The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

The Story of Ruby Bridges (1995)

by Robert Coles

For months six-year-old Ruby Bridges must confront the hostility of white parents when she becomes the first African American girl to integrate Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans in 1960.

$6.99
  CapitalCityPCS | Sep 20, 2019 |
I love the story of resilient Ruby Bridges. A 6 year old girl who becomes the first African-American child to, in 1960, integrate an all white elementary school in New Orleans, LA. I am not a fan of how the book ended just with her prayer that she said daily, yet I am grateful for the Afterword. The afterword does the wrap up I was hoping for. The author used point of view very well in that there was a narrator yet there were quotes from Ruby and her mother themselves. The tone of the book, though dealing with racial inequality, was very light and child-friendly. It truly made me feel like any child could have the courage to be Ruby Bridges. ( )
  Jmratlif | Sep 9, 2019 |
As a man, I never thought I would ever say this, but a tear streamed down my eye after reading this book. I don’t think I have enough vocabulary to describe this amazing woman. We take a lot of things for granted, however people had to fight hard and for long time for these things. Ruby Bridges built a bridge to a much brighter and better future for generation to come just wit dedication . She fought the whole world with nothing bit with a clean heart, and she definitely won. I won’t go into much detail about this amazing book. All I can say that i’m very fortunate that I read this book and learned about this amazing person. ( )
  saeedchaar | Apr 16, 2019 |
Ruby Bridges is an American civil rights activist. She desegregated William Frantz Elementary School in Louisiana in 1960. This book has many colorful illustrations that help students "explode the moment" and make connections with what was going on with Ruby. ( )
  gharot1 | Apr 8, 2019 |
This book tells the story of Ruby Bridges. She went to school during the civil rights movement. White and blacks were separated everywhere. But one day they had chosen 4 black girls to attend an all-white school. Ruby Bridges was one of them. It really broke my heart how bad the parents treated this little girl because of her color. I found it so ridiculous how people were so heartless back then. I could not believe when I got to the part of Ruby praying for the people hating her. She was only 6-year-old with the heart of Jesus. It was really inspiring to see how she always acted upon love even to her haters. This can encourage young readers to treat everyone kindly, even if they are mean. It can also bring knowledge to children on segregation and the civil rights movement. ( )
  cynthiahurtado | Feb 9, 2019 |

Coles, Robertprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ford, GeorgeIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This is the story of a young girl who is sent to new school because desegregation is taking place. Ruby Bridges finds this to be unfair, and has to go through many trials and tribulations to support her rights. Her strength and courage through it all is a great example for young children and introduces the idea of segregation through the eyes of a 6 year old.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,572,799 books! | Top bar: Always visible