The god of small things by Arundhati Roy

The god of small things (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Arundhati Roy

Member:sjmccreary
Title:The god of small things
Authors:Arundhati Roy
Info:New York : Random House, c1997.
Collections:Your library, To read, Owned books, 1001 books
Tags:tututhefirst, fiction, India

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (Author) (1997)

English (226)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (5)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (255)
By the end of the book, I enjoyed the story. However, I did not enjoy the writing style. The sentence fragments and fragmented story were just a bit too much. In some scenes, there was TOO much detail and information and other scenes seemed to lack anything other than the basic information, when I, as a reader, would have liked a little more. ( )
  KimKimpton | Jul 14, 2016 |
a novel excellent
Fate of twins in Indian Family — town by caste, religion + politics

The year is 1969. In the state of Kerala, on the southernmost tip of India, fraternal twins Esthappen and Rahel fashion a childhood for themselves in the shade of the wreck that is their family. Their lonely, lovely mother, Ammu, (who loves by night the man her children love by day), fled an abusive marriage to live with their blind grandmother, Mammachi (who plays Handel on her violin), their beloved uncle Chacko (Rhodes scholar, pickle baron, radical Marxist, bottom-pincher), and their enemy, Baby Kochamma (ex-nun and incumbent grandaunt). When Chacko's English ex-wife brings their daughter for a Christmas visit, the twins learn that things can change in a day, that lives can twist into new, ugly shapes, even cease forever, beside their river..
  christinejoseph | Jul 11, 2016 |
This novel is a piece of crap with no redeeming qualities. Don't waste your time. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
What sets Roy's wring apart from others is her creative use of language. Imagine the farting of mud as steps are taken. She was you in the story telling hat happened before and hat happens after, but it is is not till the end that she tells you what happened. Telling the story through the inexperience of twins also helps convey the story of innocent people caught in actions of which they have no control. I was glad I had visited Cochin before reading this, it gave me a better idea of the lushness of the natural beauty. ( )
  brangwinn | May 16, 2016 |
The literary equivalent of taking drugs. A strange cartoon-like and anthropomorphised world in which time is mashed up and things are often very funny. I couldn't finish it. Perhaps my mood or perhaps the lack of narrative drive is to blame, but I was left thinking that there are better things to be doing with my time, like reading Career of Evil. I just had no urge to read on, but don't let that put you off. I'll probably come back to it at some point.
  Lukerik | May 3, 2016 |
If Ms. Roy is sometimes overzealous in foreshadowing her characters' fate, resorting on occasion to darkly portentous clues, she proves remarkably adept at infusing her story with the inexorable momentum of tragedy. She writes near the beginning of the novel that in India, personal despair ''could never be desperate enough,'' that ''it was never important enough'' because ''worse things had happened'' and ''kept happening.'' Yet as rendered in this remarkable novel, the ''relative smallness'' of her characters' misfortunes remains both heartbreaking and indelible.

Roy, ArundhatiAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one.

John Berger
For Mary Roy, who grew me up. Who taught me to say "excuse me" before interrupting her in Public. Who loved me enough to let me go. For LKC, who, like me, survived.
May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
Maj je v Ajemenemu vroč, morast mesec.
"D'you know what happens when you hurt people? When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less."
"Just ignore her," Ammu said. "She's just trying to attract attention."

Ammu too was wrong. Rahel was trying to not attract the attention that she deserved.
Rahel looked around her and saw that she was in a Play. But she had only a small part.
She was just the landscape. A flower perhaps. Or a tree.
A face in the crowd. A Townspeople.
Heaven opened and the water hammered down, reviving the reluctant old well, greenmossing the pigless pigsty, carpet bombing still, tea-coloured puddles the way memory bombs still, tea-coloured minds.
Rahel drifted into marriage like a passenger drifts towards an unoccupied chair in an airport lounge. With a Sitting Down sense.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060977493, Paperback)

In her first novel, award-winning Indian screenwriter Arundhati Roy conjures a whoosh of wordplay that rises from the pages like a brilliant jazz improvisation. The God of Small Things is nominally the story of young twins Rahel and Estha and the rest of their family, but the book feels like a million stories spinning out indefinitely; it is the product of a genius child-mind that takes everything in and transforms it in an alchemy of poetry. The God of Small Things is at once exotic and familiar to the Western reader, written in an English that's completely new and invigorated by the Asian Indian influences of culture and language.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

The story of an Indian family during the 1969 Communist disturbances in Kerala province. It is told through the eyes of a boy and his sister who are the children of a rich rubber planter. Politics, family drama, illicit love. A debut in fiction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,591,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible