Die Kunst des Liebens. by Erich Fromm

Die Kunst des Liebens. (original 1956; edition 1993)

by Erich Fromm, Erich Fromm (Author)

The psychologist explores the theory, meaning, and practice of love, as well as its significance in contemporary Western society.
Member:timoheuer
Title:Die Kunst des Liebens.
Authors:Erich Fromm
Other authors:Erich Fromm (Author)
Info:Ullstein Taschenbuchvlg. (1993), Ausgabe: Neuausgabe, Broschiert, 160 Seiten
Rating:****1/2
Tags:liebe, psychologie, sachbuch

The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm (1956)

English (14)  Spanish (6)  All languages (20)
earlier edition
  AlanBudreau | Apr 4, 2018 |
Fromm studied psychology so writing this book is not scientific. Loving has nothing to do with psychology. I did not buy this book. A male acquaintance had this book and lend it. The title of the book, the word "Art" followed by action verb like "loving," gives an impression of art of deception rather than love. If you make an art of doing something, that activity looks less authentic and more disingenuous. He lists characteristics a person should have in order to love someone - humility, integrity, discipline, etc. There are different types of love which I have heard of - love of country, love for your men aka brotherly love, Eros. For content, I give this book 3 out of 5. Fromm makes good points in what is loving someone and what is not. As a reader, I felt he did not put forth much effort into the book. For writing style, 2 out of 5. The language he uses lowers the quality of this book. The writing style makes me see this book as not edited enough. As a reader, I felt this was haphazardly or written in haste, rather than meticulously crafted and edified repeatedly. Maybe he did not have enough self-love to produce top quality for his own creative works? ( )
  majestic131 | Feb 25, 2018 |
2.5 stars. This started out with some really interesting insights that I agreed with, but then gradually went downhill. It was just really dated as a whole, and needs to be updated... ( )
  ReadandFindOut | Sep 23, 2017 |
One of the most important books ever written, there are some lines in this book that I probably need to go back and revisit again and again. I felt a bit disconnected reading about love with God. Fromm does not offer practical guidelines, but the values he talks about that define love are very much values that I wish to carry with me in life. ( )
1 vote Soulmuser | May 30, 2017 |
"The experience of separateness arouses anxiety; it is, indeed, the source of all anxiety."

This is the first work of contemporary philosophy that I've read and the assumptions are interesting. There's no attempt to define separateness, nor to prove that there is any other source of anxiety, but when I read that sentence and the argument that follows it, it rang my bell. Whether it's true or not in all its parts is almost irrelevant as it works for me. Lots of stuff just like this in this book. I would recommend it to other humans. ( )
2 vote Lukerik | Feb 23, 2016 |

Mickel, LiselotteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mordegaai, JakobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Treurniet, ArieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vinaø, JanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
He who knows nothing, loves nothing. He who can do nothing understands nothing. He who understands nothing is worthless. But he who understands also loves, notices, sees.... The more knowledge is inherent in a thing, the greater the love.... Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the strawberries knows nothing about grapes. -- Paracelsus
Is love an art?

Amare non significa possedere in maniera esclusiva, limitare la libertà del partner o escludersi dalla vita del mondo; al contrario l'amore può aprirsi all'intero universo, spalancando inattese prospettive. Un trattato sull'amore che insegna a sviluppare la propria personalità e raggiungere la pienezza affettiva.
(piopas)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,201,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible