Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Antony and Cleopatra: A Novel by Colleen…

Antony and Cleopatra: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Colleen McCullough, Davina Mock-Maniscalco (Designer)

Member:jimcripps
Title:Antony and Cleopatra: A Novel
Authors:Colleen McCullough
Other authors:Davina Mock-Maniscalco (Designer)
Info:Simon & Schuster (2007), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 576 pages
Tags:historical fiction, Egypt, Rome

Antony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough (2007)

English (21)  Spanish (1)  All languages (22)
A largely satisfying conclusion to McCullough's phenomenal historical fiction series, Masters of Rome, all of which are immensely educational and a true joy. I recommend them as often as I can. This last focuses on the post-civil-war triumvirate of Octavian, Mark Antony (+Cleopatra) and (the barely-mentioned) Lepidus. Well done, and thank you, Ms. McCullough! ( )
  ryner | Nov 28, 2018 |
Excellent portrayal of Mark Anthony and why he eventually lost to Octavian (Augustus Caesar) even though he started out with all the advantages. I do wonder if she is right that Cleopatra's meddling with Mark Anthony was the cause of his downfall. I think irregardless of Cleopatra Octavian was so superior in strategy that he eventually would have won anyway. I didfeel sorry for Caesarion, the child of Julius Caesar, who was executed by Octavian. ( )
  jerry-book | Jan 26, 2016 |
This is the first book I have read of this series. The author is well known for writing well-researched books, and this comes out in this case. At times one is a bit overwhelmed with the amount of detail.
However, I found that I got to know a lot more about the character of a number of people that to date I knew little more than by name and place in history: Octavian, Mark Antony, Cleopatra, Agrippa, Octavia, and Herod as well also Caesarion. Many more less familiar people are also given space to develop.
Most come across as normal human beings, some good, some bad. The situation of Caesarion was most interesting, although I suspect this is where most of the fiction occurs. ( )
  robeik | Jul 2, 2015 |
Oh. My. Goodnes. What a slog! I never once had any compassion or connection to a single character in this story, least of all Antony or Cleopatra. The only sympathetic character was Octavia. And the dozens of name for each character! And sooooo many characters!

The story is filled with interesting historical detail, almost to distraction at times. This is my first novel by Colleen McCullough, and I don't know if I'll read another. ( )
  dkhiggin | Jun 26, 2015 |
In this breathtaking follow-up to The October Horse, Colleen McCullough turns her attention to the legendary romance of Antony and Cleopatra, and in this timeless tale of love, politics, and power, proves once again that she is the best historical novelist of our time.

Caesar is dead, and Rome is, again, divided. Lepidus has retreated to Africa, while Antony rules the opulent East, and Octavian claims the West, the heart of Rome, as his domain.... ( )
  Tutter | Feb 27, 2015 |
For the unsinkable Anthony Cheetham

with love and enormous respect
Quintus Dellius was not a warlike man, nor a warrior when in battle.

Caesar is dead, and Rome is, again, divided.  Lepidus has retreated to Africa, while Antony rules the opulent East, and Octavian clims the West, the heart of Rome, as his domain.  Though this tense truce hold civil war at bay, Rome seems ripe for an emperor--a true Julian heir to lay claim to Caesar's legacy.  With the bearing of a hero, and the riches of the East at his disposal, Antony seems poised to take the prize.   Like a true warrior-king, he is a seasoned general whose lust for power burns alongside a passion for women, feasts, and Chian wine.   His rival, Octavian, seems a less convincing candidate: the slight, golden-haired boy is as controlled as Antony is impulsive.  Indeed, the two are matched only in ambition.

And though politics and war are decidely the provinces of men in ancient Rome, women are adept at using their wits and charms to gain influence outside their traditional sphere.  Cleopatra, the ruthless, golden-eyed queen, welcomes Antony to her court and her bed but keeps her heart well guarded.  A ruler first and a woman second, Cleopatra has but one desire: to place her child on his father's, Julius Caesar's, vacant throne.  Octavian, too, has a strong woman by his side: his exquisite wife, raven haired Livia Drusilla, who learns to wield quiet power to help her husband in his quest for ascendancy.   As the plot races toward its inevitable conclusion--with battles on land and sea--conspiracy and murder, love and politics become irrevocably entwined.  [adapted from the jacket]

Retells the story of Antony and Cleopatra from a meticulously researched perspective that features detailed historical and psychological details about the love affair that transformed the ancient world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,495,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible