The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and…

The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944 (2007)

by Rick Atkinson

English (23)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (25)
Very well written, shines a light on the Italian Campaign. Provided me with more insight into what went on in the Italy. Well worth the read. ( )
  Philip100 | Oct 2, 2015 |
The second part of Atkinson's trilogy shifts to Italy. The location differs -- the quality of the writing and reporting do not. Amazing stuff. ( )
  VashonJim | Sep 6, 2015 |
Interesting details helped add color to this dark story of the war in Italy.I believe the author is ambivalent about the campaign. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
This is the second book in the Liberation Trilogy by Rick Atkinson. It picks up the story after the conclusion of the North Africa campaign and provides a thorough narrative of the events in Sicily and Italy, a crucial but often overlooked period of World War II. ( )
  proflinton | Sep 11, 2014 |
An excellent and somber look at the Italian campaign of WWII. Power plays, political aspirations, and overall incompetence again composed the death rattle of thousands of lives. Again the author does an excellent job of weaving the grand overview, the politicians, tacticians, and the dog faces on the ground into one flowing account. The book itself is hard to put down at times, and others hard to read given the circumstances and cost of living involved. Interesting also for me personally to read about the Sicilian landings and campaign that my Grandfather participated in with the 7th Army before heading to England with Patton and subsequently to France with the 3rd Army. Eye opening to say the least. ( )
  Luftwaffe_Flak | Feb 7, 2014 |
Muses, launch your song!
What kings were fired for war, what armies at their orders
thronged the plains?  What heroes sprang into bloom,
what weapons blazed, even in those days long ago,
in Italy's life-giving land?

-Virgil, The Aeneid
To John Sterling
She could be heard long before she was seen on that foggy Tuesday morning, May 11, 1943.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0805062890, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, November 2007: Topping a Pulitzer Prize-winning effort is tough; finding originality in a World War II narrative is even tougher. Yet Rick Atkinson accomplishes both with The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. His previous work, An Army at Dawn, won the 2003 Pulitzer in history, but Atkinson has managed to set the bar even higher with his second installment in "The Liberation Trilogy." He descends upon each battlefield with rich historical perspective, tactical analysis, and chilling frontline observations. Cocksure Hollywood bravado is sparse, as Atkinson depicts soldiers fighting for honor, not glory. "We did it because we could not bear the shame of being less than the man beside us," explains one soldier's diary. "We fought because he fought; we died because he died." The result is an incredible portrayal of the courage, sorrow, and determination that came to define our greatest generation. --Dave Callanan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:24 -0400)

The second volume in a trilogy chronicling the liberation of Europe during World War II focuses on the Allied campaigns in Sicily and Italy, detailing the bloody battles at Salerno, Anzio, and Monte Cassino, as well as the June 1944 liberation of Rome.… (more)

95 wanted2 pay6 pay

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,718,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible