Sierra by Diane Siebert

Sierra (edition 1996)

by Diane Siebert, Wendell Minor (Illustrator)

Member:law2110
Title:Sierra
Authors:Diane Siebert
Other authors:Wendell Minor (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (1996), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:Poetry, Nature

Sierra (Trophy Picture Books) by Diane Siebert

"In this celebration of the American landscape, Siebert's measured verses convey the majesty of the mountain personified, Sierra herself. Minor's stunning acrylic paintings evoke the breathtaking beauty of his subject. There is a siren's-song quality to this lovely book and readers might well feel how tragically possible it is for us to love our wilderness to death."***SRC Quiz***
  law2110 | Jan 19, 2013 |
The story teller is the mountain. The mountain shares the beauty it observes everyday. The illustrations are breathtaking and makes you envious of the artist's abilities. Language may need detailed explanation for some kids to understand. The use of inferences and metaphors are well done without being tacky or cheesy.
  frances2791 | Aug 16, 2011 |
Sierra is book of poems that takes you through a mountains life and what it sees; all the animals that come and go and the chain of life that exists.

I adore this book. At first glance I didn’t think this book was going to be even a littler bit interesting but as I read and the story line unfolded I fell in love.

This book could be used in many ways; either as a poetry lesson or a science lesson about the geography of the mountains. The book could even be used as a science book involving the food chain and stressing the fact that everything is connected. ( )
  HollyRogers | Mar 23, 2011 |
This book of poems is about the Sierra Nevadas and the beauty of the mountainness nature and the animals that live there. The language used really brought that sense of being there for me and a sense of calmness. It reminded me of when I use to live in a mountain region so close to nature and its beauty. The illustrations were so picturesque of the poems. And it seemed like if you could you could frame the illustrations themselves. Very beautiful.

I really enjoyed reading the poems in this book. Like I said it just reminded me so much of when I use to live in a mountain region and made me wish I was back there in the mountains enjoying the beauty of it all. And the illustrations were awesome. It made me want to cut the pictures out and frame them.

I would probably use this in a 3rd or higher grade level for my classroom. I think it's a great example of not only seeing a free form style of poetry but that the language used to draw in emotions. I think I would also use it for art, as well. ( )
  NemaGuoladdle | Oct 16, 2010 |
Just like "Mojave" (another Diane Siebert book) "Sierra" is written in poetry and in the first "person". The first line of the book is "I am the mountain, tall and grand, and like a sentinel I stand". Siebert goes on from there and writes about the geology, weather, plants, and animals of the mountains which make the Sierra Nevada such a magical place. She ends the book by appealing to human beings to take care of the Sierra..."And what my course of life will be, depends on how man cares for me". The Wendell Minor paintings are beautiful and impressive. This is a book I like better each time I read it and I think my fourth graders will probably enjoy it just as much. ( )
  odonnell | Jul 10, 2010 |

"In this celebration of the American landscape, Siebert's measured verses convey the majesty of the mountain personified, Sierra herself. Minor's stunning acrylic paintings evoke the breathtaking beauty of his subject. There is a siren's-song quality to this lovely book [and] readers might well feel how tragically possible it is for us to love our wilderness to death." -- SLJ.

1992 Teachers' Choices (IRA)
Notable 1991 Children's Trade Books in Social Studies (NCSS/CBC)
Outstanding Science Trade Books for Children 1991 (NSTA/CBC)
John and Patricia Beatty Award (California Library Association)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:01 -0400)

One of the Sierra Mountains speaks of the beauty and timelessness of herself and her sister peaks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,657,288 books! | Top bar: Always visible