Among the Enemy (Shadow Children) by…

Among the Enemy (Shadow Children) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)

Member:ImperfectCJ
Title:Among the Enemy (Shadow Children)
Authors:Margaret Peterson Haddix (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2006), Edition: Reprint, 240 pages
Collections:Progeny2, Read but unowned

Among the Enemy by Margaret Peterson Haddix (2005)

Mathias was a third child during a time when when third children were illegal. When he and his friends escape the population police, Mathias accidentally saves the life of one population police officer. Regarded as a hero, he is treated like a son by the commander and is enrolled as an officer himself. There he meets friends he had lost track of, and, together, they plan another rebellion.

Although Haddix creates a wonderful world, here, and populates it with realistic characters, I found this particular book of the series a little less exciting than the others. Still good, though, it reflects the importance of fighting for what is right. ( )
  Sandralovesbooks | May 23, 2017 |
(see Book 1) Matthias as protagonist. The Christian elements are most prominent in this volume, but in an organic and not "preachy" way, just as part of this character's life. The underlying conflict of good and evil is fundamentally religious, however. ( )
  librisissimo | Jan 29, 2017 |
I don't know why I feel compelled to finish this series out...there's only one more to endure. I guess it's the fact that I've hooked so many kids onto the series this year; it feels wrong to have 3 of these boys 2 books ahead and a line of them ready to get there. It shouldn't be without me, right?

Anyway, I could barely stand this one, but I'm not sure if I've had it with the writing style because it's the 6th one I've read, or if the story sucked...

I didn't get sick of Percy Jackson, though; I became increasingly interested in that story despite reading the lines, "I uncapped Riptide" approximately nine thousand times. No....maybe Haddix just gets annoying after a while. Either way, my students loved this one equally (although they all agree that Imposters was the best) so I can't really give it 1 star. I didn't throw the book, and that says SOMETHING about its worth.

Moving on to what is thankfully the last in the Shadow Children series. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
Some comments for now on the series were made for the first book. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
The weakest in the series I think. There was no reason for Matthias to mourn so strongly someone for he knew for a day or two and the thought that he and the commanding officer would bond so strongly over someone he barely knew seemed more "convenient" for the author, than logical for the readers. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |

Haddix, Margaret Petersonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Münch, BettinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Will and Jenna
Matthias was sound asleep when the Population Police arrived at Niedler School.

HIDE OR FIGHT?

Matthias, an illegal third child, is caught in the cross fire between rebels and the Population Police. When he unwittingly saves a Population Police officer, Matthias is brought to Population Police headquarters to train as an officer himself. There he meets Nina, another third-born who enlists his help in a plot to undermine the Population Police. But Matthias is under constant scrutiny, and he has no idea whom he can trust. What can one boy do against a wicked bureaucracy?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:38 -0400)

In a society that allows families to have only two children, third child Matthias joins the Population Police to infiltrate their system.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,616,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible