The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van…

The Story of the Other Wise Man (edition 2012)

by Henry Van Dyke

Member:naylands
Title:The Story of the Other Wise Man
Authors:Henry Van Dyke
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 38 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Story of the Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke

I don't know how I missed this short novel/long short story until now. The legend was mentioned in a Christmas special I was watching and I searched it to see if there were more. I found this and I am so glad I did.

The version I read was the original one, transcribed through Project Gutenberg. It definitely shows its Victorian roots in its flowery language. I think sometimes I am a misplaced Victorian spinster, so I loved it. The descriptions transported me to an earlier time.

This is certainly a Christmas story and as such it does have a message, but it far transcends finding the baby Jesus. Would that we could all live the life Artaban lived. I did need a tissue at the end, but I get emotional easily.

Who would like it? Anyone who loves Christmas. It isn't that long and could easily be read to your family, should you wish to start a tradition. ( )
1 vote Jean_Sexton | Dec 26, 2016 |
This title is suitable for ages 4 to 8 years. Henry Van Dyke wrote "The Other Wise Man" in 1896, and since that time, this enduring classic has woven its mystical appeal for countless children and adults. Here Pamela Kennedy retells the story for the young reader, making it easy to understand, while retaining the magic of Van Dyke's words. Robert Barrett's rich oil paintings create a tapestry of colour that adds to the mystery of the ancient world.
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
I read this short book/story for a challenge "a book set during Christmas." But it turned out to have a deeper and really nice message :) ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
Poetically written parable of the other wise man who missed out on travelling with the wise men of scripture. Really nice ( )
  cbinstead | Dec 22, 2015 |
Can't say enough about this book. It is the truth about living a good, meaningful life. ( )
  mhatchett | Nov 15, 2015 |
Who seeks for heaven alone to save his soul
May keep the path, but will not reach the goal;
While he who walks in love may wander far,
Yet God will bring him where the blessed are.
In the days when Augustus Caesar was master of many kings and Herod reigned in Jerusalem, there lived in the city of Ecbatana, among the mountains of Persia, a certain man named Artaban, the Median.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 034531882X, Mass Market Paperback)

A cherished tale of the power of love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Because he is helping others, a fourth Wise Man delays journeying with the other Magi to see the newborn Jesus, but thirty-three years later he has an unusual opportunity to meet his Savior.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,319,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible