The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin

The Fire Next Time (1963)

by James Baldwin

Timeless, stirring, raw and honest. Laid out without misgivings. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  Feleciak | Apr 26, 2015 |
This was my first James Baldwin book. Although I enjoyed reading it, at times I wanted to put it down because I did not like or agree with what he was saying. I only finished it because I thought that he was a great writer and I wanted to see how the book would end. I like the way he ended the book and the thoughts that he shares with us within the last few pages. ( )
  LadyReadA | Mar 20, 2015 |
My copy of this profound short work is littered with flags but I feel inadequate to the task of writing a "review." Baldwin uses his childhood in Harlem in the 1940s and 50s as the springboard for an essay on the relations between African Americans and white Americans, racism and religion, and the fear they both instigate and assuage. He is an optimist at heart and his steady moral compass is clear. But he is also angry and tired. And while left unpersuaded by the Black Muslim perspective of the late 1950s, he seriously questions the assumption that society as constructed by white Americans is inherently desirable.

"I cannot accept the proposition that the four-hundred-year travail of the American Negro should result merely in his attainment of the present level of the American civilization. I am far from convinced that being released from the African witch doctor was worthwhile if I am now - in order to support the moral contradictions and the spiritual aridity of my life - expected to become dependent on the American psychiatrist. It is a bargain I refuse. The only thing white people have that black people need, or should want, is power...."

He questions everything, including the greater validity of the Christian religion. He exposes the propensity of all religions to use their dogma to justify the oppression of others and the obliteration of their cultural foundations. He does this without questioning the good intentions of missionaries or neighbors; rather, his charge is placed at the feet of larger society and powerful nations.

I admit that I was made uncomfortable by Baldwin's assertion that the fear aroused in white Americans by angry and nonconforming black Americans is fundamentally no different and arguably *less justified* than that terror instilled in black Americans through centuries of abduction, slavery, abuse, torture, and murder both individual and mass. His reasoning, though, rang deeply true. I found myself gently nudging myself to read without defensiveness: to acknowledge the privilege and power inherently attributed to me by virtue of being born white, and the vast chasm between my occasional discomfort growing up in the segregated South and the pervasive dread experienced by the Black citizens of our small town (for example). I was at least partly successful. I was probably helped by Baldwin's own compassion and optimism as well as his impeccable reasoning. Remembering that this book was published in 1962:

"In short, we, the black and the white, deeply need each other here if we are really to become a nation -- if we are really, that is, to achieve our identity, our maturity, as men and women. To create one nation has proved to be a hideously difficult task; there is certainly no need now to create two, one black and one white. But white men with far more political power than that possessed by the Nation of Islam movement have been advocating exactly this, in effect, for generations. If this sentiment is honored when it falls from the lips of Senator Byrd, then there is no reason it should not be honored when it falls from the lips of Malcolm X. And any Congressional committee willing to investigate the latter must also be willing to investigate the former. They are expressing exactly the same sentiments and represent exactly the same danger. There is absolutely no reason to believe that white people are better equipped to frame the laws by which I am governed than I am. It is entirely unacceptable that I should have no voice in the political affairs of my own country, for I am not a ward of America; I am one of the first Americans to arrive on these shores."

*The Fire Next Time*, Baldwin's exploration of the notion that "color is not a human or a personal reality; it is a political reality", is remarkable, readable, and poignant. I read a copy obtained from the public library but this is one to have in one's personal library, available to revisit again and again. ( )
4 vote EBT1002 | Sep 30, 2014 |
This short book describes the author’s life experiences growing up black in 1960s America. In clearly and carefully written prose the young man’s story unfolds through rebellion against his father; making life choices to avoid expectations—both bad and good; and the series of realizations that occur as maturity intervenes. The underlying message is that while many of the circumstances and reactions are common to adolescent males almost anywhere, the reality of racial difference in that place and time posed a much narrower range of choices, often with difficult and risky outcomes. Baldwin seems to have maintained enough self-awareness to have navigated some of the pitfalls successfully.
  JimPratt | May 1, 2014 |
I am not the first, nor will I be the last to exhort the writing of James Baldwin. His prose is profound and passionate at the same time. As a white woman, I, of course, felt uncomfortable and unsettled as well I should, as I read this. There is a solid thread of hope in the letter and the essay in this collection, which is what kept me reading. I can only hope that if he were writing to his nephew today, Baldwin would be able to see some change. ( )
  hemlokgang | Jan 3, 2014 |
"God gave Noah the rainbow sign,
No more water, the fire next time!"
for James

James

Luc James
Dear James:

I have begun this letter five times and torn it up five times.
Whoever debases others is debasing himself.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 067974472X, Paperback)

It's shocking how little has changed between the races in this country since 1963, when James Baldwin published this coolly impassioned plea to "end the racial nightmare." The Fire Next Time--even the title is beautiful, resonant, and incendiary. "Do I really want to be integrated into a burning house?" Baldwin demands, flicking aside the central race issue of his day and calling instead for full and shared acceptance of the fact that America is and always has been a multiracial society. Without this acceptance, he argues, the nation dooms itself to "sterility and decay" and to eventual destruction at the hands of the oppressed: "The Negroes of this country may never be able to rise to power, but they are very well placed indeed to precipitate chaos and ring down the curtain on the American dream."

Baldwin's seething insights and directives, so disturbing to the white liberals and black moderates of his day, have become the starting point for discussions of American race relations: that debasement and oppression of one people by another is "a recipe for murder"; that "color is not a human or a personal reality; it is a political reality"; that whites can only truly liberate themselves when they liberate blacks, indeed when they "become black" symbolically and spiritually; that blacks and whites "deeply need each other here" in order for America to realize its identity as a nation.

Yet despite its edgy tone and the strong undercurrent of violence, The Fire Next Time is ultimately a hopeful and healing essay. Baldwin ranges far in these hundred pages--from a memoir of his abortive teenage religious awakening in Harlem (an interesting commentary on his first novel Go Tell It on the Mountain) to a disturbing encounter with Nation of Islam founder Elijah Muhammad. But what binds it all together is the eloquence, intimacy, and controlled urgency of the voice. Baldwin clearly paid in sweat and shame for every word in this text. What's incredible is that he managed to keep his cool. --David Laskin

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:57 -0400)

Contains a letter to Baldwin's nephew on the 100th anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation. Also describes his childhood, views on Black Muslims, and his visions.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,174,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible