Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire by Bill…

Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire (edition 2007)

by Bill Willingham

"Pinocchio suffers seriously divided loyalties between his father, the evil Adversary, and his fellow Fable refugees in New York. Plus, Bigby Wolf reluctantly decides it's finally time to square accounts with his long-estranged father, the North Wind, and makes a journey with Snow White and their kids to find him" -- from publisher's web site.… (more)
Member:sablebadger
Title:Fables Vol. 9: Sons of Empire
Authors:Bill Willingham
Info:Vertigo (2007), Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Comics

Fables, Vol. 9: Sons of Empire by Bill Willingham (Author)

This story sets up a lot of framework for what's coming - I haven't read ahead, I just know that 'Fables' has a very, very long way to go and I've gotten the hang of Willingham's foreshadowing.

The 'Sons of Empire' arc introduces readers to the Empire's plans for revenge on Fabletown and the potential conquest of the mundy world. Well, at least the first draft. Nothing will play out that way, it'll be worse. It also takes time to introduce a few new prominent players, most importantly Hansel, who's mania for witch-hunting got him exiled from Fabletown and makes him a perfect tool for the Empire.

'Father and Son' has Bigby and his father, the North Wind, come to an understanding. It's not much, but they're both still alive and on the same side.

There were some great extras, including an issue of short stories answering reader questions about minor characters and loose threads, and even an appearance from Santa Claus.

This series is phenomenal. I don't know when I'll get to the rest of it, but I'll keep my eyes open.

Fables

Next: 'The Good Prince'

Previous: 'Wolves' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Aug 21, 2019 |
Another amazing installment. After Bigby's blow to the Adversary, things go momentarily quiet. But really it's just the calm before the storm. Will this be all out war? Fabletown has been playing it smart but was Bigby's attack going too far? I also enjoyed the little side story about Snow White, Bigby, and the kids going back to the homelands to visit Bigby's estranged father as well as the short vignette's about reader's questions. Great fun! ( )
  ecataldi | Aug 1, 2018 |
Love, love, LOVE this graphic novel series. The art is amazing, and I love the mash up of different fairy tales and fables. In this volume the Homelands contingent continues their plans to destroy Fabletown, sprinkled with short stories of various characters. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
The series is picking up. Pinocchio's retort to Lumi's plan is a highlight. ( )
  amazedemon | Oct 15, 2016 |
This is a bit more like it, and for the first time, I appear to be reading the series I was expecting from Fables: there's a big council of villains in this volume, and - naturally - they come from different books and legends. (Special points for including L. Frank Baum's Nome King.) The Snow Queen's plan to destroy the Fables is remarkably OTT, but it is entertaining. Unfortunately, the second storyline, involving Bigby, Snow White, and their children visiting the North Wind, is hampered by weak art. However, in terms of writing, it's probably Willingham's strongest attempt at interpersonal relationships so far. ( )
  saroz | May 17, 2016 |

Loughridge, LeeIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Miranda, InakiIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pepoy, AndrewIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jean, JamesCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This volume marks my 20th anniversary as a professional comic artist, which seems like the perfect moment to thank those who were with me at the beginning. My old Stoke gang: Dribbs, Yok, Drew, Chris Ski and especially Shane Oakley and Matt Brooker. The Best of Friends. The Best of Times. This is also for Neil Gaiman. The Best of Best Men.

— Mark Buckingham
This volume is dedicated to Steve Graves, treasured old ghost.

— Bill Willingham
That summer there was a great fire in the restricted hills, northwest of the Imperial City.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible