The History of the Church by Eusebius

The History of the Church

by Eusebius

English (20)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (22)
Eusebius's account is the only surviving historical record of the Church during its crucial first 300 years. Bishop Eusebius, a learned scholar who lived most of his life in Caesarea in Palestine, broke new ground in writing the History and provided a model for all later ecclesiastical historians. In tracing the history of the Church from the time of Christ to the Great Persecution at the beginning of the fourth century, and ending with the conversion of the Emperor Constantine, his aim was to show the purity and continuity of the doctrinal tradition of Christianity and its struggle against persecutors and heretics.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Aug 3, 2018 |
Eusebius is a scholar, I learnt a lot of new things from this book. I am encouraged by the Early Church fathers especially Origen. It seems that the Early Christians had to face internal threats (heresies), external threats (ridicule, persecution), this is simply too much to Handle but God blessed them. The persecutions in the Roman empire is appalling. There's depth details about persecution especially during Diocletian Era, I could not digest a lot. I wish the Christians today would read this and teach their children. All the Church fathers had written polemics, defended the Christian claims during their Era. The Questions today faced by the Church are nothing great compared to their Era. Overall, a Great book, Eusebius taught me how the Early Bishops were, they were scholars, preachers, philosophers.
  gottfried_leibniz | Apr 5, 2018 |

Louth, AndrewEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Radice, BettyEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, RowanForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williamson, G. A.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If Herodotus is the father of history, then Eusebius of Caesarea (c. A.D.260-339) is certainly the father of church history.
Introduction to the G. A. Williamson edition -- 'The only work of its kind, possessing a value to subsequent ages which belongs to no other uninspired work.'

"Could I do better than start from the beginning of the dispensation of our Saviour and Lord, Jesus the Christ of God?"

Bishop Eusebius (c. AD 260–339), a learned scholar who lived most of his life in Caesarea in Palestine, broke new ground in writing the History and provided a model for all later ecclesiastical historians. In tracing the history of the Church from the time of Christ to the Great Persecution at the beginning of the fourth century and ending with the conversion of the Emperor Constantine, his aim was to show the purity and continuity of the doctrinal tradition of Christianity and its struggle against persecutors and heretics, and he supported his account by extensive quotations from original sources.

This edition of G. A. Williamson’s clear, fluid translation is accompanied by an introduction by Andrew Louth discussing the life and works of Eusebius, together with notes, bibliography, map of the world of Eusebius and brief biographies of the figures who appear in the work.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:45 -0400)

Often called the "Father of Church History, " Eusebius recorded crucial information about the lives of Jesus' disciples, the development of the New Testament, Roman politics and the persecution of early Christians.

Kregel Academic & Ministry

2 editions of this book were published by Kregel Academic & Ministry.

Editions: 0825433282, 082543307X

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,550,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible