Spring Flowers, Spring Frost by Ismail…

Spring Flowers, Spring Frost (2002)

by Ismail Kadare

To me, this novel is the Albanian version of "The more things change, the more they stay the same". Parallel storylines paint the picture of endless political corruption and life while accustomed to disappointment. I realised midway through this Kafkaesque tale, that I know nothing about Albania. So, I did some superficial research and it definitely gave me some elemental context from which I could glean minimal understanding of the references to historical figures and cultural myths. Overall, I think I missed to much to fully appreciate this novel. ( )
  hemlokgang | Mar 27, 2018 |
So I went looking for novels from countries I’d not read literature from before, and came up with this one. Kadare has won several international prizes, and been mooted as a Nobel laureate a number of times. Spring Flowers, Spring Frost is his eleventh book, and his entire oeuvre – of novels, at least – appears to have been translated into English. Mark Gurabardhi is an artist in the provincial town of B—– and, well, things happen. Beginning with a bank robbery. People also tell each other stories, and each chapter is followed by a counter-chapter which expands on that story, as if it were the plot of the novel (but the counter-chapters are not a single narrative). Some sections of the novel deal with the old Albanian mountain code of Kanun, blood vendettas that go back generations, so far no one remembers what they were actually about, and how they’re in danger of kicking off again now that Hoxha’s communist regime has collapsed. Much as I enjoyed Spring Flowers, Spring Frost, it didn’t blow me away. I’m glad I read it, but I doubt I’ll read anything else by Kadare. But at least I can cross Albania off the list. ( )
  iansales | Jun 22, 2017 |
3.5 stars. Reviews to follow soon ( )
  JenPrim | Jan 15, 2016 |
A gem of a novella that is very much enhanced by the use of Albanian folklore and shifting focus. The symbolism and structure are a bit heavy at times, but overall a thought provoking work. ( )
  albertgoldfain | Oct 19, 2013 |
Spring in an Albanian town; this seems to be a masculine town, where women are hidden. Themes in the novel are male and female, public and private, new and old. These all appear to be tensions within contemporary Albania; the myths of the past and progress and modernism clashing. ( )
  Tifi | Jun 25, 2010 |

Ismail Kadareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bellos, DavidTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 155970635X, Hardcover)

In a town at the foot of the northern Highlands, life goes on as always, but people are in a state of shock: a bank has been robbed, a sure sign of the Westernization of this backward Balkan land. Meanwhile, other strange events-such as the marriage of a girl and a snake-confirm that ancient legends still prevail. People are flocking from far and wide to search for a tunnel to the Secret State Archives, said to house records of crimes they may have committed. Some even claim the ghosts of former dictators Hoxha, Brezhnev, and Ulbricht-not to mention Oedipus-have been seen there. . . . Against this backdrop, a simple and sensual love story between a painter and a girl stands out as light against dark.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:42 -0400)

"In a small town at the foot of the northern highlands, life appears to go on as it always has, but people are in a state of shock. The robbery of a local bank is seen as a sign of modern times and of westernization in this backward Balkan land. At the same moment, the harsh blood-for-blood law of the mountain folk, the fearsome Kanun, like everything else forbidden under the fifty years of Communist rule, is emerging from hibernation." "Other strange things occur. Mysterious events that are two thousand years, two centuries, or even two years old reemerge in daily life. The marriage of a girl and a snake is not just a legend but a news item - a cyclical event recurring every few hundred years that is as much a part of the modern as of the ancient world." "In a desolate spot on the outskirts of the town, some people search for the entrance to a tunnel that is said to lead to the secret archives of the State. They're looking for evidence of their own crimes - or of hypothetical crimes they might have committed. People say that the ghostly likenesses of Hoxha, Brezhnev, Ulbricht, Thorez - and even Oedipus - have been seen lurking there."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Arcade Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Arcade Publishing.

Editions: 1611452309, 1611454735

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,959,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible