in stating that love is a skill that should be developed through disciplines such as meditation, reflection and self-control. He draws a great deal from his reading of Eastern religions such as Christianity and Hinduism.

I think the most important aspect of his book which is often misunderstood, particularly in modern day Christianity, is the concept of self-love. He goes to some pains to argue that unless we make taking care of ourselves a priority, then we are unlikely to ever be able to love another as we are intended to. Along with his premise that love is a skill, he argues convincingly that unless we become mature and developed in our own characters, our ability to love will remain handicapped. I know this to be true in my own life and experience.

Like Armstrong, he soundly castigates the modern Austenesque misconception of love as a romantic ideal. I feel we really can’t hear this message enough these days and our literature has an appalling lack of the true reality of love as a willful commitment to the undeserving.

While Conditions of Love spoke more to the marital side of love in my life, Fromm spoke more to my love of God. The quotes below resonated so strongly with me especially with my experiences of knowing God and being with him so very intimately that questions of theology pale and become unimportant. I wish more of us could experience this, particular within my Christian circles. ( )
1 vote arukiyomi | Nov 25, 2011 |
The classic book that has helped hundreds of thousands of readers develop their hidden capacities for love.
  Saraswati_Library | Aug 24, 2010 |
  Saraswati_Library | Aug 24, 2010 |
Also as audio-book ( )
  RememberRemember | Feb 19, 2010 |

Erich Frommprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anshen Ruth NandaAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He who knows nothing, loves nothing. He who can do nothing understands nothing. He who understands nothing is worthless. But he who understands also loves, notices, sees.... The more knowledge is inherent in a thing, the greater the love.... Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the strawberries knows nothing about grapes. -- Paracelsus
Is love an art?

The fiftieth Anniversary Edition of the groundbreaking international bestseller that has shown millions of readers how to achieve rich, productive lives by developing their hidden capacities for love

Most people are unable to love on the only level that truly matters: love that is compounded of maturity, self-knowledge, and courage. As with every art, love demands practice and concentration, as well as genuine insight and understanding.

In his classic work, The Art of Loving, renowned psychoanalyst and social philosopher Erich Fromm explores love in all its aspects—not only romantic love, steeped in false conceptions and lofty expectations, but also brotherly love, erotic love, self-love, the love of God, and the love of parents for their children.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:27 -0400)

The psychologist explores the theory, meaning, and practice of love, as well as its significance in contemporary Western society.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,379,143 books! | Top bar: Always visible