Boys Against Girls by Phyllis Reynolds…

Boys Against Girls (1994)

by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

The Hatford brothers cannot imagine spending Thanksgiving dinner with the Malloy sisters as the practical jokes and rivalries between the two families continue. Sequel to "The Girls Get Even."

This one I grabbed specifically from a library sale for my Little Free Library. I didn't realize it was part of a series until I started reading it.

Here we have the third book in the "Boys versus Girls" series of stories between the Hatfords and the Malloys (clever, and I didn't even put the joke/reference together until the very end when the two family names were put side by side). The Hatford boys are at war with the Malloy girls, which leads to the constant back and forth between them. This particular episode involves a mysterious creature rumored to take small animals from the small town that's called an "abaguchie."

This was a very fun story, which has enough draw for both the girls and the boys out there. The chapters follow a back and forth between one of the Hatford boys and one of the Malloy girls, each having their own experience with the mysterious abaguchie that spurs on the rest of the kids.

Definitely a welcome story added to my Little Free Library. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Dec 9, 2015 |
Thoroughly and completely enjoyed this series, which I read to my daughters through Nov & Dec at bedtime. Love, love, love Phyllis Reynolds Naylor for elementary aged readers. Love, love, love this series for the Brady-bunch era of hijinx between children... Love, love, love that neither the boys nor the girls are clear-case winners of the "war", though, my daughters do believe there was a winner. Whole-heartedly recommend as a family read and to all elementary-aged readers. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
Summary: The Hartford boys and the Malloy girls are at it again in the third installment of the Boys vs. Girls series. The two protagonists in the story, Wally Hatford and Caroline Malloy, are each out to prove that one gender is more intelligent than the other. Through a series of pranks and tricks by both sides, the reader can decide for himself just who is smarter.

Personal Reaction: This series was my absolute favorite as a kid. Even reading them now they STILL make me laugh. I think this is a great book for any age group (K-6). The writing is simple and relateable and I think children will love the back and forth battle bewteen the boys and the girls.

Classroom Extension: In the book a mysterious creature called the "Abaguchie" has been spotted around town. Nobody knows for sure what it is. Some think it is a mountain lion while others believe it to be just a bobcat. I would have students draw a picture of what they think the abaguchie really is, as well as writing a short (made-up) story about where they saw it. Fopr example in their backyard or behind the grocery store.
  karlilov | Oct 24, 2012 |
this is a funny series about three girls who move across the street from four boys and they instantly decide to be enemies! you'll laugh out loud while you wait and see what pranks they'll pull on each other next!! ( )
  jfoster_sf | Mar 10, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,995,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible