The Keeping Quilt by Patricia Polacco

The Keeping Quilt

by Patricia Polacco

the book is about how Ann's mother made her a quilt that represented who she was and where she came from. Ann was getting ready to move away when her mother made her a quilt to remember them by and her cultured back round as a parting gift. this book gives a little insight on Russian background and culture.
  emilyJohnston | Jun 10, 2019 |
In this beautifully illustrated story, the author tells her own families story of the quilt that has been passed down through generations. It begins when her great grandmother came to America from Russia and then passed down to each woman in the family. Each page is in black and white, the only color coming from the quilt which changes in tradition as it is passed down. It begins as a dress and babushka sewn together into a quilt, then becomes a tablecloth, it welcomes each new child into the family and is used as a cape when those children play as they grow up. It's beautiful to me that this sentimental family treasure is used so often and brings joy in many different circumstances. This quilt is knitted together through love and holds their family together as they lose loved ones and welcome new family members. This is a beautiful story that all should read. ( )
  tejennin | Feb 10, 2019 |
Polacco's book is about coping with homesickness at first then moves to traditions and family. Anna, who is from Russia and comes to America came with only her dress and babushka. When she grew out of it she was missing home so her family made a quilt from the fabric and it was used for many things. The family used it as a table cloth, blanket, and a wedding huppa. The quilt was passed down for many generations until it became worn and could no longer be used. Some members of the family decided to keep the tradition and make a new quilt which would be used for the same things. This book sends a great message to children reading and I think it is very touching. It can teach children that family heirlooms and traditions are precious and should be kept alive throughout each generation. ( )
  GrantHebert | Feb 6, 2019 |
The Keeping Quilt tracks the creation and use of the author's family quilt as it passes hands from generation to generation. The illustrations are primarily black and white with just a splash of color on each page, making it clear that the quilt is the star of this book. Over the course of the book we get glimpses of the Jewish traditions observed by this family and even how those traditions evolve over time. This book exemplifies the importance of family stories and traditions and the ties that bind us across generations. ( )
  adrouet | Jan 25, 2019 |
This is a wonderful book anyone can find joy or something in which to marvel. As a child I loved the patterns and bright colors drawing your eyes to the quilt, but as an adult I was able to appreciate the changes in family tradition as the quilt was handed down. Successive generations began their married lives under the quilt, wrapped their newborns, and repaired the quilt while elders lives ended with its familiar weight. I enjoyed the subtlety with which the author illustrated changing gender norms in Jewish marriage ceremonies and marveled at the movement in her figures. Such a lovely way to see the love of later family members in making a new quilt, traditions being passed on, and stories continuing through many generations. Highly recommend! ( )
  fsgiamba | Jan 23, 2019 |
Rabbi Rascoe
When my Great-Gramma Anna came to America, she wore the same thick overcoat and big boots she had worn for farm work. But her family weren't dirt farmers anymore. In New York City her father's work was hauling things on a wagon, and the rest of the family made artificial flowers all day.

"We will make a quilt to help us always remember home," Anna's mother said. "It will be like heaving the family in backhome Russia dance around us at night.

And so it was. From a basket of old clothes, Anna's babushka, Uncle Vladimir's shirt, Aunt Havalah's nightdress and an apron of Aunt Natasha's become The Keeping Quilt, passed along from mother to daughter for almost a century. For four generations the quilt is a Sabbath tablecloth, a wedding canopy, and a blanket that welcomes babies warmly into the world.

In strongly moving pictures that are as heartwarming as they are real, patricia Polacco tells the story of her own family, and the quilt that remains a symbol of their enduring love and faith.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:16 -0400)

A homemade quilt ties together the lives of four generations of an immigrant Jewish family, remaining a symbol of their enduring love and faith.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,422 books! | Top bar: Always visible