The Collected Stories by Grace Paley

The Collected Stories (1994)

by Grace Paley

English (8)  Spanish (1)  All languages (9)
A distinctive voice--funny, with great rhythm. Probably not for everyone. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
Wow. I had no idea Grace Paley was so compelling. I'd always heard her name tossed around the Munro's and thought they had a similar in prose style. But they don't.

I particularly like her short shorts - puzzling and fireworky, slightly off-putting. ( )
  usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |

usefuljack | May 17, 2013 |
Grace Paley was a master when it came to dialogue and making simple acts of living into something larger. "The Little Girl" is one of the most disturbing yet perfectly crafted stories I've ever read. ( )
1 vote ShortStoryLover | Sep 25, 2011 |
No one can excel the power of Paley in her short stories for capturing vivid portraits of very different individuals at all stages in their lives. I am in awe of her. What a remarkable writer. Everyone should read these stories. Everyone should read at least one Paley story in high school. Hemingway, Fitzgerald -- sure. But Paley outshines them in that her stories have something that few of the canonical men do -- hope. ( )
1 vote DBake | Jan 27, 2010 |
It seems right to dedicate this collection to my friend Sybil Claiborne, my colleague in the Writing and Mother Trade. I visited her fifth-floor apartment on Barrow Street one day in 1957. There before my very eyes were her two husbands disappointed by the eggs. After that we talked and talked for nearly forty years. Then she died. Three days before that, she said slowly, with the delicacy of an unsatisfied person with only a dozen words left, Grace, the real question is – how are we to live our lives?
I noticed it first on my mother’s face, the rotten handwriting of time, scribbled up and down her cheeks, across her forehead back and forth--a child could read--it said old, old, old.

This reissue of Grace Paley’s classic collection—a finalist for the National Book Award—demonstrates her rich use of language as well as her extraordinary insight into and compassion for her characters, moving from the hilarious to the tragic and back again. Whether writing about the love (and conflict) between parents and children or between husband and wife, or about the struggles of aging single mothers or disheartened political organizers to make sense of the world, she brings the same unerring ear for the rhythm of life as it is actually lived.

The Collected Stories is a 1994 National Book Award Finalist for Fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:39 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,054,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible