The Story Of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

The Story Of Ruby Bridges (edition 1995)

by Robert Coles, George Ford (Illustrator)

Member:Jmoreeda
Title:The Story Of Ruby Bridges
Authors:Robert Coles
Other authors:George Ford (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Press (1995), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:civil rights, desegregation, Ruby Bridges, New Orleans

The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles

In my opinion, the book "The Story of Ruby Bridges", written by Robert Coles and illustrated by George Ford, is a great book that teaches children a really strong message. This story follows the experiences of a six-year-old girl, Ruby Bridges, who has been court-ordered to attend an all-white elementary school in 1960. This emotional story of the beginning of desegregation conveys the central message to stand up for what is right, see that anyone can play a part in changing history for the better, and forgiving peoples wrongs.
To convey these messages, the author uses real facts about Ruby Bridges’ experiences when she attends an all-white elementary school in an effort to desegregate schools. The author uses descriptive language and imagery to pull the reader into Ruby’s story and feel empathy for her character. For example, when Ruby attended the elementary school, she had to be escorted with security for her protection. Outside of the school, parents protested Ruby coming to the school and often made verbal threats to her. Although this was happening everyday, Ruby always went to school and tried her best to succeed in school. Parents even stopped allowing their children to attend the school in hopes that it would force the school to remove Ruby.
The tone that the author uses throughout the story gives the readers an understanding of the torment that Ruby faced and the courage she had to continue to go to the school. The descriptive language used throughout the book, specifically to describe the harassment Ruby faced, helped convey the message that you should stand up for what is right. Ruby knew that although she was facing harassment daily, she was working towards a better society where segregation no longer existed.
The author’s use of characterization contributed greatly to the message that anyone can play a part in changing and shaping history. The author chose to use the story of six-year-old Ruby in order to relate to younger readers and allow them to make connections with the character. The characterization used also shows the reader that anyone, no matter how small or how young, can make a difference in the world if they are determined. The last message in this story, forgiving peoples wrongs, is conveyed through the dialogue of Ruby Bridges. Everyday, Ruby says a prayer on her way to school that G-d will not punish these people who are harassing her and can forgive them because they do not know they are doing anything wrong. This use of dialogue shows Ruby’s courage, strength, and compassion to others, which helps the reader to understand the importance of forgiveness.
Overall, I think this story is an amazing way to teach readers about desegregation and the battles people like Ruby Bridges had to face. Through illustrations and the author’s use of characterization, descriptive language, and powerful dialogue, the author is able to convey the importance of standing up for what is right, knowing anyone can play a part in changing or shaping history, and forgiving people for their wrongs. ( )
  heathergoodman | Feb 17, 2015 |
The story of Ruby Bridges told the story of a young girl who lived during the time of segregation, but became the first African- American to be sent to an all white school. It tells about her courage and how she played a part in shaping history of the schools to what it is today. I liked this book for three reasons. The first reason I liked it was because it is a biography. Non-fiction books that are biographies catch my interest because I know that it is factual information.
The second reason I liked this book was because of the breath-taking illustrations. The pictures showed the mean expressions of the mobs and how angry they were that Ruby Bridges was "ruining" their all white school system. The third reason I liked this book was because it included an "afterward" section at the end of the story. I thought this was very interesting because it did not leave the reader wondering what happened in history after ruby Bridge's story. ( )
  JeNeeH | Feb 15, 2015 |
I read The Story of Ruby Bridges by Robert Coles. I liked this book because it took me back to a time that I wasn’t alive to see. I liked how as I read the book I could imagine exactly what was happening in the book. The author made me feel as if I was there. This book was about a little black girl named Ruby who was one of the first black students to go to an all-white school. White people were not happy about this. They protested for weeks. In the book it says, “People called Ruby names; some wanted to hurt her…” Instead of Ruby fighting back with hatred, she prayed for the whites who protested outside her school. This book brought the messages that we must not fight hate with hate. ( )
  KinderelHodgson | Feb 12, 2015 |
I learned a lot from Ruby Bridges. I had no idea about her story. I knew about the high schools, but I can’t imagine being in elementary school and going through her story. It made me think about being in Ruby’s situation and what I would have done. She seemed very mature for her age and definitely deserved to go to school. When she was being yelled at before she came into school every day, her teacher saw her stop and speak to the crowd, although she was just praying. The strength it takes to still pray for others as they are yelling hateful things at you, shows that Ruby was a fantastic young lady and had a bright future. Even though this book took place when so many important historical events were happening, it is still aimed at elementary school children. This book can easily be read to teach about America’s history and provide a great lesson for children. I think the big message in this book is everyone deserves an education. Now we still face this problem with bilingual and multicultural students. Even though all students do not speak English, they should still be provided with the same educational opportunities. ( )
  AudreyLast | Feb 9, 2015 |
I picked this book because of the title, something about it caught my eye. As soon as I started reading, I couldn't put it down. It is an incredible story from an important point in history. The main character, who is a young girl, is selected to be one of the first African American students to attend an all white school. Throughout this journey, she endures hardships but her faith in God prevails. I really liked how the story was told, it made me keep wanting to read and the illustrations helped me visualize what the character was going through. I believe the main message of this story was how to keep pushing forward to complete what you need to do even if everyone around you is doing everything they can to knock you down. The main character shows how bravery and forgiveness goes a long way. ( )
  Kelsey_Barrell | Feb 9, 2015 |

This is the story of a young girl who is sent to new school because desegregation is taking place. Ruby has to go through many trials and tribulations but she was very brave and overcame a lot.

Let Scholastic Bookshelf be your guide through the whole range of your child's experiences-laugh with them, learn with them, read with them!

Eight classic, best-selling titles are available now!

Category: Biography
"Please, God, try to forgive those people. Because even if they say those bad things, They don't know what they're doing."

This is the true story of an extraordinary 6-year-old who helped shape history when she became the first African-American sent to first grade in an all white school. This moving book captures the courage of a little girl standing alone in the face of racism.

"Ford's moving watercolor paintings...capture the...warmth of Ruby's family and community, the immense powers against her, and her shining inner strength." --Booklist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:04:52 -0400)

For months six-year-old Ruby Bridges must confront the hostility of white parents when she becomes the first African American girl to integrate Frantz Elementary School in New Orleans in 1960.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,712,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible