The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille

The Gold Coast (original 1990; edition 1997)

by Nelson DeMille

Member:yrizaria
Title:The Gold Coast
Authors:Nelson DeMille
Info:Warner Books (1997), Paperback, 707 pages
Tags:thriller

The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille (1990)

Long, but worth it...great payoff at the end! Very interesting study of one man's life crumbling away and this being analagous to the dying off of two other cultures (these being organized crime and the legendary Gold Coast).
  JulsLane | Jun 15, 2016 |
I kept comparing this in my head to Sidney Sheldon's [b:Rage of Angels|43328|Rage of Angels|Sidney Sheldon|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1170095439s/43328.jpg|1475717] -- both books are a few decades old, both involve lawyer main characters and Mafia-related secondary characters. I loved Rage of Angels, and really wanted to love this too. But I never quite *got* the marriage between John Sutter and his wife. We're constantly reminded that they love each other, but most of the time he doesn't seem to like her very much. Not that he dislikes her either -- he seems to feel curiously insouciant toward the beautiful, rich wife with whom he regularly has amazing and creative sex. The lack of emotion was weird and off-putting.

The picture DeMille paints of the Gold Coast, however, was lovely and made me want to rent a car and drive out among the old mansions.

There are a few recurring bits of the book that haven't aged so well; it seems silly that John has never heard of (and is horrified by the idea of) fried squid / calamari, and is overwhelmed by the discovery of Pellegrino, the fascinating Italian carbonated water. Also, at some point John makes a prediction that Little Italy will far outlast the Gold Coast because there's something so unchanging about it... but if you've been to Manhattan lately, you know Little Italy has shrunk to nothing but a two-block stretch of Mulberry Street. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
DeMille's best, or so they say, and a great book--but not one of my all time favorites. Very clever and sarcastic, I felt like John Corey was in that book...must be the author? Demille is a great storyteller. Well researched and set on Long Island's Gold coast -- everyone in America is expected to understand that, right? Never been there, never wanted to go; but, the book piqued my interest. It was a bit heavy on the Italian. Great characters--the manipulating mafiosi, the mid-life crisis lawyer and his strange wife. The Great Gatsby meets The Godfather! ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 16, 2015 |
After reading the John Cory series, I thought I would love this DeMille book as well. Not so. It took 10 chapters to just set the scene and introduce the characters. I kept waiting for the story to begin. The redeeming aspect is the humor of the main character, John Sutter, written in first person style. Very clever and funny writing but I wanted more out of the plot. John's wife, Susan, is almost 1 dimensional and frankly unbelievable for me, or maybe I'm just ignorant and naïve about what rich people are like. I actually liked the villain, Frank Bellarosa, because he was so interesting. Maybe that was part of the point; Frank was so skilled at manipulation that he could seduce even very wealthy and intelligent people. Anyway, since I "read" the book as an audio book, I didn't feel I wasted my time because I could perform my mundane daily routines while listening and not loose any time. I probably won't read, The Gate House, the sequel. ( )
  gaillamontagne | Apr 7, 2015 |
This was a book club read that was selected on very short notice. Our group had been reading a number of "heavy" books in a row and decided that a last minute change in selections was necessary. This book was selected for its (sarcastic) humor and its easy/quick read nature.

While I believe it met all of our impromptu requirements and while our group of 10-12 were divided among those who liked and didn't liked, I don't foresee myself picking up another DeMille book any time soon. The author, in the foreword included in my edition, stated his intention with this book to be The Godfather meets The Great Gatsby. The attempt is obvious, the success not so much. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
A man lives not only his personal life as an individual, but also, consciously or unconsciously, the life of his epoch and his contemporaries. --Thomas Mann The Magic Mountain
To my three budding authors: Ryan, Lauren, and Alex.
I first met Frank Bellarosa on a sunny Saturday in April at Hicks' Nursery, an establishment that has catered to the local gentry for over a hundred years.

Welcome to the fabled Gold Coast, that stretch on the North Shore of Long Island that once held the greatest concentration of wealth and power in America. Here two men are destined for an explosive collision: John Sutter, Wall Street lawyer, holding fast to a fading aristocratic legacy; and Frank Bellarosa, the Mafia don who seizes his piece of the staid and unprepared Gold Coast like a latter-day barbarian chief and draws Sutter and his regally beautiful wife, Susan, into his violent world. Told from Sutter's sardonic and often hilarious point of view, and laced with sexual passion and suspense, THE GOLD COAST is Nelson DeMille's captivating story of friendship and seduction, love and betrayal.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

Impoverished attorney John Sutter and his wife find their world colliding with that of their new neighbor, Frank "The Bishop" Bellaros, when John is forced to defend Frank in a murder trial

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,726,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible