Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire by Bill…

Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire (edition 2007)

by Bill Willingham, James Jean, Mike Allred (Illustrator), Joelle Jones (Illustrator)

Series: Fables (9)

Member:-Eva-
Title:Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
Authors:Bill Willingham
Other authors:James Jean, Mike Allred (Illustrator), Joelle Jones (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2007), Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Your library, Hylla: K2d, Read in 2009, Read in 2012
Tags:american literature, fiction, graphic novel, based on folktales

Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire by Bill Willingham

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 9, 2014 |
As the plot thickens, it left me wanting to get on to the next volume! ( )
  LouisVillains | Mar 13, 2014 |
"Fables" can be hit and miss, and looking at the table of contents this looked to be one for the second category. Thankfully, I was mistaken.

The four-part "Sons Of Empire" Arc is basically a clever way to depict two massive battles, without there being actual consequences. Along the way more mythical characters are introduced (none of them frivolously), and in between the parts/chapters we get short slices of life from other Fables which lighten the mood.

You might be tempted to skip the Christmas tale, but it is quite amusing -- and on top of that it is part of the ongoing storyline. We then learn more about Bigby Wolf's father in the two-parter "Father And Son", and the book ends with a collection of short (one/two-page) illustrated answers to several readers' questions.

Yes, the story is fragmented, and clearly this volume spends more time talking about possible scenarios and setting up future plots, but in this volume it works. One minus point however is the artwork for "Father And Son" which is quite frankly below par. ( )
  Bert.Cielen | Oct 16, 2013 |
4/5

I liked this volume. Not as action-packed as the previous few but I loved the build up of the empire's plans for our world. Is it bad that frequently when I read evil plans to destroy our world I get really excited about them? ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
Still deeply in love with series. The pieces get better and better with each section. I love how morality and loyalty is turned on several sides and poked at in this storyline. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |

Loughridge, LeeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miranda, InakiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This volume marks my 20th anniversary as a professional comic artist, which seems like the perfect moment to thank those who were with me at the beginning. My old Stoke gang: Dribbs, Yok, Drew, Chris Ski and especially Shane Oakley and Matt Brooker. The Best of Friends. The Best of Times. This is also for Neil Gaiman. The Best of Best Men.

— Mark Buckingham
This volume is dedicated to Steve Graves, treasured old ghost.

— Bill Willingham
That summer there was a great fire in the restricted hills, northwest of the Imperial City.

"Pinocchio suffers seriously divided loyalties between his father, the evil Adversary, and his fellow Fable refugees in New York. Plus, Bigby Wolf reluctantly decides it's finally time to square accounts with his long-estranged father, the North Wind, and makes a journey with Snow White and their kids to find him" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,331,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible