Robert Ludlum's The Arctic Event by Robert…

Robert Ludlum's The Arctic Event (2007)

by Robert Ludlum (Creator), James H. Cobb

Series: Covert-One (7)

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
The Arctic Event is the 7th book in the Covert-One series and I have to say what started out 16 years ago rather cornily with the Hades Factor has turned into a rather good series. When Patrick Larkin took over writing with The Lazarus Vendetta the series found it's rhythm, quality improved and he continued that with The Moscow Vector.

Now with The Arctic Event James Cobb has taken over writing and it's every bit as good the prior two books, and miles ahead in quality of the initial books by Gayle Lynds.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series where Kyle Mills, one of my favourite authors, takes the reigns. Although it is a bit disappointing to see James Cobb didn't get the gig again as this book was excellent. ( )
  HenriMoreaux | Nov 8, 2016 |
A random photo taken in the wilds of the Canadian Arctic contained the image of an airplane, vintage WW II and apparently Russian. This image started a hastily arranged covert operation to seek out this airplane that had disappeared with its crew some fifty-years ago. The Russians and the United States government joined forces to find this wreckage and seek out what had happened to cause this crash and what cargo was aboard. Smith, a medical doctor with the US army is teamed with an old acquaintance, Randi Russell, a CIA operative, and Valentina (Val) Metrace, Professor of History, to become the Covert One team to go and investigate the wreckage.

The author of this is now on my list to read more. Very well done, exciting. Almost as good as the original Robert Ludlum books. It's almost like Ludlum is still with us. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I had high expectations about this book, since I like Ludlum's books in general.
This book however, did not really catch me. I had no urge to read the book to the end. I did that, but it is not a book that stays with me for a long time. To tell the thruth, I don't know the exact reason for that. Is it the story, is it the way of writing (or im my case, the translation) I can't tell you. It was just fairly predictable and I was disappointed by that. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This book is part of a series created by Robert Ludlum but written by James Cobb. Confusing isn't it? James Patterson does a similar thing by co-authoring many of his books now, but forgive me for being old fashioned, but if it's Robert Ludlum's series, shouldn't it have been written by him alone? I don't believe writers should continue to write a book series after an author's death.

Okay, now that's off my chest, let me tell you I enjoyed this book. Recommended by a family member, I struggled with the introduction as this is the first real 'spy' book I can remember reading, (Ludlum having of course written the 'Jason Bourne' series). Once the characters were established, I was off and running/reading.

I was easily swept away by the plot but had to groan at the old enemy of the US, Russia, playing the bad guys. It did fit well with the plot though and the setting in the arctic had me pulling my doona right up to my chin and feeling the cold. The 'Arctic Event' was exciting enough and I could easily see it being made into a film. ( )
  Carpe_Librum | Nov 30, 2010 |
A fast, enjoyable bit of action and intrigue in the tradition of Ludlum. Good for an enjoyable escape. ( )
  Porter26 | May 28, 2010 |

Ludlum, RobertCreatorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cobb, James H.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Kuipers, HugoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nothing lived on the island. Nothing could.
"The Arctic Event" is the same book as "Robert Ludlum's The Arctic Event"

On a remote island in the Canadian Arctic, researchers discover the wreckage of a mysterious World War II-era aircraft, a discovery that forces the Russian Federation into a shocking admission. The unmarked plane is a Soviet strategic bomber that disappeared with its crew more than fifty years ago while carrying two metric tons of weaponized anthrax.
Desperate to prevent a political and diplomatic firestorm, the U.S. president dispatches a Covert-One team led by Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith to the crash site. But others have reached the frigid, windswept island first, including an international arms dealer and his crew of vicious mercenaries. As for the Russians, they are lying: a second, even deadlier secret rests within the hulk of the lost bomber, a secret the Russians are willing to kill to protect. Trapped in a polar wilderness, Smith and his team find themselves fighting a savage war on two front--against an enemy they can see and another hiding within their own ranks.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:24 -0400)

A Covert-One team led by Lieutenant Colonel Jon Smith is dispatched to a site in the Canadian arctic where a Soviet bomber crashed more than fifty years ago, but they must deal with a vicious arms dealer who got there first as well as a weapon more deadly than the anthrax admittedly on board.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,571,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible