The playboy of the western world ; and,…

The playboy of the western world ; and, Riders to the sea (edition 1993)

by J. M. Synge, J. M. Synge

419443,600 (3.84)23
Two lyrical, beautifully crafted dramas set among the folk of the Aran Islands and western Irish coastlands. Reprinted from authoritative editions, complete with Synge's preface to The Playboy of the Western World. New introductory Note.
Member:mgeorgebrown89
Title:The playboy of the western world ; and, Riders to the sea
Authors:J. M. Synge
Other authors:J. M. Synge
Info:New York : Dover Publications, 1993.
Tags:unread-owned

The Playboy of the Western World and Riders to the Sea by John Millington Synge

kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
I doubt I'd fail to enjoy a good performance of this, but reading it was very tedious. I'm sure it would be different if Irish drama were an area of interest for me. I am interested in the French Canadian adaptation that another reviewer mentioned. ( )
  climbingtree | May 22, 2011 |
I didn't really know what to make of these plays. It probably didn't help that I read The Playboy of the Western World when I was sick. It's strange, and I'm not sure I can say much more than that, even after seeing a performance of it. There are bits that I liked, and there are bits that I didn't. The characters are all well-drawn, and I usually enjoyed their interactions. Which is a bit of an awful review, but there you go. Riders to the Sea, on the other hand, which tells the story of a family on the Aran Islands, is just too over-the-top to be effective. If men really died on the Aran Islands at that rate, there wouldn't be anyone left! Still has some chilling moments and great imagery, though.
  Stevil2001 | Mar 9, 2009 |
I remember having seen a French Canadian adaptation of this play in high school. Boy were we naive back then... not understanding a thing about literature. The play was indeed boring for us.

However, years later, I enjoyed reading this play for its use of comedy, local language and its meta-comment on playing roles (much more subtle than any Shakespeare). ( )
  anabellebf | Sep 9, 2007 |

John Millington Syngeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, PhilipEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This edition includes both Playboy of the Western World and Riders to the Sea. Do not combine it with editions that contain only one of the two plays.
Please do not combine with Playboy of Western World & Other Plays. Do not combine with the individual play Playboy of the Western World. Do not combine with the individual play Riders to the Sea.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,759,375 books! | Top bar: Always visible