The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

The God of Small Things (original 1997; edition 2004)

by Arundhati Roy

In 1969 in Kerala, India, Rahel and her twin brother, Estha, struggle to forge a childhood for themselves amid the destruction of their family life, as they discover that the entire world can be transformed in a single moment.
Member:hnn
Title:The God of Small Things
Authors:Arundhati Roy
Info:Harper Perennial (2004), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Just read
Tags:india, fiction

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (1997)

English (255)  Spanish (7)  French (6)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (288)
eh ( )
  Adammmmm | Sep 10, 2019 |
I hate to admit to the fact that I found this rather highly rated book to be rather disappointing.

I am considering rereading it to see whether my perspective on this book, as on so many other things in the past ten years, has changed.
Read, Write, Dream, Teach !

ShiraDest
19 February, 12016 HE
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Jumped around too much and was hard to follow. ( )
  sandra.pinkerton83 | Apr 16, 2019 |
cannot connect with characters ( )
  kakadoo202 | Apr 2, 2019 |

Read, Write, Dream, Teach !

ShiraDest
19 February, 12016 HE
  ShiraDest | Mar 6, 2019 |
If Ms. Roy is sometimes overzealous in foreshadowing her characters' fate, resorting on occasion to darkly portentous clues, she proves remarkably adept at infusing her story with the inexorable momentum of tragedy. She writes near the beginning of the novel that in India, personal despair ''could never be desperate enough,'' that ''it was never important enough'' because ''worse things had happened'' and ''kept happening.'' Yet as rendered in this remarkable novel, the ''relative smallness'' of her characters' misfortunes remains both heartbreaking and indelible.

Roy, Arundhatiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jonkheer, ChristienTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one.

John Berger
For Mary Roy, who grew me up. Who taught me to say "excuse me" before interrupting her in Public. Who loved me enough to let me go.

For LKC, who, like me, survived.
May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
Maj je v Ajemenemu vroč, morast mesec.
"D'you know what happens when you hurt people? When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less."
"Just ignore her," Ammu said. "She's just trying to attract attention."

Ammu too was wrong. Rahel was trying to not attract the attention that she deserved.
Rahel looked around her and saw that she was in a Play. But she had only a small part.
She was just the landscape. A flower perhaps. Or a tree.
A face in the crowd. A Townspeople.
Heaven opened and the water hammered down, reviving the reluctant old well, greenmossing the pigless pigsty, carpet bombing still, tea-coloured puddles the way memory bombs still, tea-coloured minds.
Rahel drifted into marriage like a passenger drifts towards an unoccupied chair in an airport lounge. With a Sitting Down sense.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,152,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible