The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mitch Albom

Member:cal8769
Title:The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 208 pages
Rating:*****

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (2003)

English (330)  Spanish (2)  Hungarian (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  All languages (337)
interesting idea ( )
  jodiesohl | Jun 25, 2016 |
Such a touching story! Nearly made me cry (in a good way!) and a fairly quick read! Another great work from Mitch Albom! ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Just awful. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Review: The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

This was an inspirational entertaining story yet very heartwarming with an interesting premise. The multifaceted main character and supporting characters add certain richness to the short story. Albom had a skill with interjecting common sense within combing and weaving the five episodes of importance to the main character’s life. Albom idea of heaven and God doesn’t portray on religion, but imagery with a very meaningful interpretation of what any reader wants to interrupt. I feel the connection with the five people highlights the relationships that we have with other people and reminds us that everyone’s life has significance and that we are all connected to one another for one reason or another. You may not have known the reason or person at a certain time in your life but somehow there is a connection.

Eddie’s character was an eighty-three year old white haired man, stocky with a short neck, a barrel chest, thick forearms and a faded Army tattoo on his right shoulder. Eddie was not a predominately happy man during his life. He had an up-and-down relationship with his father and he suffered a crippling injury during the war that left him with a limp. He had spent many years alone and lonely without a loving companionship and he worked in an amusement park as a maintenance man. He had always wanted to be an engineer, but that never worked out for him.

The story starts out in an unusual way. It’s begins one morning when Eddie is working at the amusement park and his death is counted down by hours, minutes, to seconds….A ride at the park malfunctions and Eddie is at the scene and tries to catch a small falling child…with his arms out, the last thing he remembers is the touch of fingertips of the little girl…and then everything goes black….Eddie never found out if he saved that little girl….

Now, Eddie story starts in a place between life and death to meet five people at different times before he can complete his eternal journey. The reader always knew when one of the episodes would begin because the author always started the scene on one of Eddie’s birthday‘s before meeting with one of the five people. They wanted to tell him something that carried a message with meaning and that challenged him to accept his life and himself so that he might enjoy peace and contentment in heaven. The final straw came at the end with the fifth person name Tala….little Tala made the book worthwhile to read….

Mitch Albom’s writing is simple yet affecting. The story was thought provoking. It made me feel and realize that even what we may view life as, might have an extraordinary impact on the lives of others….
  Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
I really enjoyed that this book shows how people effect one another and how they effect where people end up. I also liked how Eddie got to realize the meaning of his life and the good his life did for others, even when he didn't realize he was helping others. I don't believe in fate or destiny, but it is a nice thought that things happen to put us in a place where we are able to help others. I think this book has the subtle message that we can do this while alive too - to be aware of how we are affecting people (positively and negatively). A good read. ( )
  Kassilem | May 30, 2016 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.

This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.
Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786868716, Hardcover)

Part melodrama and part parable, Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven weaves together three stories, all told about the same man: 83-year-old Eddie, the head maintenance person at Ruby Point Amusement Park. As the novel opens, readers are told that Eddie, unsuspecting, is only minutes away from death as he goes about his typical business at the park. Albom then traces Eddie's world through his tragic final moments, his funeral, and the ensuing days as friends clean out his apartment and adjust to life without him. In alternating sections, Albom flashes back to Eddie's birthdays, telling his life story as a kind of progress report over candles and cake each year. And in the third and last thread of the novel, Albom follows Eddie into heaven where the maintenance man sequentially encounters five pivotal figures from his life (a la A Christmas Carol). Each person has been waiting for him in heaven, and, as Albom reveals, each life (and death) was woven into Eddie's own in ways he never suspected. Each soul has a story to tell, a secret to reveal, and a lesson to share. Through them Eddie understands the meaning of his own life even as his arrival brings closure to theirs.

Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:39 -0400)

Killed in a tragic accident, Eddie, an elderly man who believes that he had an uninspired life, awakens in the afterlife, where he discovers that heaven consists of having five people explain the meaning of one's life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,756,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible