The Story Of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

The Story Of Ruby Bridges (edition 1995)

by Robert Coles, George Ford (Illustrator)

Member:Jmoreeda
Title:The Story Of Ruby Bridges
Authors:Robert Coles
Other authors:George Ford (Illustrator)
Info:
Tags:civil rights, desegregation, Ruby Bridges, New Orleans

The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

That it is a very good book. And that it is inspiring to kids. ( )
  Maya.Gaytan | Oct 19, 2014 |
"The Story of Ruby Bridges" is a book that I believe is an important one for people of all ages to read. It is an important part of our history as a nation and it should not be forgotten. This book in particular is needed even more so today. As we get farther and farther away from this event, it becomes even more imperative that we remember and continue to learn from our past mistakes and incidences of racism and intolerance. This book tells the story of a young Ruby Bridges who was the first African American student to attend an all white school in New Orleans. Teaching the Civil Rights movement to children is a subject that for many of them confuses them. They see their friends of all different skin colors and think about how it is absurd that they would be forced into a different school. That is why books like these are so important as it takes a very complex situation and explains it to them in a way that is easier to understand. It is important that we have books that teach our children about our mistakes and failings so they can hopefully learn from them. This book in particular does a wonderful job of displaying Ruby's bravery and courage. For an entire year, Ruby walked to school with people shouting horrendous and villainous things to her. Her own family suffered because of this social taboo but in the end, she took a stand and fought back against injustice where she saw it. What is most amazing is that she did it in the most passive way possible. She merely went to school. The bright vivid colors of the book help connect the reader with the audience as well as bring the character of Ruby to life. This book is a biography of a sorts but also contains a message. At 5 years old, young Ruby Bridges did her part to put an end to the injustice of the separate but equal school system in the south. This shows all of us who learn of her story that no matter how small we are, we can make an enormous difference in fighting injustice and prejudice in out society. ( )
  MattM50 | Oct 14, 2014 |
This is an amazing story about a little girl with a forgiving heart. "Please God, try to forgive those people because even if they say those bad things, they don't know what they are doing. So You could forgive them, just like You did those folks a long time ago when they said terrible things about You." For classroom application, I would take a drawing of a child and explain that he goes to a different school and the kids are unkind to him. I'd get the students to suggest what they might say (I.e. his clothes look funny). Each time they say something unkind, rip the drawing or scrunch up the paper. Soon it looks messy. Now we can practice apologizing and smoothing out the wrinkles and taping the rips. The end result is a drawing that looks ok, but is still tattered. It shows the lasting effects of unkindess and how we must be very careful with our words and actions. ( )
  rmhuey | Jun 22, 2014 |
Ruby Bridges was the only African American child to attend a New Orleans elementary school after integration laws in 1960. This book tells about her journey of dealing with this important piece in history. I learned a lot from this book and would recommend this book to teaching about segregation. ( )
  aloupe | Feb 26, 2014 |
The Story of Ruby Bridges is a children's book that stresses the religious nature of Ruby and her family's lives. Robert Coles describes how the family went to church every Sunday and how they prayed for Ruby to be a "credit to all the American people" (7). Her mother wanted her to have a close relationship with God and it seems that she did. The twist at the end of the book is that, when Ruby appears to be talking to the belligerent mob, she is actually praying for them. Although Coles does not come out and say it,he suggests that Ruby's calm demeanor is attributable to her faith.The story is told in a clear, simplistic manner, and would be appropriate for early elementary students. I only have one note of criticism for this book, really: When Coles describes Ruby's appearance, he says, "Wearing a clean dress and a bow in her hair and carrying her lunch pail, Ruby walked slowly for the first few blocks" (12).I question why Coles feels the need to explain that Ruby's dress is clean.Does he believe his audience would assume otherwise? Nevertheless, it is a good book. It explains the story of a heroic girl that would certainly resonate with little ones who do not hear of many heroes their own size.
  Melissalorio | Feb 1, 2014 |

This is the story of a young girl who is sent to new school because desegregation is taking place. Ruby has to go through many trials and tribulations but she was very brave and overcame a lot.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Biography
"Please, God, try to forgive those people. Because even if they say those bad things, They don't know what they're doing."

This is the true story of an extraordinary 6-year-old who helped shape history when she became the first African-American sent to first grade in an all white school. This moving book captures the courage of a little girl standing alone in the face of racism.

"Ford's moving watercolor paintings...capture the...warmth of Ruby's family and community, the immense powers against her, and her shining inner strength." --Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:52 -0400)

For months six-year-old Ruby Bridges must confront the hostility of white parents when she becomes the first African American girl to integrate Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans in 1960.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,415,921 books! | Top bar: Always visible