The god of small things by Arundhati Roy

The god of small things (original 1997; edition 1997)

by Arundhati Roy

Title:The god of small things
Authors:Arundhati Roy
Info:New York : Random House, c1997.
Collections:Your library, To read, Owned books, 1001 books
Tags:tututhefirst, fiction, India

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy (1997)

English (215)  Spanish (6)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  Italian (4)  French (3)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Catalan (1)  Finnish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (243)
I read this book many years ago for a book club and my opinion was mixed. I thought it was an interesting portrait of a specific time for India, but I wasn't overly impressed with the novel. But, I'm not sure why, after rereading it, I LOVE this book. The writing is stunning and there is such a depth of emotion. Beautiful imagery, heartbreaking story, great novel. ( )
  jmoncton | Nov 15, 2015 |
Rarely does one come across a book so beautiful that the picture it paints in your mind stays with you long after you have flipped the last page, with a heavy heart, if I may be allowed to add. A book worded so intricately and enchantingly that it makes you read on...
Read my complete review: http://lenro.co/blog/the-god-of-small-things-review/ ( )
  Saurabh.Hooda | Oct 29, 2015 |
One of the greatest books I've ever read. It starts off slow, but once the reader gets acquainted with her use of language and the development of the characters it becomes a powerful book focusing on identity, hybridity, and power in post-colonial India. ( )
  Todd.Burst | Aug 28, 2015 |
Amazing use of language. Political, social, erotic, cultural themes knit together in a tragic re-telling of forbidden love in India. ( )
1 vote RobinGregoryAuthor | Aug 20, 2015 |
The prose is beautiful and flowing. The story is heartbreaking, and told in a way that keeps the reader engaged. A truly wonderful read. ( )
  JenLamoureux | Jul 29, 2015 |
If Ms. Roy is sometimes overzealous in foreshadowing her characters' fate, resorting on occasion to darkly portentous clues, she proves remarkably adept at infusing her story with the inexorable momentum of tragedy. She writes near the beginning of the novel that in India, personal despair ''could never be desperate enough,'' that ''it was never important enough'' because ''worse things had happened'' and ''kept happening.'' Yet as rendered in this remarkable novel, the ''relative smallness'' of her characters' misfortunes remains both heartbreaking and indelible.

Arundhati Royprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lundborg, GunillaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Never again will a single story be told as though it's the only one.

John Berger
For Mary Roy, who grew me up. Who taught me to say "excuse me" before interrupting her in Public. Who loved me enough to let me go. For LKC, who, like me, survived.
May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month.
Maj je v Ajemenemu vroč, morast mesec.
"D'you know what happens when you hurt people? When you hurt people, they begin to love you less. That's what careless words do. They make people love you a little less."
"Just ignore her," Ammu said. "She's just trying to attract attention."

Ammu too was wrong. Rahel was trying to not attract the attention that she deserved.
Rahel looked around her and saw that she was in a Play. But she had only a small part.
She was just the landscape. A flower perhaps. Or a tree.
A face in the crowd. A Townspeople.
Heaven opened and the water hammered down, reviving the reluctant old well, greenmossing the pigless pigsty, carpet bombing still, tea-coloured puddles the way memory bombs still, tea-coloured minds.
Rahel drifted into marriage like a passenger drifts towards an unoccupied chair in an airport lounge. With a Sitting Down sense.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060977493, Paperback)

In her first novel, award-winning Indian screenwriter Arundhati Roy conjures a whoosh of wordplay that rises from the pages like a brilliant jazz improvisation. The God of Small Things is nominally the story of young twins Rahel and Estha and the rest of their family, but the book feels like a million stories spinning out indefinitely; it is the product of a genius child-mind that takes everything in and transforms it in an alchemy of poetry. The God of Small Things is at once exotic and familiar to the Western reader, written in an English that's completely new and invigorated by the Asian Indian influences of culture and language.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:37 -0400)

The story of an Indian family during the 1969 Communist disturbances in Kerala province. It is told through the eyes of a boy and his sister who are the children of a rich rubber planter. Politics, family drama, illicit love. A debut in fiction.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible