Day of Atonement: A Novel of the Maccabean…

Day of Atonement: A Novel of the Maccabean Revolt

by David deSilva

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book hard to get into at first. but I stuck with it and am glad i did. It is very insightful about the Maccabean period This is one book I will be reading again.
  starbritejan | Jun 6, 2016 |
Intertestamental period expert David Arthur deSilva deviates from his normal academic writing by penning a novel based on the Maccabean period. It's a period many Christians know little about although Jews have a feast to commemorate it. We see the high priest's brother becoming too involved in the Greek culture around him and allowing his faith to be watered down by it. We see some Jews who remain true to their heritage and who are persecuted for it, and others who give into the culture around them. This is a great and readable novel that will be appreciated by both Jews and Christians. My library received a copy of this in exchange for my review of the novel for a publication. A longer review will appear in a future issue of The Christian Librarian. ( )
  thornton37814 | Jan 22, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Like other reviewers, I was a bit frustrated by the writing style and number of characters at the beginning, but I am glad I stuck with it and finished. The story was very interesting and insightful not only about the period of the Maccabees, but also about the Bible in general.

One disappointment was that the author didn't include a more thorough afterward, giving a quick nonfiction overview of the Maccabean revolt, sources of information, where he deviated from historical records for the sake of the story, and what happened (or would have happened) after his story ends. Also a map of Jerusalem might have been helpful, though it wasn't necessary. ( )
  cej1027 | Nov 27, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like fiction that recounts specific components of the Bible (included in the "publicly released" version of the Bible, or not) without being an actual lecture/sermon. I think the nature of the source material lends itself to being seen as "preachy"... even when, as in this case, it is not.

We are shown what life might have been like in the times leading up to the Maccabean Revolt - of course there is no way to know how it would REALLY have been, but this version of that time period is as believable as any other.

I thought it was well-written and factually interesting... though it was a little bit on the "documentary" side. This is not a bad thing, as long as you know you're not getting an action novel. ( )
  crazybatcow | Sep 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Day of Atonement is a well written, clearly well-researched piece of historical fiction on the subject of the Maccabean Revolt.

Jerusalem is occupied by the Greeks. Some want to accept all that the Greeks have to offer - education, sports, architecture, commerce - and in exchange adopt a more relaxed 'live and let live' attitude to people of all faiths. Others are fiercely opposed to the Hellenization of the city at the expense of their relationship with G-d and the laws of the Torah. The story follows the lives of people on both sides as tensions and anger lead to all-out war.

I liked this book. I thought the emphasis was on the events leading up to the revolt rather than the revolt itself. There was a lot of attention paid to the details of clothing, the food, the homes, the Temple, which I liked. Unfortunately, I was disappointed in the character development. I sometimes didn't know who was who and had to go back in the book to remind myself. In the end I didn't really care about any of them.

This book is worth a read - but perhaps not necessarily a 'keeper'. ( )
  EvelynBernard | Sep 9, 2015 |

The personal stories of fourteen great women of God and their commitment to the cause of Christ.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:37 -0400)

In the blank pages between Malachi and Matthew, the course of an entire nation was changed . . .His brother, the high priest Honiah, enjoyed the authority of the high priesthood, and all important decisions needed his approval. But it was Jason who was shaping the future of Jerusalem and, with it, all Judea. He breathed in again, imagining that he could feel the wave of destiny impelling him forward toward his vision as he exhaled . . .The Greeks have taken over the world, but Jerusalem is still the same backwater city Jason has always known. He wants to help his hometown rise to a new age of prosperity and influence. If that means stretching the terms of the city's divine covenant, so be it. But how far is he willing to go to achieve Greek greatness for this Jewish city? It will take the willingness of a handful of Jews to die rather than violate the covenant in order to turn the tide back to God.Written by an internationally recognized expert in the period between the Testaments, Day of Atonement invites readers into Judea during the tumultuous years leading up to the Maccabean Revolt. It was this pivotal decade that reminded Jews of the centrality of the covenant to their national security and taught them that the covenant was worth dying for. The story is so foundational, it is still told every year at Hanukkah. The lessons learned during this turbulent time also shed light on just what was at stake in the ministry of Jesus, whose radical message seemed to threaten the covenant once again.Day of Atonement joins the perennially successful novels Pontius Pilate and The Flames of Rome by renowned historian Paul Maier on Kregel's premier list of captivating and historically accurate biblical novels.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

David deSilva's book Day of Atonement was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,269,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible