The Story Of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

The Story Of Ruby Bridges (edition 1995)

by Robert Coles, George Ford (Illustrator)

Member:Jmoreeda
Title:The Story Of Ruby Bridges
Authors:Robert Coles
Other authors:George Ford (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:civil rights, desegregation, Ruby Bridges, New Orleans

The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

This is the story of Ruby Bridges, a young girl who was ordered to attend a white elementary school during the time of segregation. It explains how many parents took their children out, and how there were protesters. It explains how scared Ruby was, but that she was grateful to be able to attend a good school. It explained her bravery and eagerness to receive her education.

I remember learning about this girl when I was in elementary school and trying to fathom having to deal with that. It really puts the importance of education in perspective, and how some people actually had to fight for it.

It's important for young kids to learn this story. Although kids sometimes put education for granted, I think that this story would help to explain why it is such a treasure. Kids nowadays don't realize that their education is free, and it such a blessing.
  meygyn11 | Apr 22, 2017 |
Summary: Ruby Bridges, a first grader who was colored, was ordered to attend first grade at an all white school in their new town. Extremely bright for her age, Ruby faces diversity and racism and teaches us all a valuable lesson on what it means to love one another.

Critique of Genre: Biography

Art Media: Painting

Age: third ( )
  sbyington16 | Apr 18, 2017 |
The Story of Ruby Bridges is an amazing book that tells the story of an even more amazing young girl and the adversity that she had to deal with growing up. She was the first black girl to be sent to an all-white school when segregation was struck down by the Supreme Court. You follow her daily struggles with racism and how she was scared to walk to school. This is a touching book that teaches us about acceptance and how we can come together as a society to make the world a better place. An activity for this book would be to draw and color a picture of Ruby Bridges. Another activity would be to list six facts that you learned about Ruby Bridges. ( )
  chad.erickson | Mar 26, 2017 |
Ruby Bridges was a young girl during segregation when 4 African American girls were chosen to go to white schools. Although Ruby's family was honored that their daughter got chosen, they were scared of the discrimination that Ruby may have to witness first hand. Ruby was met with protests against Ruby going to school. She saw them everyday, and was escorted by marshals so that she would not be harmed. White families eventually took their children out of school in protest. Ruby excelled in school, despite the hate that was thrown at her. Her teacher soon discovers that every day Ruby prays to God to forgive the mob. She asks him to forgive their angry words, and to love them.

This was a very heartfelt story. I couldn't imagine being a child, and having so many individuals hate me for just being me. I don't know how Ruby had the strength for that, but I don't know if I could ever.

Children these days don't realize how lucky hey are to be protected in schools. Back then, this wasn't the case. Schools were segregated by law. I think that although young children may no be able to comprehend the entirety of the civil rights movement, this would be a great way to introduce it.
  meygyn11 | Mar 21, 2017 |
Elementary
  SteppLibrary | Mar 20, 2017 |

This is the story of a young girl who is sent to new school because desegregation is taking place. Ruby has to go through many trials and tribulations but she was very brave and overcame a lot.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Biography
"Please, God, try to forgive those people. Because even if they say those bad things, They don't know what they're doing."

This is the true story of an extraordinary 6-year-old who helped shape history when she became the first African-American sent to first grade in an all white school. This moving book captures the courage of a little girl standing alone in the face of racism.

"Ford's moving watercolor paintings...capture the...warmth of Ruby's family and community, the immense powers against her, and her shining inner strength." --Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:16 -0400)

For months six-year-old Ruby Bridges must confront the hostility of white parents when she becomes the first African American girl to integrate William Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans in 1960.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,485,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible