The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The God of Small Things (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Arundhati Roy

13,020None173 (3.9)420
Member:brigneti
Title:The God of Small Things
Authors:Arundhati Roy
Info:Random House Inc (1997), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 350 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (1997)

Recently added byKirstie_Innes-Will, seehuhn, smitha_1988, the_amarant, private library, Heather3, etherai
Legacy LibrariesThomas C. Dent
1001 (79) 1001 books (60) 20th century (106) book club (45) Booker (108) Booker Prize (240) Booker Prize Winner (85) caste (50) childhood (61) contemporary (56) contemporary fiction (77) family (147) fiction (1,850) India (1,045) Indian (169) Indian fiction (65) Indian literature (167) Indien (37) Kerala (67) literary fiction (48) literature (146) love (60) magical realism (79) novel (279) own (61) read (144) Roman (41) to-read (190) twins (133) unread (99)

English (205)  Spanish (6)  French (4)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  Catalan (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (230)
A very sad story, very touching and sincere ( )
  katnys | Mar 31, 2014 |
Brutal, beautiful, unforgiving. Sad, but in a way that seemed inevitable, not gratuitous.

Despite liking this book a lot, I would be cautious about recommending it to others. You need a tolerance for a certain kind of writing--it's not poetry, but the language occupies a similar place in some ways, with its repetition, creativity, and occasional preciousness. Sometimes it lays it on a little thick.

I was impressed with how the author handled the non-linear timeline. Very well structured. ( )
  thatotter | Feb 6, 2014 |
To paraphrase Brendan Behan (on the subject of Gertrude Stein), you will not see me jump for joy at prose by Arundhati Roy. Granted, Ms Roy is a personally brave person of unquestioned righteousness, but . . . You know, boys and girls, one of the many problems with rioting is that it almost inevitably leads to trampling. In this case, the riot of imagery tramples any possibility of coherence or credibility in this particular opus. ( )
  HarryMacDonald | Dec 29, 2013 |
This is one book that is considered 'difficult' that I enjoyed a lot and had no problem understanding it at any place. In fact it was page turner for me. For whatever reason, I absolutely could not put it down. The story can be summed up as a one big tragedy befalling the characters. They are the people who are weak and thus helpless. Velutha is an 'untouchable', Ammu a feisty divorced woman with two kids, and several other characters in the book are simply on the wrong side of the society and the ends they meet is the direct result of that. ( )
  AyeshaF | Dec 9, 2013 |
I would like to start by saying that I thought the writing was beautiful and for that it deserved to win the Man Booker prize. I wasn't sure whether to give it 3 or 4 stars but gave 4 in the end because the prose was so lovely. That said, it is a very sad, tragic tale, written in retrospect, so that the storyline is revealed gradually, interspersed with the present, which in its bleakness tells its own story. It is understated and contained prose which I happen to like, but I can imagine that this would not appeal to everyone. For me, this was a book well worth reading. ( )
1 vote shirleybell | Sep 26, 2013 |
If Ms. Roy is sometimes overzealous in foreshadowing her characters' fate, resorting on occasion to darkly portentous clues, she proves remarkably adept at infusing her story with the inexorable momentum of tragedy. She writes near the beginning of the novel that in India, personal despair ''could never be desperate enough,'' that ''it was never important enough'' because ''worse things had happened'' and ''kept happening.'' Yet as rendered in this remarkable novel, the ''relative smallness'' of her characters' misfortunes remains both heartbreaking and indelible.

Arundhati Royprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one.

John Berger
For Mary Roy, who grew me up. Who taught me to say "excuse me" before interrupting her in Public. Who loved me enough to let me go. For LKC, who, like me, survived.
May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
Maj je v Ajemenemu vroč, morast mesec.
"D'you know what happens when you hurt people? When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less."
"Just ignore her," Ammu said. "She's just trying to attract attention."

Ammu too was wrong. Rahel was trying to not attract the attention that she deserved.
Rahel looked around her and saw that she was in a Play. But she had only a small part.
She was just the landscape. A flower perhaps. Or a tree.
A face in the crowd. A Townspeople.
Heaven opened and the water hammered down, reviving the reluctant old well, greenmossing the pigless pigsty, carpet bombing still, tea-coloured puddles the way memory bombs still, tea-coloured minds.
Rahel drifted into marriage like a passenger drifts towards an unoccupied chair in an airport lounge. With a Sitting Down sense.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060977493, Paperback)

In her first novel, award-winning Indian screenwriter Arundhati Roy conjures a whoosh of wordplay that rises from the pages like a brilliant jazz improvisation. The God of Small Things is nominally the story of young twins Rahel and Estha and the rest of their family, but the book feels like a million stories spinning out indefinitely; it is the product of a genius child-mind that takes everything in and transforms it in an alchemy of poetry. The God of Small Things is at once exotic and familiar to the Western reader, written in an English that's completely new and invigorated by the Asian Indian influences of culture and language.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:29 -0400)

The story of an Indian family during the 1969 Communist disturbances in Kerala province. It is told through the eyes of a boy and his sister who are the children of a rich rubber planter. Politics, family drama, illicit love. A debut in fiction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible