The Story Of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

The Story Of Ruby Bridges (edition 1995)

by Robert Coles, George Ford (Illustrator)

Member:Jmoreeda
Title:The Story Of Ruby Bridges
Authors:Robert Coles
Other authors:George Ford (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:civil rights, desegregation, Ruby Bridges, New Orleans

The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

Ruby Bridges was selected among 4 other African American girls in New Orleans to attend two all white schools. Three were placed to McDonough 19 and Ruby was sent to William Frantz Elementary located in the ninth ward in New Orleans. Her story really digs deep on the topic of diversity. For weeks and months, Ruby Bridges was the only student to attend elementary school due to the other parents keeping their children from being around her. This did not stop Ruby. She showed up every day full of smiles and confidence. She was happy to be getting an education and making a difference. She even prayed twice a day for God to forgive the mob that wanted her gone. ( )
  jmistret | Jan 19, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book about Ruby Bridges. It reminds the reader of a chilling past time of segregation, and highlights one little poor black girl's journey as she chosen to attend a white school. Even through mobs of protesters stand out side of the school Ruby, holds her head up high and is not intimidated to attend class even if she sits alone in the classroom. Ruby teaches us a great lesson as she stops and prays for those who persecute her. This book also has an underlying moral that may be overlooked and that it just takes one person to inspire change. ( )
  JanaeCamardelle | Jan 18, 2016 |
When I was a kid, I read this book, and I liked it just as much then as I do now. I feel like this is a book that pushes readers to think about a tough issue in history, but I also really like how illustrations enhance the story and the author made the character believable even though it was a past event. This book pushes readers to think about desegregation and how it was received by the South, that we have had a tough history with race. The book does this by showing the point of view of desegregation by one of the first African-American children to be put into an all white school and how people reacted negatively to this. I also really liked how the illustrator made the illustrations, as I felt like I was in the actual story. He did this by using vivid colors and the point of view of someone watching each scene that takes place. The final thing that I really liked from this book is the fact that the author uses a historical figure, but still made the story believable; he did this by giving the child emotions even children now a day would have. He had Ruby show that she was afraid but excited for the new school, as most children are; he also had her act as a child would instead of being a perfect angel. The main message of this story is that it is not okay to judge someone based on race, and to always give love even if no love is received in return. ( )
  taylorsmith11 | Dec 1, 2015 |
Ruby was a African american girl. She was one of the four girls chose to go to a all white school. When she went to school there was a crowd of angry people. she was the only student there. A few weeks later one parent sent there kid to school .She was tired of her kids not getting the ecation they need. Some parents still were mad. Later in the school year some kids went back to school. Ruby was still hated by some teachers and the principal. Her teacher had a talk with the principal. The principal was still mad. She got bad grades. Ruby knew what was going on but she ignored it. Later their was a law that made all school unsegrated. ( )
  AsiaS.B1 | Nov 2, 2015 |
I like this book because of the illustrations and the explanation of an important historical event. This book shows a perspective that many students are not aware of. For example, it shows the struggle of a child, just like the children in the class, who had to face adversity and discrimination. The main idea is to present an event in history. ( )
  Ajohns93 | Oct 21, 2015 |

This is the story of a young girl who is sent to new school because desegregation is taking place. Ruby has to go through many trials and tribulations but she was very brave and overcame a lot.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Biography
"Please, God, try to forgive those people. Because even if they say those bad things, They don't know what they're doing."

This is the true story of an extraordinary 6-year-old who helped shape history when she became the first African-American sent to first grade in an all white school. This moving book captures the courage of a little girl standing alone in the face of racism.

"Ford's moving watercolor paintings...capture the...warmth of Ruby's family and community, the immense powers against her, and her shining inner strength." --Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

For months six-year-old Ruby Bridges must confront the hostility of white parents when she becomes the first African American girl to integrate William Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans in 1960.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,048,760 books! | Top bar: Always visible